• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    As promised months ago, the microwaving of the old GNP "Star Trek II" score CD. I held the wrong button down on the camera I borrrowed, so I it wasn't recorded, though the melted crap could be filmed.

I forgot the older dyes they used -- smells not too plesant around here.

Dude you have way too much free time. face-palm-mt

Two minutes?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010 edited
    You know what, I'm going to start with that too. If all it takes is 2 minutes of my time, I'm going to start melting all of my score CD's too. I'm looking forward to having a hell of a time. punk

Plus a nice smell in the whole house. Damn, why didn't I try this before? shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: Destroying The Locket - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

Very creepy, it kind of reminds me of Williams's War of the Worlds. Especially with the french horns and the muted staccato brass in the last seconds of the cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    As promised months ago, the microwaving of the old GNP "Star Trek II" score CD. I held the wrong button down on the camera I borrrowed, so I it wasn't recorded, though the melted crap could be filmed.

I forgot the older dyes they used -- smells not too plesant around here.

As a famous actor probably not unfamiliar to you always says ... "Get a life !" biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Crossfade: Pilot Episode with Roger Feigelson

That's right... Roger Feigelson produced a radio show and you can listen to it hear! Great show!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    You know what, I'm going to start with that too. If all it takes is 2 minutes of my time, I'm going to start melting all of my score CD's too. I'm looking forward to having a hell of a time. punk

Hey, if they're all Zimmer CDs, by all means! And film it, too!

Like you don't do anything regularly that takes two minutes... tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Crossfade: Pilot Episode with Roger Feigelson

That's right... Roger Feigelson produced a radio show and you can listen to it hear! Great show!

-Erik-

Listening now beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Hey, if they're all Zimmer CDs, by all means! And film it, too!

Like you don't do anything regularly that takes two minutes... tongue

God damn, you've got me there. And it's 2 minutes and 37 seconds last time I clocked it. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. NP: The Deathly Hallows - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

Very moody. I love the use of the theorbo, playing the Deathly Hallows's six notes motif. And when the motif is playing with the strings at 0:56, it reminds me of Desplat's The Ghost Writer
  6. Hostage - Alexandre Desplat

I can't get "Child's Spirit" out my head. One of the most poignant cues I've ever heard.
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Hostage - Alexandre Desplat

I can't get "Child's Spirit" out my head. One of the most poignant cues I've ever heard.

Yeah. It's lovely. Did you know that the child soloist, it's Desplat's daughter, Antonia?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010 edited
    JP: BLACK SWAN - Clint Mansell
    Mansell combines Tchaikovsky's classic ballet with his own writing and electronic distortions into a modern horror version of the piece. On paper, it shouldn't work - yet it does. Somehow he manages to create a captivating work where his own additions are easily identified, yet flow remarkably well into the glorious pieces for full orchestra. Especially during the final act, where the main Swan Lake theme gets an exhilarating workout from the orchestra, is a highlight. I'll need to listen to this a few more times in order to really appreciate it, however, Black Swan proves to be one of the more interesting (and, ironically, original) works of the year for sure.
  8. yonythemoony wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Yeah. It's lovely. Did you know that the child soloist, it's Desplat's daughter, Antonia?

Nice use of nepotism. biggrin
  9. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Nice use of nepotism. biggrin

biggrin I listened that one a few months, so I remember that.
  10. There was a short trend of using one's family in scores for a while. Desplat's daughter did the vocals on Hostage, Powell's son on United 93 and Zimmer's wife on The Holiday.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    There was a short trend of using one's family in scores for a while. Desplat's daughter did the vocals on Hostage, Powell's son on United 93 and Zimmer's wife on The Holiday.

I didn't know about Zimmer's wife singing in The Holiday. That's nice. Also, Williams's son, Joseph, sang in Return Of The Jedi
  12. I just watched The Holiday last week. Nice, breezy film with a nice, breezy score.
  13. BobdH wrote
    JP: BLACK SWAN - Clint Mansell
    Mansell combines Tchaikovsky's classic ballet with his own writing and electronic distortions into a modern horror version of the piece. On paper, it shouldn't work - yet it does. Somehow he manages to create a captivating work where his own additions are easily identified, yet flow remarkably well into the glorious pieces for full orchestra. Especially during the final act, where the main Swan Lake theme gets an exhilarating workout from the orchestra, is a highlight. I'll need to listen to this a few more times in order to really appreciate it, however, Black Swan proves to be one of the more interesting (and, ironically, original) works of the year for sure.

I liked Broxton's review, which said that Mansell invoked "the Ghost of Tchaikovsky" throughout the score, even with his own input. Great work overall, the last two tracks are amazing, especially "A Swan Song", with its nauseating electronics.
  14. A Night in Fantasia 2009

Link

The anime side of the album this time. I'm less familiar with this style of film scores to be honest, but nevertheless I like what I'm hearing here. So there are suites from Laputa Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro by Joe Hisaishi, which all are charming and nice in their own way. The guy knows how to write some good themes. Then come two totally unknown cues from Astro Boy and Sincere Feeling. They flow by without raising too much of an eyebrow, but they're allright. But the final two cues definitely did raise an eyebrow, because their choral power is simply brilliant: Tsubasa Chronicles and Deathnote. Both tracks are the perfect send-off for this album. For Tsubasa Chronicles this awesome song was adapted for the concert, and I must say I like both the techno'ish and symphonic versions.

So I must say, I'm glad I discovered this (thanks FELIZ for making me aware of it). Overall the videogame music made a bigger impression on me, because I knew most of the music in its non-orchestrated way and to hear them adapted for orchestra and choir is always something to get my juices flowing.
  15. ^^ Hisaishi is brilliant. You should listen to his work for Spirited Away and Departures, the latter of which is literally the only score that made me cry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010
    NP : SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

Great score with a theme to die for, love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There was a short trend of using one's family in scores for a while. Desplat's daughter did the vocals on Hostage, Powell's son on United 93 and Zimmer's wife on The Holiday.

The use of powell's son voice in united 93 is for me the most chilling moment in film music up to now. When i observed its functions in context i became instantly aware of powell's deeper understanding of music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  16. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ^^ Hisaishi is brilliant. You should listen to his work for Spirited Away and Departures, the latter of which is literally the only score that made me cry.

I know both Laputa and Mononoke, I have both the albums. I'll get to the others when I get the chance. Departures, what a sad title, I feel something in the corner of my eye already. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ^^ Hisaishi is brilliant. You should listen to his work for Spirited Away and Departures, the latter of which is literally the only score that made me cry.

Wholly agree with this man here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  17. Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The use of powell's son voice in united 93 is for me the most chilling moment in film music up to now. When i observed its functions in context i became instantly aware of powell's deeper understanding of music.

I remember that Powell said in a interview that he wrote a piece and he tried that his son to sing it, but it didn't work. So he made a round up, his son sings and the orchestra follows it. And he asked Greengrass's opinion, because he didn't know if it was good or it has the worst thing that he have made. And Greengrass did liked it.
  18. DreamTheater wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I know both Laputa and Mononoke, I have both the albums. I'll get to the others when I get the chance. Departures, what a sad title, I feel something in the corner of my eye already. cry

The movie is one of my new all-time favorites. Great Japanese cinema.
  19. NP: The Parthenon - Percy Jackson (Christophe Beck)

One of my favorite cues of the score. I love the themes in the score (the main theme it's like a mix between Harald Kloser's 2012 main theme, and Powell's Phoenix Theme from X Men The Last Stand).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Once Upon a Time in the West - Ennio Morricone

Simply breathtaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010
    I'm growing fond of The Kings Speech. Planning on seeing the movie on Sunday.
    listen to more classical music!
  20. Two scores:

The Hours - Philip Glass

I forgot how lyrical and meditative this was. It's lovely overall and it works wonders in the movie (one of my all-time favorite films), but a little of it goes a long way.

House of Sand and Fog - James Horner

I think I love this more than A Beautiful Mind, which heretofore was my all-time favorite Horner score. Like the above score, it works amazingly in the film (another beloved film of mine). The entire work, but most especially the last three tracks, is full of the florid, sometimes tragic, romanticism that I love in music, which only John Williams can do better. It's amazing how much I've fallen madly in love with this score lately, considering I've had the soundtrack for about 7 years.