• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Carrie as I'm reviewing

I have the old LP, a good score but I've never been a great fan of Donaggio.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Get Carter - Roy Budd

Absolutely fantastic theme...ruined by overlaying sound effects of what sounds like trains crashing.

Add to that a number of relatively insepid seventies Les Humpries SIngers-ish songs, a massive amount of dialogue tracks, and all I'm left with for my $19.99 is about 9 minutes of decent tracks (including -thank heavens- a sfx free shorter version of the main theme). Very disappointing. Save your money on this one. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Get Carter - Roy Budd

Absolutely fantastic theme...ruined by overlaying sound effects of what sounds like trains crashing.

Add to that a number of relatively insepid seventies Les Humpries SIngers-ish songs, a massive amount of dialogue tracks, and all I'm left with for my $19.99 is about 9 minutes of decent tracks (including -thank heavens- a sfx free shorter version of the main theme). Very disappointing. Save your money on this one. slant

I've never owned the soundtrack but have the theme on a CD compilation, that theme THAT THEME is bloody brilliant, right up there with all time bests.

Have you seen the film Martijn? There's hardly any score to it hence the padding of an album release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have seen te film, but it's been decades (quite literally)...so it's no more than images, really.
    It's the one that ends on the beach, right, with the coal mine conveyor contraption?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeap, that's the one. Brilliant film though very bleak, IMO it's the best British gangster film ever made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. Definitely some images there that stick with you for ever.
    Damn. I need to see this again.
    Too bad it's never repeated (well, not on the BBC anyway. And don't even get me started on Dutch TV stations. If it's older than 2001 they won't show it. No mass appeal, you see. slant )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010 edited
    last time I noticed it being on TV I think it was on Channel 4?

Talking of old films, I can't remember the last time any station showed classic James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Universal Horror, Hammer etc etc etc slant ( Dutch stations don't sound good to me )

'Yesterday' ( formerly the History channel ) did recently show the entire 1970's BBC series Colditz recently which was brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010 edited
    After Martijn's play I just had to spin the theme to GET CARTER cool

And in keeping with that style I'm now playing this classic...

NP : THE IPCRESS FILE - John Barry

This album is padded out with a theme and variations though there is some great underscore, Death of Carswell with an ominous guitar riff, the album does suffer with some dialogue but I can at least be thankful that it doesn't talk over any of the music. The theme is a true classic and I really enjoy some of the jazzy variations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still Carrie and since this is a revisit it is material I'm familiar with and I do like it. A early Pino Donaggio score.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. THE FORCE UNLEASHED II - MARK GRISKEY

I've listened to it a few times now, but nothing sticks. If this were a Williams SW score, it would've had a kajillion themes, and leitmotifs going on all over the place, and I would've at least memorized a couple of them. To be honest, the only tracks that raise somewhat of a smile are the two last ones (of nine). I like the fact it's a proper symphonic score with brief thematic statements from Williams' classics, but I can't say I like the music itself.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Tourist - James Newton Howard

A lot of reviews of the film have slated the score and I've seen no comment about it on here or any of the other boards, but as an album I think it's rather enjoyable, JNH's most enjoyable non-Shyamalan score in a very long time in fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The King's Speech - Alexandre Desplat

So beautiful, so light and deft, so Desplat.
  2. NP: True Grit (Carter Burwell)

I must say, I quite enjoy this one. Several strong moments in a typical Burwell score, I'm seeing this one getting a nomination during the Oscar period.

Not bad though typical Burwell score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The King's Speech - Alexandre Desplat

So beautiful, so light and deft, so Desplat.

Agree, it's a gem!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: True Grit (Carter Burwell)

I must say, I quite enjoy this one. Several strong moments in a typical Burwell score, I'm seeing this one getting a nomination during the Oscar period.

It won't. There is a sort of adaptation in the score, which rendered it ineligible. Desplat's King Speech was also ruled or on the verge of being ruled ineligible due to the Beethoven material.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Such an idiotic rule...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Is the Desplat score eligible or not?

I understand the point of the rule, but they apply it so inconsistently it's hard to understand sometimes (and it's a complete absurdity that scores with themes based on original songs by the same composer, expressly written for that film, are ineligible, like The Princess and the Frog and Tangled).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's stupid in this case 'cause whilst 1. for instance it is admittedly applicable to 'black swan' (unless you know the source material pretty well, it's hard to tell where one ends and the original score starts) but in this case, "king's speech" the score Desplat wrote for the movie couldn't be any more departed from the source material.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Is it really true? Just for a few minutes of Beethoven in the film?
  5. I don't remember the exact stance on King's Speech (I think it was being "considered", not fully ineligible).

Interestingly, Inception is *not* a discussed score here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Oscars have always been odd, in 1979, Georges Delerue won one for writing Vivaldi's A Little Romance
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wonder what fate will befall 127 Hours. Could it be another Babel (given how much non-Rahman music there is there)?

Anyway, onto happier things.

Was playing The Tempest - Elliot Goldenthal

First listen to it, in fact. First reaction: it's extraordinary. Second reaction: I don't want to listen to it again.

Now: True Blood - Carter Burwell

Another first listen, but no mixed reaction here. It's just fantastic. I've never fallen in love with a Burwell score like this before.
  6. Umm, James, True WHAT?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Aha! You noticed my deliberate error. You win the prize.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I put THE IPCRESS STYLE earlier, nobody noticed so no prizes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: True Grit (Carter Burwell)

off to see the movie this week for sure
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    Southall wrote
    Is the Desplat score eligible or not?

I read a recent article in Variety saying that it's been considered eligible. Black Swan, True Grit and two others have been deemed ineligible, however.
  7. Does TRUE GRIT use a folk song or something?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Meet Joe Black - Newman (again)

What is it with Newman and sad love themes? This and Good German...
  9. "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" 2CD
    By: duh

Excellent, just excellent. The unreleased cues ... wonderful.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.