• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010 edited
    I remember you loved that one. I was guessing that there might have been more releases, since it's an older, quite famous score, with rerecordings and C&C releases, but there's not. It's awesome.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Amalia - Nuno Malo

This is just unbelievably good. The best release from MovieScore Media so far. The melodies are so strong - there really is a feeling of latter-day Morricone here, blended with some gorgeous guitar music. This is in my top three of 2010.

Couldn't agree more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote
    Amalia - Nuno Malo

This is just unbelievably good. The best release from MovieScore Media so far. The melodies are so strong - there really is a feeling of latter-day Morricone here, blended with some gorgeous guitar music. This is in my top three of 2010.

Wow, sounds like my kinda thing. I haven't even heard of this score before.

Peter smile

You'll love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - John Barry

One of the best Bond scores ever!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. One of my favourites as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Carrie the new Kritzerland release
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I just saw the movie and I thought this is a good time to listen the score while the movie is still fresh in my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cristian wrote
    NP: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I just saw the movie and I thought this is a good time to listen the score while the movie is still fresh in my mind.

Urgh, not my kinda movie. I did notice a couple of scenes though where the music really stood out. Some scenes just after his father dies for instance I remember being special.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    I loved it.

The movie? Why? I thought Benjamin Button was the most boring character ever. He behaved like a 90 year old throughout the movie.

Peter sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved it, majestic, nostalgic, with a beautiful atmosphere, excellently shot and with a top score; it was a bit slow indeed, but mature. And i like Brad Pitt's acting a lot so it's a plus, the whole cast was wonderful imo.
  2. ^^ I totally agree with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    ^^^ Me, too. Also the ideea to born old and die young is not something you see every day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I agree that it was beautifully shot, with a good cast. But it was just so sloooooooooooooooooooooow! I also found it too weird and fantasy to get into it, like Tim Burton on a bad day. Luckily it picked up during the last hour when the love affair finally got going. Too little, too late though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agree with Peter.
    Boring, overly hyped snoozefest without anything that was worth taking away from it.
    A "gimmick" movie, where the particular gimmick got really old...err, young really fast...err...slow.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah go watch Clash of the titans 3d .
  3. It's amazing how one movie can spur such diametrically opposed feelings...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, at least films like that annoy me enough to actually get a rise and an argument out of me.
    Which to my mind elevates it a step or two above the films I just shrug and forget about.
    Which I did about Benjamin Buttocks. Or whatever his name is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. I like Benjamin Button the movie too, however the score is not something I think I will ever put on again... But I admit the music helps to create an atmosphere that made the film very intriguing.

And the whole premise of the film is what made me want to watch it. And enjoy it too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Lust Caution - Desplat

"The Angel"...:sigh:
  6. I Want To Be a Shellfish - Joe Hisaishi

I don't know why Hisaishi gets so little attention on these boards, but this score is another example of his immense talents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Lust Caution - Desplat

smile
  7. Martijn wrote
    Agree with Peter.
    Boring, overly hyped snoozefest without anything that was worth taking away from it.
    A "gimmick" movie, where the particular gimmick got really old...err, young really fast...err...slow.

It's the sort of movie David Fincher shouldn't make: one that requires GENUINE WARMTH, instead of stylised technically-fashioned warmth.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Lust Caution - Desplat

smile

My favorite rendition of "Wong Chia Chi's Theme", which in itself is one of Desplat's best compositions.
  9. Revolutionary Road - Thomas Newman

This got more or less overshadowed when it was released, just like the movie, but I honestly consider this to be my second favorite Newman score, behind Road to Perdition. It's amazing how much emotion he can convey with just 3 notes.
  10. A few scores, hoping I could make suites out of any of them.

"Until the End of the World"
    By: Graeme Revell

One of the most prolonged and mind numbing experiences is film score listening ever.
    The theme was vague, constantly repeating, never had room to breath, and was almost always exactly the same and on cello (as I recall), when used.

The rest of the score was an odd-ball combination (not like Morricone odd-ball combos) of very weak ethnic percussion pieces with traditional orchestra, and some occassional African child chanting (sampled from other recordings, it sounded like), and then of course extremely poorman's "Hearts of Space" synthscapes which were some of the most tedious tracks of any score I've ever had to listen to.

Many tracks sounded lke they were nothing more than second take improvisations, and aweful ones at that.

Do yourselves a big, BIG favor and NEVER listen to this score. There's a cat on YouTube rubbing itself all over a keyboard covered in catnip ..... far, far more enjoyable a listen.
    NOT Revell's shining moment.

"Young Guns 2"
    By: Alan Silvestri

One of his weaker scores, with a standard theme and many bland tracks which at many times, seem to be doing nothing more than going from emotion-to-emotion for on screen happenings.
    I would say it falls just below second-rate Silvestri scores.

Some tracks have this pseudo YG1 type scoring. If they wanted that, why didn't they just hire Brian Banks & Anthony Marienelli again?

There were some nice moments here and there, but not many. Maybe enough for a suite or two. I made notes, will be ripping parts and see what I can do.

"Bandits"
    By: Chgristopher Young

DID NOT LIKE. Skipped after a few tracks.

"Picture Bride"
    By: Cliff Eidelman

Offered nothing and was kind of boring. Skipped after a few tracks.

"Ernest Saves Christmas"
    By: Mark Snow

No comments at this time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    Not that familiar with most of those, but I remember thinking Bandits was OK (I have the promo somewhere but haven't listened to it for years) and I really like Picture Bride (at least, I think I do - again, it's been a few years).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, at least films like that annoy me enough to actually get a rise and an argument out of me.
    Which to my mind elevates it a step or two above the films I just shrug and forget about.
    Which I did about Benjamin Buttocks. Or whatever his name is.

Benjamin Buttocks biggrin

I seem to remember enjoying the film, I barely remember any of it though so that's not a good sign, probably Tim Burton on a good day. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. NP: Selections from Armand Amar

From 'Le Premier Cri', 'Home', 'La Jeune filles ...' and 'Sagan'.
    Gorgeous music. Currently using it in a temp track for an experimental documentary.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Carrie as I'm reviewing
    listen to more classical music!