• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tim will love this!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b79_1231107001

As for me, i never liked it; although the cabin of supersonic air travel is quite charming itself, still in realization in the form of the CONCORDE, the cabin was very small and uncomfortable, few selected passengers in contrast to the mass and financially logical nature air transportation should always bear imo, noisy, extraordinarily expensive and disproportional to its actual benefits and most importantly, its security and strength proved to be severely fragile. As a museum piece it's perfect, but other than that, it doesn't surprise me that its usage remained exclusive and severely limited before it was altogether withdrawn.

Finally!? rolleyes wink

Thanks D, I'll speak more on this tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tim will love this!

As for me, i never liked it; although the cabin of supersonic air travel is quite charming itself, still in realization in the form of the CONCORDE, the cabin was very small and uncomfortable, few selected passengers in contrast to the mass and financially logical nature air transportation should always bear imo, noisy, extraordinarily expensive and disproportional to its actual benefits and most importantly, its security and strength proved to be severely fragile. As a museum piece it's perfect, but other than that, it doesn't surprise me that its usage remained exclusive and severely limited before it was altogether withdrawn.

Finally!? rolleyes wink

"charming" shocked At an altitude of 60,000 ft and twice the speed of sound "charming"!? I call that super-fooking-cool! Sorry mate but I'll take that over a big-ass "office" any day and everytime.

As for the rest of what you say, well, it's hard to argue with that, Concorde was long seen as nothing more than a commercial executive jet for the super rich but I have to say that it's been 40 years since man landed on the moon and yet we're still travelling in airliners that do barely 550MPH taking a whole day to fly London - Sydney ( for example ).

Concorde was a step in the right direction and yet we've gone backwards.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tim will love this!

Finally!? rolleyes wink

"charming" shocked At an altitude of 60,000 ft and twice the speed of sound "charming"!? I call that super-fooking-cool! Sorry mate but I'll take that over a big-ass "office" any day and everytime.

As for the rest of what you say, well, it's hard to argue with that, Concorde was long seen as nothing more than a commercial executive jet for the super rich but I have to say that it's been 40 years since man landed on the moon and yet we're still travelling in airliners that do barely 550MPH taking a whole day to fly London - Sydney ( for example ).

Concorde was a step in the right direction and yet we've gone backwards.

I wouldn't necessarily say we've gone backwards, more like we're taking a bit of hiatus in R&D. Unfortunately for the past decade, the economic market for airlines has not been particularly viable for the research and evolution for supersonic jets. If the airlines aren't able to meet their bottom line, there's no way they would be pushing guys like Boeing, Lockheed, Airbus, etc. to push money into producing these types of jets.

I think in 15-20 years, when airlines gain their footing again, we'll see much more research put into airplanes that can fly at supersonic speeds, but not until then. Once they can make a jet that can fly at those speeds, be safe, be "more" environmentally friendly, and (most importantly) be cheap enough for most air travelers to use, then we will see these types of jets come into the main stream, but that could take an awful long time given the circumstances.

Just my .02.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is the era of big-ass, cheap travel for the masses. Look at A380, it's not a doubt it's so successful. Long-range cheap travel is also the goal, and this is what the composite new planes of the 4th generation (like the upcoming B787 and A350) air aiming to do via complete automation and lightweight, strong new composite materials. The public is not interested in the speed so much these days, but wants to go somewhere in comfort and cheap. A concept like Concorde is more dead than ever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009
    ......wow! Talking about luck!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=081_1231224205 shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    Found this really great podcast a few weeks ago. It's all about airlines, airliners, and aviation in general. It's called the Airplane Geeks Podcast. It's a bit more centered on American aviation, but that often leads to larger global discussions as well.

http://www.airplanegeeks.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    Take a look at JAL's new cabin arrangements for their 772 and 773. Damn amazing. I understand why they are such an expensive airline.

http://www.jal.co.jp/newjal/boeing777_en_high.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    Amazing! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009
    a380 brake test

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=171_1231714871

burn baby burn! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7832191.stm shocked
  1. How could that happen?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bird injection and total failure of both engines due to that, first info shows but nevertheless, first information is always confused and / or lacking depth. Time will tell. Thank God for the great ending, everyone saved, heroic crew and pilot flying.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Have you seen Eddie Izzard's sketch on Bird Strike? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Has never happened again, something like that. Btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Has never happened again, something like that. Btw.

What? You mean, like, since two hours ago?
    No, I would have thought that would have been rather unlikely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009 edited
    rolleyes tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    New York police arrest the orchestrator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, at least no one died, so I guess it's OK to joke about it. Seems like they were incredibly lucky, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009
    One witness said the pilot brought the plane in very gradually and made "a very slow contact with the water." He then checked the cabin twice to make sure all had escaped. That's a great pilot right there.

More stories, videos, and photos:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/15/new.yo … index.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Well, at least no one died, so I guess it's OK to joke about it. Seems like they were incredibly lucky, though.

Passengers can dine out on this story for years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The crew (flight and cabin) did a heroic job, led by the amazing skills of the pilot. In the U.S. Airways since 1980, previously on U.S. AIR FORCE flying F-4's, the man's certainly the type of humans our society needs more of! Ditching in water was - until now, one of the least survivable events in aviation history and this man showed everyone how to be calm, professional and extremely able to save your and other 155 peoples' asses all at once!

Photo of hero of the year
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    The crew (flight and cabin) did a heroic job, led by the amazing skills of the pilot. In the U.S. Airways since 1980, previously on U.S. AIR FORCE flying F-4's, the man's certainly the type of humans our society needs more of! Ditching in water was - until now, one of the least survivable events in aviation history and this man showed everyone how to be calm, professional and extremely able to save your and other 155 peoples' asses all at once!

Photo of hero of the year

Certainly takes a cool head that's for sure, that's why many of the astronauts were recruited from the US Navy or Air Force and none came cooler than Neil Armstrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    That is a really interesting story. So glad there were no casualties - thanks mostly to the, clearly, excellent pilot.

The weird thing about flying that I experience is how I always think about the likelihood of accidents before I fly but feel so safe when actually aboard. I'm not one of these people who holds their breath during take-off, I'm always like: "Woohoo!!!"

cool biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Count me in too! An absolutely amazing feeling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    That is a really interesting story. So glad there were no casualties - thanks mostly to the, clearly, excellent pilot.

The weird thing about flying that I experience is how I always think about the likelihood of accidents before I fly but feel so safe when actually aboard. I'm not one of these people who holds their breath during take-off, I'm always like: "Woohoo!!!"

cool biggrin

Take off ( and sometimes landing ) is THE most exciting part of flying, I absolutely love it! It's the bit in-between that bores the shit outta me except for those odd moments where there's something worth looking out the window for...a mountain range or other interesting geographic features, excellent cloud formations or thunderstorms etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
    ...or.....or......a hot stewardess babe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...or.....or......a hot stewardess babe.

Ah, if only RyanAir wasn't so... shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, Ryanair is gathering a lot of criticism. Have you travelled with them and can share such a negative experience? I haven't but i'd love to hear why people have such a negative opinion on them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I honestly haven't but this may give you an idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair#Criticism