• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    Southall wrote
    I don't think he ever really wanted to write scores like Meet Joe Black, though he's never said it (it's only a perception). He probably now has enough money that he doesn't need to. I do agree that it's a great pity - he's arguably the finest American orchestral film composer behind Williams, but he never does that any more.

But james , he wrote so many of those gorgeously orchestrated and composed lush american scores and he did it with such class and quality it is really hard for me to believe that while he boldly left his mark in film music and in a very influential way , he did all that just for the money. Whatever the case though , i honestly believe his is the biggest loss for film music for the last decade.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Meet Joe Black is to Newman what Birth is to Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    I don't think he ever really wanted to write scores like Meet Joe Black, though he's never said it (it's only a perception). He probably now has enough money that he doesn't need to. I do agree that it's a great pity - he's arguably the finest American orchestral film composer behind Williams, but he never does that any more.

But james , he wrote so many of those gorgeously orchestrated and composed lush american scores and he did it with such class and quality it is really hard for me to believe that while he boldly left his mark in film music and in a very influential way , he did all that just for the money. Whatever the case though , i honestly believe his is the biggest loss for film music for the last decade.

He's still come up with some gems in that time, though, like Wall-E. I do hope he manages to find another Angels in America some day - that one allowed him to combine the orchestral majesty with his more personal, quirky style and is pretty sensational.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, WALL-E was his last one so far.
  2. sdtom wrote
    The new Sunset Blvd. release from SAE which is OST.
    Thomas

I much prefer this new release of the original soundtrack over the re-recordings. There's something quite vibrant to the original that makes for a much more interesting listen.

As for the additional CD containing the 2-3 minutes? I don't think I've ever listen to this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Daft Punk - Tron: Legacy

Brilliant score. While similarities to Inception are there, the minimalism reminds me rather of Glass rather than Zimmer and one track is quite similar to Poledouris' Cherry 2000. Very well written minimalistic work, great electronics, what's not to like? Even if sometimes pretty Zimmerish in chord progressions, I wouldn't say that it overly references Hans (the similarities to Inception can be partly because they mixed it in his studio and the score was written around the same time). By no means anything rip-off or something. A very classy work, makes me want to see the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY - Wojciech Kilar

Stunning, beautiful score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Daft Punk - Tron: Legacy

Brilliant score. While similarities to Inception are there, the minimalism reminds me rather of Glass rather than Zimmer and one track is quite similar to Poledouris' Cherry 2000. Very well written minimalistic work, great electronics, what's not to like? Even if sometimes pretty Zimmerish in chord progressions, I wouldn't say that it overly references Hans (the similarities to Inception can be partly because they mixed it in his studio and the score was written around the same time). By no means anything rip-off or something. A very classy work, makes me want to see the film.

I watched the movie yesterday. The score was PERFECT in the movie. By the way, Daft Punk has a little cameo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How's the movie like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Couldn't stress that enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Selections from composer Christopher Gordon

I don't have a lot of time to spend listening to music today but I was inspired by a fellow film music fan's Facebook post yesterday to play some music from one of my favorite current film composers. I just finished with the fantastic Ward 13 and have moved on to the finale from one of the best scores from last year, Mao's Last Dancer. I've also got cued up tracks from Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games, Rugby World Cup (featuring one of the finest themes I've ever heard), the under appreciated On The Beach, my nine minute custom suite from Moby Dick and "Spreading The Cure" from Daybreakers.

Bliss!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK - Michael Giacchino

Just the shorter release, bliss!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    How's the movie like?

It's good. Very entertaining
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Couldn't stress that enough.

Can I stress it even more? Like WAY more???
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DARK CITY (EXPANDED SCORE) - TREVOR JONES

Dark, brooding, full of unsettling underscore, the usual but great action music and one of the biggest emotional climaxes I've ever heard. Dark City really is my kind of score. Jones did good on this one. And the film is a modern SF-classic in my book.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. ^^^ Check out the Edited Suites thread, and click on suite 3 of "Hideaway"; I don't have headphones on me, but as I recall, that one had some similar action material later in it (I made five suites, so it may not be that one after all).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. I just checked it out, and Hideaway just isn't in the same league, but I see your point in both having similar action music, though Dark City's is much more vibrant and powerful. I'll stick to that, thank you very much. smile
  10. Oh, I wasn't saying they were. Just another one of Jones' lifts, but he usually does a good job applying it elswhere. It's his "four-note danger motif".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. Haha! Very true! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

Ravishing melodies, soaring arrangements, this is nothing short of outstanding. One of my very favourite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010
    Oddly I was actually randomly singing to myself the theme song from that film (10,000 Miles) as I was leaving work a bit ago. beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    DARK CITY (EXPANDED SCORE) - TREVOR JONES

Dark, brooding, full of unsettling underscore, the usual but great action music and one of the biggest emotional climaxes I've ever heard. Dark City really is my kind of score. Jones did good on this one. And the film is a modern SF-classic in my book.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    How's the movie like?

It's good. Very entertaining

Entertaining, that's the word. The use of 3D is really good (at last!), and the score is PERFECT in the movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice, off to watch it in 3d, probably tonight.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I purposely deprived myself of playing this for a week or so but now I can restrain myself no longer........

NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You're only human after all Mr. Timmer! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010 edited
    Speak for thy self mortal. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Next Three Days - Danny Elfman

After a rather dull opening 30-40 minutes, the score springs into life for its final 20-30. Another badly-produced album, sadly, which could have been much, much stronger with less music on it.