• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES - HORNER

This isn't an easy listen by all means, but it's growing on me. It has the trademark 80s Horner sound that I love so much, yet it isn't as accessible or fun as his other work from that time. I for one like how the Intrada album is sequenced, because I use to hate this score with a passion on bootleg, not for the dreadful sound (well maybe a little), but how it was put together. Anyway the theme is pure Horner magic, so that always gets big bonus points.

Both the Intrada and bootleg (the regular short bootleg, not the LaserDisc isolated score) are fiddled with horribly; tracks moved around, tracks edited into other tracks, tracks with small sections edited out, etc.

Would you say the Intrada album sounds not up to par? Not for me it does. I don't know what the correct order of tracks is, but the presentation is okay for my layman's ears.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Note to Tinseltown producers and execs: Bring back big dumb Hollywood summer blockbusters, so composers can write totally awesome scores for them...

Transformers, Iron Man (and their sequels), Clash of the Titans, 2012... the movies are certainly there which could easily sustain magnificent scores, however bad the films are. Sadly, they just don't get them.

Sadly, that's the correct word right there...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote

POWAQQATSI & KOYAANISQATSI (PHILIP GLASS)

First ever listens. First ever Glass score listens too. I must say: there is some really unique music here, the repetitive nature works very hypnotically and I think the music in the film must work like something similar as in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where the music just sucks you in and keeps your eyes glued on the screen, though admittedly 2001 has some gorgeous visuals, don't know about these two films. I know the central theme from Powaqqatsi from The Truman Show but to hear it in full (split up in three tracks) is great. Overall I like Koyaanisqatsi a bit more, because of a more memorable set of melodies. I knew about the use of this music in Watchmen and a game trailer for GTA 4, so I'm glad I finally got to discover this totally unique soundscape, even if 'The Grid' went on for ages. Definitely something to appreciate here.

I'm not sure, but where does that Phantom Menace choral moment appear (the final celebration choral moment)? I know that it appears in one of the 3 Qatsi's of Glass, not sure which one however.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

This isn't an easy listen by all means, but it's growing on me. It has the trademark 80s Horner sound that I love so much, yet it isn't as accessible or fun as his other work from that time. I for one like how the Intrada album is sequenced, because I use to hate this score with a passion on bootleg, not for the dreadful sound (well maybe a little), but how it was put together. Anyway the theme is pure Horner magic, so that always gets big bonus points.

Both the Intrada and bootleg (the regular short bootleg, not the LaserDisc isolated score) are fiddled with horribly; tracks moved around, tracks edited into other tracks, tracks with small sections edited out, etc.

Would you say the Intrada album sounds not up to par? Not for me it does. I don't know what the correct order of tracks is, but the presentation is okay for my layman's ears.

Up to par how -- presentation wise? Sound quality wise?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

First ever listens. First ever Glass score listens too. I must say: there is some really unique music here, the repetitive nature works very hypnotically and I think the music in the film must work like something similar as in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where the music just sucks you in and keeps your eyes glued on the screen, though admittedly 2001 has some gorgeous visuals, don't know about these two films. I know the central theme from Powaqqatsi from The Truman Show but to hear it in full (split up in three tracks) is great. Overall I like Koyaanisqatsi a bit more, because of a more memorable set of melodies. I knew about the use of this music in Watchmen and a game trailer for GTA 4, so I'm glad I finally got to discover this totally unique soundscape, even if 'The Grid' went on for ages. Definitely something to appreciate here.

I'm not sure, but where does that Phantom Menace choral moment appear (the final celebration choral moment)? I know that it appears in one of the 3 Qatsi's of Glass, not sure which one however.

Opening track of Powaqqatsi, and yes that TPM moment instantly invaded my mind too. smile
  6. justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Don't know, for me it sounds fine. It's you that said it's fiddled with horribly. I like the Intrada, but I hate the bootleg presentation.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Opening track of Powaqqatsi, and yes that TPM moment instantly invaded my mind too. smile

Now you must get ITAIPU, another mind blower.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Don't know, for me it sounds fine. It's you that said it's fiddled with horribly. I like the Intrada, but I hate the bootleg presentation.

I meant in regards to order; it's a mess if you want to order it. It drove me nuts trying to rip the unreleased cues from the boots -- I finally gave up and put it to the side to concnetrate on other projects.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote

Blowing my mind is a good thing, so check out I definitely will. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Blowing my mind is a good thing, so check out I definitely will. Thanks.

Two versions.

Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony orchestra and chorus

This is the best version but the recording is lousy ( shame on SONY )

Grant Gershon and the Los Angeles Chorale

Damn fine version and excellent recording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, not many movies like Judge Dredd around it seems; that and the fact that most young directors these days, would probably reject such score for being "too old-fashioned". Sad but true.

Note to Tinseltown producers and execs: Bring back big dumb Hollywood summer blockbusters, so composers can write totally awesome scores for them...

And for the record: I love big dumb Hollywood blockbusters. punk

Yeah but anything with no damn loud electric guitars all over the place is labeled "old-fashioned" for this films.

One subtle correction. The producers reject "old-fashioned" scores today, even if directors actually ask for them. In today times, basically the composer doesn't go beyond what the director asks for, but even that may not prevent from rejection (cf. Pirates of the Caribbean).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Producers are dicks, unless they're also directors and / or writers.
  10. CONGO - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Wonderful themes and a huge amount of fun in a just a little over 30 minutes. Sometimes these short albums are way better listens than today's over-long releases. Love the tribal rhythms and the Lebo M cues are pure genius! Jerry, you knew how to entertain your music loving audience!!!! punk

It's by listening to such a score I long for the good old days. Luckily I can relive them whenever I want. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2010
    JFP* : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

Played Prometheus release for my friend who's just left, he loved it, it helped that he was reasonably familiar with the Varese CD. cool

*Just Finished Playing
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams

More greatness! punk
  11. NP: The Tudors Season 2 (Trevor Morris)
  12. Timmer wrote

More greatness! punk

Indeed, what would you say is your favourite Indy? For me it's Last Crusade. While I totally adore the first two, the best themes appear in the third as well as the most rousing version of the march IMO (final cue).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

More greatness! punk

Indeed, what would you say is your favourite Indy? For me it's Last Crusade. While I totally adore the first two, the best themes appear in the third as well as the most rousing version of the march IMO (final cue).

Raiders first followed by Last Crusade, Doom is underrated and the other one? meh!
  13. That Crystal Skull thingie doesn't count, both film and score. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I would rank the Indy scores in the same order as that in which they appeared. The first two are both masterpieces and I greatly enjoy the second two as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    UNSTOPPABLE | harry gregson-williams

I cannot stop listening to it.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    HGW is certainly a man on fire.
    Kazoo
  14. Bregt wrote
    HGW is certainly a man on fire.

biggrin
  15. Southall wrote
    What do you think of Deja Vu?

It's okay, but nothing we haven't seen before.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    What do you think of Deja Vu?

Nice, sweet, touching at places. It's the last melodic score he's written for Tony Scott.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    True Grit - Carter B

Can't stop playing this! What a wonderful album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bram Stoker's Dracula - Wojciech Kilar

I watched The Wolfman (remake) the other day and by far the best thing about it was that it inspired me to listen to this magnificent score for the first time in many years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

Stunning, just stunning. One of my top ten of all time.
  16. Southall wrote
    The Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

Stunning, just stunning. One of my top ten of all time.

This man spoke it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am