• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Speak for thy self mortal. wink

biggrin

BOOMeth.

NP: Caravaggio - Luis Bacalov

I only know Bacalov from his work on spaghetti westerns. This though, while still brandishing some of his darker, dramatic composition style, is a very lush and baroque score: very classy, very enjoyable indeed.
    While completely chromatic and melodic, it is a composition that demands your attention, so it's not something for in the background I find. But it's a very lovely and worthwhile listen!
    I really like those scores that work hard at exceeding their boundaries as supporting media and try and deliver something worthwhile of their own accord.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010 edited
    SMALL SOLDIERS (EXPANDED) - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Small soldiers, BIG FUN. I don't play this one nearly as often as I once did, but it sure is an always pleasing listen no matter how well I know it. I hope this will get a complete release at some point, the extra cues are just as much as fun the ones found on the 30 minute album. I practically love everything Jerry did for Joe Dante, and their combined creativity and knack for making films and music for fun, and not for $$$, something which is getting all too rare these days.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Is it just a question of semantics, then? "I think it's overrated" is, to me, just a shorthand way of saying "I don't like this as much as everyone else does." I had never considered that anyone would take it to mean "I think my opinion is right and everyone else's is wrong." Is that seriously what people mean when they say they think something is overrated? Isn't it obvious that it's only opinions people are speaking about?

Most people think Mission to Mars is a pile of crap and I think it's the best score of the previous decade. When I say I think therefore that it's underrated, I don't mean everyone else is wrong for thinking it's crap, I only mean that I think it's better than they do. I'm amazed by what you read into the word!

It's no doubt weird to hear people who have a different understanding of a word when you've used it a certain way your entire life. The construction of the word seems fairly straightforward to me, so I find your usage weird too. That said, I've ranted enough about this. It has been discussed on this forum before and it's not a big enough issue to continue ranting.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    The King's Speech - Sandy Desplat

I'll be careful what I say here - I was just going to say "Excellent!" but I don't want to offend anyone who doesn't think that! wink

http://lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cristian wrote
    Who cares if a score it's a masterpiece?

I do.

Cristian wrote
    Does it move you

Speaking Planet of the apes, no.

Cristian wrote
    can you connect emotionally with the music

No.

Cristian wrote
    do you enjoy it

No.

Cristian wrote
    how does it make you feel?

Bored.

Cristian wrote
    This is all that matter.

Not to me.

Cristian wrote
    It's art and that is art supposed to do.

Then it's not art, because it doesn't do that for me. wink

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Peter hath spoken! cool wink

Personally, I love Planet of The Apes, an incredibly inventive score that fits the movie like a glove, but I do have to be in the right mood to listen to it and that isn't very often. As an original score though, John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER was the correct choice for the Oscar that year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wow! Just spent the last few hours food shopping on the high street with a serious weighted rucksack full of necessaries and heavy stuff like potatoes and vegetables and things in jars, all exasperated by having to trudge through snow and ice so I need some chillin'.........

NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Gorgeous, just gorgeous! cool

...and a beer drink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    wink

Timmer wrote
    As an original score though, John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER was the correct choice for the Oscar that year.

Oh yes! I worship that score!

punk We're jungle creatures punk

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    plindboe wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Who cares if a score it's a masterpiece?

I do.

Why do you care if you don't like it? Can you explain to me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    If I don't like something and others do, it informs me that it might be a good idea to devote more time on it. Sometimes music takes time and effort to appreciate, and if I only judge by my present feelings, it's easy to dismiss something prematurely.

There are other reasons to care about what others think. For instance an artist might deserve alot of respect and recognition, even if I personally don't connect with all of their music. I can have a increased understanding and appreciation of Goldsmith and what he was trying to do without being personally affected by this score, and I think that understanding and appreciation is always a good thing.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    wink

Timmer wrote
    As an original score though, John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER was the correct choice for the Oscar that year.

Oh yes! I worship that score!

punk We're jungle creatures punk

Peter smile

I'll be playing it on Christmas day, I always do. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    plindboe wrote
    If I don't like something and others do, it informs me that it might be a good idea to devote more time on it. Sometimes music takes time and effort to appreciate, and if I only judge by my present feelings, it's easy to dismiss something prematurely.

I agree that taste can change and I also agree that music takes time and effort to appreciate but sometimes it's just not there, you never gonna like it even if 1 billion people like it. I don't judge a score by how many people like it.

plindboe wrote
    There are other reasons to care about what others think. For instance an artist might deserve alot of respect and recognition, even if I personally don't connect with all of their music. I can have a increased understanding and appreciation of Goldsmith and what he was trying to do without being personally affected by this score, and I think that understanding and appreciation is always a good thing.

Peter smile

What do you think it was in Goldsmith' mind when he wrote the score? To move people's hearts with his music or to get respect and recognition?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cristian wrote
    I agree that taste can change and I also agree that music takes time and effort to appreciate but sometimes it's just not there, you never gonna like it even if 1 billion people like it. I don't judge a score by how many people like it.

That is true. But to begin with, it can still be helpful to know other people's opinions. Taste is individual, but there is alot of overlap, and other people can help clue us in on what we might like. This is why stuff like reviews n such exist.

plindboe wrote
    What do you think it was in Goldsmith' mind when he wrote the score? To move people's hearts with his music or to get respect and recognition?

Probably neither. I think he aimed for a score that would complement the movie and be in line with the visions of the director.

Peter smile
  1. Don't look for insane ambitions here, the score had to fit, Peter's right smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

Cool. I might try that too. Along with its stunning sister: The last valley.

Peter christmas_biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Don't look for insane ambitions here, the score had to fit, Peter's right smile

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    plindboe wrote

That is true. But to begin with, it can still be helpful to know other people's opinions. Taste is individual, but there is alot of overlap, and other people can help clue us in on what we might like. This is why stuff like reviews n such exist.

I agree that it's helpful to know other people's opinions. Because in that way we should have a good ideea if we are going to like a score. But first we should find those people who has the same taste like us. Same with reviewers we should find one that has similar taste.

plindboe wrote

Probably neither. I think he aimed for a score that would complement the movie and be in line with the visions of the director.

Peter smile

Maybe. I wish Goldsmith were still alive and ask him that. Maybe I am an idealist but I think an artist should first aim to move people, to connect emotionally with them, and if he succeed that then the respect and recognition will also come.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cristian wrote
    I agree that it's helpful to know other people's opinions. Because in that way we should have a good ideea if we are going to like a score. But first we should find those people who has the same taste like us. Same with reviewers we should find one that has similar taste.

Indeed. That's why James is my fave. He's nearly always right. wink

Cristian wrote
    Maybe. I wish Goldsmith were still alive and ask him that. Maybe I am an idealist but I think an artist should first aim to move people, to connect emotionally with them, and if he succeed that then the respect and recognition will also come.

We prefer to think that as fans, but in reality I think that's rare. It's a tough and highly stressful business and the ones who make it to the top has the director's wants and the movie as their top priority.

I even seem to recall that Goldsmith found it a bit strange that people were buying and listening to his music (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    I even seem to recall that Goldsmith found it a bit strange that people were buying and listening to his music (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Peter smile

That's right. There's the infamous "bottlecaps" comment he made after he was asked whether something (I can't remember what - maybe The Vanishing?) was ever going to be released - he said no it wasn't, he didn't understand why anyone would want to listen to it, and that people were collecting soundtracks like bottlecaps rather than because of their musical merit. And this was before the limited edition craze of the last decade had been dreamt up - I dread to think what he'd think now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

My favourite Christmas score. Outstanding.
  2. NP: Luna de Avellaneda - Angel Illarramendi

A very small score, with a small string orchestra, piano, guitars, mandolin and clarinet. It's very theme-driven, in every single cue of the score, there's the two main themes. A romantic and emotional theme, in Cuando El Amor Vuelve, Una Llama de Esperanza, Que Nos Paso?, "Quiero Un Perfume" and "¿Cómo Se Hace Un Club Nuevo?". And a tragic, melancholic theme (which it sounds like a modified version of the first theme) in M..... De Don Aquiles and "Tirame Un Palo Que No Este Enjabonado".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Cool. I might try that too. Along with its stunning sister: The last valley.

Peter christmas_biggrin

Difficult for me to separate those two, brilliant scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Next Three Days - Danny Elfman

After a rather dull opening 30-40 minutes, the score springs into life for its final 20-30. Another badly-produced album, sadly, which could have been much, much stronger with less music on it.

Well, not for this movie. I've seen the original POUR ELLE which was scored by KLAUS BADELt (in a much, much better way i'd say) but the minute i heard they're making it an american re-make, i was sure the score was going to be drone.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

My favourite Christmas score. Outstanding.

The same epithet i would use for the majority of this man's gorgeous music; the fact that he doesn't write nearly as often as he SHOULD do, blows my mind. He's one of the most gifted composers out there, and i'd place him alongside Horner, Newman etc.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Amalia - Nuno Malo

This is just unbelievably good. The best release from MovieScore Media so far. The melodies are so strong - there really is a feeling of latter-day Morricone here, blended with some gorgeous guitar music. This is in my top three of 2010.
  3. MERCENARIES: PLAYGROUND OF DESTRUCTION - MICHAEL GIACCHINO & CHRIS TILTON

Badass !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Amalia - Nuno Malo

This is just unbelievably good. The best release from MovieScore Media so far. The melodies are so strong - there really is a feeling of latter-day Morricone here, blended with some gorgeous guitar music. This is in my top three of 2010.

Wow, sounds like my kinda thing. I haven't even heard of this score before.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's a 2008 score that is only now seeing the light of day. Personally, it didn't do much for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010 edited
    Paris brûle-t-il? | maurice jarre

I always loved the waltz, and found the cd yesterday in a film store. It's the Sony release from 2 years ago. is that the right one? It has the 4 tracks that the other releases also have. It's a lovely album, short but powerful and full of fanfares and variations on the walz.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think there is a "right" one?
    It's my favourite Jarre, this score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn