• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Does TRUE GRIT use a folk song or something?

I think so (maybe more than one). It's a fantastic album.
  1. DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote
    Is the Desplat score eligible or not?

I read a recent article in Variety saying that it's been considered eligible. Black Swan, True Grit and two others have been deemed ineligible, however.

I never understood this dweebs of the Oscar board, and every year they give me a reason to doubt them even more.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I know, especially the second part is wonderful
    I might review it
  3. SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES - HORNER

This isn't an easy listen by all means, but it's growing on me. It has the trademark 80s Horner sound that I love so much, yet it isn't as accessible or fun as his other work from that time. I for one like how the Intrada album is sequenced, because I use to hate this score with a passion on bootleg, not for the dreadful sound (well maybe a little), but how it was put together. Anyway the theme is pure Horner magic, so that always gets big bonus points.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010 edited
    The A-Team - Alan Silvestri

Yihaaa , I'm flying a tank under the guidance of Mr. Silvestri ! punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's kick-ass. Silvestri mode punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Christodoulides wrote

and generic as hell
  5. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Burwell used protestant hymns as the melodic core of the score. It's likely that if you can spot a theme, it's actually an arrangement of some old hymn. I really like the ones he chose and how he arranged them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    True Grit has not been released in the US yet
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

and generic as hell

I'll take kick-ass Silvestri even if generic, over the rc crap anyday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Finishing up on Carrie
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

and generic as hell

me too, but I still prefer Silvestri when he's less generic wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

and generic as hell

There's something comforting in generic mode....depending on composer, I can't stand 99% of RC.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

and generic as hell

I dare you... no, I double dare you to play G.I. Joe today!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not simply generic. That's crap.

By generic i mean A-TEAM, Beowulf (as people have been describing them) but still kick ass. Even g.i.joe is more suffer-able, in contrast to the similar crap the djawadis and the zanellis put out most of the time.
  7. I think A-Team isn't just in the same league as Beowulf, honestly. Beowulf has kickass moments. A-Team has none.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Surely beowulf is far superior, but there are some great moments in a-team too, like the first 2 cues for instance, flying a takn, the docks part 1 and 2, and so forth. Not up there with Beowulf which is one of his best scores imo, indeed, but very enjoyable at least to me smile
  8. A-Team is just too much nothingness... if the album was half the time maybe it would be more interesting.

Where has the time of Judge Dredd gone? Damn what I wouldn't give to have Silvestri write something similar again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, not many movies like Judge Dredd around it seems; that and the fact that most young directors these days, would probably reject such score for being "too old-fashioned". Sad but true.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All this talk of Alan Silvestri has got me in the mood to play........ummm....

NP : TOTAL RECALL - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    yeah

cool

and

punk

POWAQQATSI & KOYAANISQATSI (PHILIP GLASS)

First ever listens. First ever Glass score listens too. I must say: there is some really unique music here, the repetitive nature works very hypnotically and I think the music in the film must work like something similar as in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where the music just sucks you in and keeps your eyes glued on the screen, though admittedly 2001 has some gorgeous visuals, don't know about these two films. I know the central theme from Powaqqatsi from The Truman Show but to hear it in full (split up in three tracks) is great. Overall I like Koyaanisqatsi a bit more, because of a more memorable set of melodies. I knew about the use of this music in Watchmen and a game trailer for GTA 4, so I'm glad I finally got to discover this totally unique soundscape, even if 'The Grid' went on for ages. Definitely something to appreciate here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Tempest - Elliot Goldenthal

I was going to try to review this tonight. Don't know where to start.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, not many movies like Judge Dredd around it seems; that and the fact that most young directors these days, would probably reject such score for being "too old-fashioned". Sad but true.

Note to Tinseltown producers and execs: Bring back big dumb Hollywood summer blockbusters, so composers can write totally awesome scores for them...

And for the record: I love big dumb Hollywood blockbusters. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

"Begin at the beginning," the King said gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop."
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Note to Tinseltown producers and execs: Bring back big dumb Hollywood summer blockbusters, so composers can write totally awesome scores for them...

Transformers, Iron Man (and their sequels), Clash of the Titans, 2012... the movies are certainly there which could easily sustain magnificent scores, however bad the films are. Sadly, they just don't get them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

"Begin at the beginning," the King said gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

Sage advice, for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I can't wait. ( I mean it, I'm biting to read your review )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    yeah

cool

and

punk

POWAQQATSI & KOYAANISQATSI (PHILIP GLASS)

First ever listens. First ever Glass score listens too. I must say: there is some really unique music here, the repetitive nature works very hypnotically and I think the music in the film must work like something similar as in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where the music just sucks you in and keeps your eyes glued on the screen, though admittedly 2001 has some gorgeous visuals, don't know about these two films. I know the central theme from Powaqqatsi from The Truman Show but to hear it in full (split up in three tracks) is great. Overall I like Koyaanisqatsi a bit more, because of a more memorable set of melodies. I knew about the use of this music in Watchmen and a game trailer for GTA 4, so I'm glad I finally got to discover this totally unique soundscape, even if 'The Grid' went on for ages. Definitely something to appreciate here.

I love both of them, Koyaaniqatsi more so though that opening track from Powaqqatsi really kicks butt.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES - HORNER

This isn't an easy listen by all means, but it's growing on me. It has the trademark 80s Horner sound that I love so much, yet it isn't as accessible or fun as his other work from that time. I for one like how the Intrada album is sequenced, because I use to hate this score with a passion on bootleg, not for the dreadful sound (well maybe a little), but how it was put together. Anyway the theme is pure Horner magic, so that always gets big bonus points.

Both the Intrada and bootleg (the regular short bootleg, not the LaserDisc isolated score) are fiddled with horribly; tracks moved around, tracks edited into other tracks, tracks with small sections edited out, etc.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And for the record: I love big dumb Hollywood blockbusters. punk

Yeah but anything with no damn loud electric guitars all over the place is labeled "old-fashioned" for this films.