• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "G.I. Janes"
    By: Trevor Jones

I wouldn't say this is "bad" per se, but it's not good, and it's certainly not my cup-of-tea.

I like the rock-flavoured cues a lot. I'd say it's a better than average Jones score and should it ever be released expanded I'd get it for sure.

For me this score is seriously below average Trevor Jones, hated it!

It's a bad copy of a bad Zimmer era.

Exactly!

Have a good Christmas D? beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

A masterpiece!

For anyone not familiar with this score ( shame on you if there are any? ) here's a lovely suite on youtube.

THE LION IN WINTER SUITE

Anyone know who the conductor is? I think it may be Rumon Gamba??

??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. No idea who conducted it and I even can't see the video right now (for transfer reasons), but I do completely agree with you about the score. I haven't seen the film (which I intend to do), but the score is a plain masterpiece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    uhm

Double that. "Asian rumbling?" ?!

Make that Asian minimalist rambling
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Radio Flyer - Hans Zimmer

One of his best scores before 1995. Clearly gives you the feeling of being a child and the imagination that goes along with it. Lots of kiddie solo instruments (honky tonk piano, harmonica, guitar, pan flute) with lush orchestrations spread over a full orchestra (with a few synths here and there). A multitude of melody in many different ways appear in the score. Although the album is only 30 minutes long, you get a lot in those short 30 minute.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. Poltergeist was waiting for me when we got back from Scotland today. Looking forward to hearing it tomorrow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "G.I. Janes"

I wouldn't say this is "bad" per se, but it's not good, and it's certainly not my cup-of-tea.

I like the rock-flavoured cues a lot. I'd say it's a better than average Jones score and should it ever be released expanded I'd get it for sure.

What do you consider the bad Zimmer era? Thelma & Louise, Days of Thunder, that era?

Because I like that era, matter of fact...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Poltergeist was waiting for me when we got back from Scotland today. Looking forward to hearing it tomorrow.

Please tell me what you think of it Alan, I'm really holding out on buying this new release but if you say it's a better listen than the Rhino release, like what Atham said, I may have to reconsider. Poltergeist is in my Jerry top 3 after all.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "G.I. Janes"

What do you consider the bad Zimmer era? Thelma & Louise, Days of Thunder, that era?

I like any Zimmer era, minus the extremely early year...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "G.I. Janes"

For me it was bad then and it's bad or even worse listening to that early stuff now. But as I've said elsewhere, if you like it then that's all that counts wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Days of Thunder and Thelma and Louise? Exactly, vomit-inducing material for me. It's unlistenable in all aspects. Again, for me. But if you like it, then that's what matters.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. NP: At The Burrow - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

Very peaceful. I love how Desplat uses the themes for the Order of the Phoenix (that french horn rendition at the end of the cue is wonderful) and for the trio (especially at 1:04, gorgeous).
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Days of Thunder and Thelma and Louise? Exactly, vomit-inducing material for me. It's unlistenable in all aspects. Again, for me. But if you like it, then that's what matters.

Days of Thunder, I tend to agree. I think I know why Hans hates that score himself. Thelma is one of his best scores as heard in film, still. The bootleg is not that bad.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Days of Thunder, I tend to agree. I think I know why Hans hates that score himself. Thelma is one of his best scores as heard in film, still. The bootleg is not that bad.

Agreed on Thelma & Louise. I'd love to see this one released sooner rather than later.

And DOT is one of my guilty pleasures, I dare even call it fun.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Poltergeist was waiting for me when we got back from Scotland today. Looking forward to hearing it tomorrow.

Please tell me what you think of it Alan, I'm really holding out on buying this new release but if you say it's a better listen than the Rhino release, like what Atham said, I may have to reconsider. Poltergeist is in my Jerry top 3 after all.

I've had a quick listen to the new Poltergeist CD from FSM, including listening to snippets of "Twisted Abduction" side-by-side in Audacity and I have to say that I'd certainly recommend this over the Rhino release. I find it difficult to truly tell much of a difference when the score is full on in your face, but when it's more intimate there's certainly an improvement. There's certainly less hiss with the FSM disc for those creepier moments and a big difference I found when "analysing" the aforementioned track was that the wind instruments sounded "fuller" with the newer CD.

Fuller sound is what I'd say this new CD gives the listener (as well as the reduced hiss).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Thanks a lot Alan, damn and I was pretty sure my much-loved Rhino release would be sufficient for many years still, but once again I'll take the better sound aspect as a good enough reason to get the new one. BTW Twisted Abduction is one of my alltime favourite cues by the man. So stunningly written that one and shivers guaranteed every time!

So I will order it when I make my next purchase. beer
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Thanks a lot Alan, damn and I was pretty sure my much-loved Rhino release would be sufficient for many years still, but once again I'll take the better sound aspect as a good enough reason to get the new one. BTW Twisted Abduction is one of my alltime favourite cues by the man. So stunningly written that one and shivers guaranteed every time!

I told you that you would buy it eventually mere weeks ago, and yet you didn't believe me.
    Now a total stranger wink tells you otherwise and you go out and purchase it

why don't you believe me anymore big brother? cry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Michel Legrand

Great, great score, great theme song, The Windmills of Your Mind, superb score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I also recommend Iron Will, I call it Williams music not written by Williams smile

I call it Desert Chase.

oh, one frakking rip off and you start calling names tongue

There's more than one rip off in Iron Will.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hot damn 'Cadillac Freefall'. Not only does the track name sound cool, the music is too...

You should see the sequence the music accompanies. One of the all time best action scenes!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fabulously photographed too.
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I also recommend Iron Will, I call it Williams music not written by Williams smile

I call it Desert Chase.

oh, one frakking rip off and you start calling names tongue

There's more than one rip off in Iron Will.

-Erik-

I'm sure there is, but it was the only one I noticed
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thanks a lot Alan, damn and I was pretty sure my much-loved Rhino release would be sufficient for many years still, but once again I'll take the better sound aspect as a good enough reason to get the new one. BTW Twisted Abduction is one of my alltime favourite cues by the man. So stunningly written that one and shivers guaranteed every time!

I told you that you would buy it eventually mere weeks ago, and yet you didn't believe me.
    Now a total stranger wink tells you otherwise and you go out and purchase it

why don't you believe me anymore big brother? cry

I'm glad you made the right decision.
    Put away the Rhino. This is the way to go.
    Yes, it's the dynamic mix of the FSM version that brings out all the subtle organic instruments and various other complex orchestrations that got lost in Rhino's hiss and muddy mix.

I've loved Poltergeist since I first bought the LP in 1982. And man did I thrash Twisted Abduction!
    Most other 15 year olds were playing Duran Duran or Kiss back then.
    But for me 1982 was all about Poltergeist, Star Trek 2 and E.T.
    What a year it was! cool
  12. I was 7-8 when I was into Duran Duran. I only discovered the finer film scores of 1982 when I was a bit older, in fact about your age in 1982. wink
  13. NP: Chase Across DC - Salt (James Newton Howard)

punk

Awesome action cue! You can notice the Bourne influence, but still, it's much more orchestral than Powell's scores.
  14. As promised months ago, the microwaving of the old GNP "Star Trek II" score CD. I held the wrong button down on the camera I borrrowed, so I it wasn't recorded, though the melted crap could be filmed.

I forgot the older dyes they used -- smells not too plesant around here.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    Awesome?! uhm

-Erik-
  15. justin boggan wrote
    As promised months ago, the microwaving of the old GNP "Star Trek II" score CD. I held the wrong button down on the camera I borrrowed, so I it wasn't recorded, though the melted crap could be filmed.

I forgot the older dyes they used -- smells not too plesant around here.

Dude you have way too much free time. face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I also recommend Iron Will ...

yeah
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010 edited
    I was listening to something 'feliz' had pointed out in another topic.

A Night in Fantasia 2009

Link

A recording of a live concert with music from videogames and anime films. I just finished listening to the videogame side and I was thoroughly entertained. With symphonic suites from Afrika, Gears of War 2, Soul Calibur, Prince of Persia (the Inon Zur soundtrack), Ace Combat 5 and Shadow of the Colossus, the great tunes just kept on coming. Very pleasantly surprised by the orchestral suite from Gears of War 2, which is excellent, as well the splendidly choral 'The Unsung War' from Ace Combat 5, and ending with the beautiful Shadow of the Colossus really not a bad moment in sight.

Sadly two tracks are left off the iTunes release which I just bought, but I found them on the net, and should've been included: Soul Calibur and Ace Combat 5. But someone must've thought it would make the album too long.

Next I'll be listening to the anime side of the album, and things should be interesting as well, as Joe Hisaishi's more wellknown works get some deserved attention. More to come later.