• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    Leviathan - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith's most massively underrated score in my opinion.
  1. I don't really like Leviathan, except for a small selection of cues.

Which makes it underrated by me, I guess.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    And if you keep shouting like that, you'll have no voice by the end of the score.

But it's not my concern really !!!

Nothing a good, hot cup of honey 'n' ginger tea won't solve.
    Served in the skulls of my enemies, of course.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    Southall wrote

Excellent themes. Unique and creative sound design. It's not the best he's ever done but it's far from the worst. Good album presentation, too. And you are right, James, besides a few people around here (I think Jordi was championing the score a while back) this one rarely pops up for discussion.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Served in the skulls of my enemies, of course.

Awww, just the way my mother used to make it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    I seriously considering this as one of the scores of the year! Low Top 10 but my God was that one entertaining album! So much so that I wanted to play it again... alas, I had to move onto something else.

-Erik-

After "how to train your dragon", I think Tron Legacy is my second favourite score of the year. Then "airbender", "inception" (no, it's not ilogical. I said it's pretty interesting on the album) and probably Narnia 3.

Again, the orchestral parts like in "rectifier" or "C.I.U" kicks my ass!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Ryomaden Volume 1 - Naoki Sato

Apparently this is the soundtrack to a Japanese historic drama series about 19th century Japan.
    It's a very good mix between electronic and orchestral work, with a rather mordern sound.
    Some very good guitar work, some lovely introspective piano cues, thunderous action cues. Overall a very pleasant and surprising listen.

Yupper! I have all three volume. The 1st volume is still the most enjoyable of the three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Excellent themes. Unique and creative sound design. It's not the best he's ever done but it's far from the worst. Good album presentation, too. And you are right, James, besides a few people around here (I think Jordi was championing the score a while back) this one rarely pops up for discussion.

-Erik-

I LOVE leviathan. I love the unique and creative sound design, and the mix between orchestra and techno bits (wich Goldsmith perfectioned in Total Recall). The only thing I don't like very much is the love theme, but the fanfarre in the final track it's AWESOME.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:TRON legacy

FASCINATING, BOLD AND EPIC, TOUCHING, MODERN, ENJOYABLE, FRESH, COHERENT...

"Outlands", "Adagio for Tron", "the game has changed".... punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Larry. Dear old Larry. Dear, dear old Larry. We miss Larry.
    More tea?

In the meantime it's the BROTHERTRUCKING BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS.
    ON ELEVEN!
    MY NEIGHBOURS HATE ME BUT I LAUGH AT THE LAMENTS OF THEIR WOMEN AND DRINK MEAD FROM THE SKULLS OF THEIR CORGIS!
    Ahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaargl! *choke*
    Sorry. Some mead went down the wrong way.

biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I like this score a lot too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Dude chill out!

WHERE IT CONCERNS THE SOUND OF THE CIMMERIAN THERE IS NO CHILLING BUT THE BLOOD OF HIS ENEMIES.

...and the women too, far from chilling they're lamenting like fuck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

Got a sneak peak at this album and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. The opening overture is symphonic gold! The rest is mostly electronic but is a sound that is totally appropriate for the film. So far I'm really enjoying this!

-Erik-

Interesting. I don't plan to watch the movie, but the score is something i want to listen soon.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Conan. CONAN. CONAN!

What more is there to say?

Breathtaking. Best release of the year hands down smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The only thing that irritates me about Tron is that Zimmer's Batman scores are an obvious influence. The string ostinatos and the growling low brass bursts are right out of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Ugh! But the symphonic power of this score isn't to be found in any of the Batman scores and that's where this score soars. It's not complex stuff but it's big, bold and I'm shocked to hear this kind of sound come from Daft Punk. Who knew. Starting with the 16th track "Rectifier" til the end this score pours it on. Highly enjoyable!

-Erik-

Agree. In fact I'm tired of this string ostinatos. Even in Zimmer scores itself.

But, the orchestral composition in TRON is beyond what Zimmer wrotte for The Dark Knight. Pretty impressive , specially in the metals and woodwinds.

Zimmer changed film music once with THE ROCk and a 2nd time with Gladiator and a 3rd one with Batman Begins, as it seems right now.
  2. NP: Adagio For TRON - A couple of robots

shocked Very good. It's some kind of mix between Philip Glass and Hans Zimmer. Also I love The Grid, especially because of Jeff Bridges's voice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have to hear this smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Zimmer changed film music once with THE ROCk and a 2nd time with Gladiator and a 3rd one with Batman Begins, as it seems right now.

I could say with Black Rain a second time with Crimson Tide a third time with black hawk down and a fourth time with batman begins wink

But How Erik has said, i'm a little bit tired of this "rotating" strings. Ihad enough of it with Batman and Transformers.

PS: Inception or the dark Knight???? Wich score you like most?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Both scores work magnificently in the movies they accompany. As a listening experience on CD, i like Inception more.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The only thing that irritates me about Tron is that Zimmer's Batman scores are an obvious influence. The string ostinatos and the growling low brass bursts are right out of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Ugh! But the symphonic power of this score isn't to be found in any of the Batman scores and that's where this score soars. It's not complex stuff but it's big, bold and I'm shocked to hear this kind of sound come from Daft Punk. Who knew. Starting with the 16th track "Rectifier" til the end this score pours it on. Highly enjoyable!

-Erik-

Agree. In fact I'm tired of this string ostinatos. Even in Zimmer scores itself.

But, the orchestral composition in TRON is beyond what Zimmer wrotte for The Dark Knight. Pretty impressive , specially in the metals and woodwinds.

Basically, I'd agree, but first change woudl be Crimson Tide to me
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They're very relevant scores; whoever did the change, the rock or crimson tide, those steps above are indeed very evident in the sound of modern film music in general.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAFT PUNK - Tron

As i said in the relevant topic, this is definitely a high candidate for one of the scores of the year. Very vivid, fresh and impressive musical work. If it works in the film as well as it does on CD, this is a clear winner.

p.s. not too sure why the INCEPTION elements should be so evident in here, but at least it's done tastefully.
  4. And I would mention The Thin Red Line as a huge influence on the genre. Lots of temp-track love and great music to boot, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And I would mention The Thin Red Line as a huge influence on the genre. Lots of temp-track love and great music to boot, too.

Indeed, but the way i see it, The TTRL influences are incorporated in GLADIATOR, in the dramatic trademarked Zimmer chord procession but coupled with what would later turn into another wholly influential score by him, BlackHawk Down. So whilst TTRL came first, i'd say Gladiator is even more influential to the masses.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Basically, I'd agree, but first change woudl be Crimson Tide to me

Crimson Tide is much more of a milestone than either The Rock, Gladiator and Batman Begins for me. I could never tire of Crimson Tide, a pure action masterpiece. Batman Begins did nothing for me, the other two are worthy in their own right.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DT, we aren't talking about you or me or anyone. We are talking about which scores of his obviously influenced film music as a whole.
  6. What constitutes a milestone for me is a score that not only is great (which is why I prefer Crimson Tide to The Rock by miles), but also influences its genre a lot. Thin Red Line, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and Batman Begins (I would argue if Dark Knight isn't ultimately more influential than Batman Begins, that's a very good question to ask) are scores that did precisely that.

Nothing can be said about it yet, but yet another milestone may be Inception. I can imagine a shitload of films influenced by Inception in the very near future, the question is what about the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it's already started with inception (Tron is the first major inception-influenced score) but time will tell if it'll spread further. Musicologically though i'd say Inception is just an extension to the Dark Knight / Batman Begins sound. They're musically very relevant.
  7. I'd argue that Inception pushes the scope a bit further, leading to a very interesting mix between ambient and minimalism, which is an interesting path to follow by Zimmer in the future. Granted, those influences appeared slightly before with the ostinati that are in Batman already, though I'd argue that the first appearances of it happened already in King Arthur, where some of the string motifs already appeared and eventually led to the masterpiece called Chevaliers de Sangreal (which had later tired rehashing in both second Pirates of the Caribbean movie and The Dark Knight).

On a smaller scale, the minimalist influences, without the ambient characteristics appeared in Frost/Nixon an eventually forgotten score, which is a pity, because in my opinion, it's Zimmer's best work (especially in film) before Inception.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    DT, we aren't talking about you or me or anyone. We are talking about which scores of his obviously influenced film music as a whole.

Ah sorry. I shouldn't be so self-centered. wink