• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    It's gorgeous really, Alan, but you already know this wink I've been listening to it constantly for 2 days now, much better constructed and thematic than Henry May long.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Deep Blue - George Fenton

MAGNIFICENT! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    BobdH wrote
    JP: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, PART 1 - Alexandre Desplat

The lukewarm reactions this score is getting got me worried a bit, but the clips on the soundtrack site really surprised me a lot, so I decided to pick this up when I found it this evening in stores. Also because I decided I wanted a musical completion of my Potter collection, which I stopped collecting when Hooper ruined it all. And I'm really, very pleasantly surprised.

Since the booklet already warned me that only 3 tracks contained Hedwig's Theme (which is fair enough - Williams also used it twice a film tops), I knew what I was getting in to. And still, I was surprised at how warm and epic Desplat's sound has become. Besides a few typical trademarks of his, these are only little Desplat-touches within a completely different framework that'll certainly please detractors of the man - my reservations of his intellectual-yet-cold style are gone, with some instantly emotional cello-solo's towards the end. He definitely triggers Williams in the action music, but also the rest of the score seems written to come full circle with Williams' beginnings, hopefully working towards a more thematic finale of Part 2 that confirms this.

There are flaws, of course, some to be considered major even. While Desplat constructed a thematic score, none of these themes truly stand out as a voice for this particular film. Which could be due to some grand design - he might be only setting things up, only to fully developed them come the spectacular finale. As is a major criticism of the film itself, it seems things'll really heaten up in the final part, which is where the music needs to soar. And though I had my doubt Desplat could truly live up to that task, this sneak preview of what is to come has restored my faith. Roll on Part 2!

Bold emphasis mine...

I'll never understand what people are talking about when they describe Desplat's music as cold. I fell in love with it instantaneously...

Cold? I cried like eight times listening to Farewell To Dobby. The only Harry Potter cue which made me cry is Dumbledore's Farewell.
  3. No, I mean many people have described Desplat's previous works as cold and sterile, which I really don't get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    freezing freezing
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Sherlock HOmes (zimmer)

Sublime. You can't get a better Zimmer than this.

Inventive, complex, energic, personal, quirky and symphonic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    pf
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    pf

Are you talking about Inception?

moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I wouldn't include Inception but there are dozens of Zimmer scores that are much better than Sherlock Holmes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I wouldn't include Inception but there are dozens of Zimmer scores that are much better than Sherlock Holmes.

-Erik-

Not IMO, but then, my taste in Zimmer is very selective.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

true. but Sherlock is one of this bests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nope... it's not even Top 10 material. Sherlock comes no where near such scores as...

Backdraft, Beyond Rangoon, An Everlasting Piece, Gladiator, K2, A League of Their Own, The Lion King, Pacific Heights, At World's End, The Prince of Egypt, Radio Flyer and The Thin Red Line.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The man has composed more than 100 scores. So, being in the top 20 means be one of his bests... :P

1-the da vinci code
    2-at world’s end
    3-the last samurai
    4-Hannibal
    5-the ring
    6-tears of the sun
    7-black hawk down.
    8-beyond rangoon
    9-king arthur
    10.peacemaker
    11-backdraft
    12-broken arrow
    13-k2
    14-the holiday
    15-sherlock holmes
    16-inception
    17-the dark knight
    18-angels and demons
    19-the prince of egypt
    20-the thin red line/gladiator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    The man has composed more than 100 scores. So, being in the top 20 means be one of his bests... :P

That's stretching it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tastes' differences are fun smile sherlock holmes is indeed not even one of his most worthile. I find it messy and all over the place. It is raw and unnecessarily loud. In the movie it is horrible and intruding. I agree with erik. But i would add inception in the list of better scores than sh. Way better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    tastes' differences are fun smile sherlock holmes is indeed not even one of his most worthile. I find it messy and all over the place. It is raw and unnecessarily loud. In the movie it is horrible and intruding. I agree with erik. But i would add inception in the list of better scores than sh. Way better.

In the movie Sherlock Holmes is annoying. Noisy. I share that opinion. In Cd I find it pretty interesting in composition and instrumentation (real instrumentation). With a great mix of quirky, victorian, wagnerian, irish music.

Inception it's better than Sherlock in the movie, it's not so intrusive but there is not a musical devolopment on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    NP: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

Got a sneak peak at this album and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. The opening overture is symphonic gold! The rest is mostly electronic but is a sound that is totally appropriate for the film. So far I'm really enjoying this!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

Got a sneak peak at this album and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. The opening overture is symphonic gold! The rest is mostly electronic but is a sound that is totally appropriate for the film. So far I'm really enjoying this!

-Erik-

Absolutly!

At last electronic music that sounds as electronic music.

The orchestral parts are pretty impresive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And hearing old school 8 bit sound effects in "End of Line" put a smile on my face!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The only thing that irritates me about Tron is that Zimmer's Batman scores are an obvious influence. The string ostinatos and the growling low brass bursts are right out of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Ugh! But the symphonic power of this score isn't to be found in any of the Batman scores and that's where this score soars. It's not complex stuff but it's big, bold and I'm shocked to hear this kind of sound come from Daft Punk. Who knew. Starting with the 16th track "Rectifier" til the end this score pours it on. Highly enjoyable!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    The only thing that irritates me about Tron is that Zimmer's Batman scores are an obvious influence. The string ostinatos and the growling low brass bursts are right out of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Ugh! But the symphonic power of this score isn't to be found in any of the Batman scores and that's where this score soars. It's not complex stuff but it's big, bold and I'm shocked to hear this kind of sound come from Daft Punk. Who knew. Starting with the 16th track "Rectifier" til the end this score pours it on. Highly enjoyable!

-Erik-

Agree. In fact I'm tired of this string ostinatos. Even in Zimmer scores itself.

But, the orchestral composition in TRON is beyond what Zimmer wrotte for The Dark Knight. Pretty impressive , specially in the metals and woodwinds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Big Gundown (La Resa Dei Conti) - Ennio Morricone

Saddle up for a great spaghetti western with a good Morricone score !
    Yihaaaa !!
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I seriously considering this as one of the scores of the year! Low Top 10 but my God was that one entertaining album! So much so that I wanted to play it again... alas, I had to move onto something else.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    And hearing old school 8 bit sound effects in "End of Line" put a smile on my face!

-Erik-

You 'n' me both, kid. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Conan. CONAN. CONAN!

What more is there to say?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Lawrence of Arabia
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Larry. Dear old Larry. Dear, dear old Larry. We miss Larry.
    More tea?

In the meantime it's the BROTHERTRUCKING BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS.
    ON ELEVEN!
    MY NEIGHBOURS HATE ME BUT I LAUGH AT THE LAMENTS OF THEIR WOMEN AND DRINK MEAD FROM THE SKULLS OF THEIR CORGIS!
    Ahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaargl! *choke*
    Sorry. Some mead went down the wrong way.
  4. Dude chill out! You're going to have a heart attack before the album ends.

And you know we don't want that.

The Force Unleashed II - Mark Griskey

Only two tracks so far but I like what I'm hearing. Star Wars fans should not be disappointed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Dude chill out!

WHERE IT CONCERNS THE SOUND OF THE CIMMERIAN THERE IS NO CHILLING BUT THE BLOOD OF HIS ENEMIES.
  5. And if you keep shouting like that, you'll have no voice by the end of the score.

But it's not my concern really !!!