• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    Horrible? Really?
    I don't think it does any harm. If anything, it's kind of poetic.

If someone's happier calling the discovery and implementation of penicillin "a work of God" rather than "a work of nature", it does not -to my mind- stop further scientific discovery or development.
    It's just an epiteth. A label put on the end result.

And I completely echo your sentiment about people who do not want to know everything.
    Curiosity I think is one of the most defining traits of humanity. That we always want to know what comes next is what propels progress in every way, psychological, technical, spiritual and emotional. To simply do away with that by mumbling "it's the will of God" is completely anathema to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Ok... horrible was too strong... I mean it's not my point of view.

Curiosity is good but ethics is neccessary to go with the knowledge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause Hear hear! applause

I just set up a series of lectures for the The Hague University on exactly that subject.
    Would you believe it wasn't even in the curriculum? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The Hague has a university? The curriculum of what studies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's called the The Hague University, as there is actually no proper English translation for 'Hogeschool' (the textbook 'Vocational Insititute' is eomthing else entirely), so the good PR folk of the Haagse Hogeschool came up with the The Hague University.
    Apparently it's corroborated by European standards, but it leads to a lot of confusion (and annoyance wink ) from "proper" universities. dizzy

Apparently ethics isn't something they've been very much concerned with in any of the technical or managerial studies, so I made a set-up for my own department of Information Technology.
    It's being actiavely used in -at least- the curriculum of Corporate & Business IT ("Bedrijfskundige Informatica").
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Steven wrote
    Like calling the Higgs particle the "God particle", or the WMAP data as "looking at the face of God". That pisses me off no end.

plindboe wrote:
    Hehe. Funny thing is that most of these scientists are actually atheists, just trying to be diplomatic and folksy.

Even atheist scientists reach a point where they can't explain things any further. I think it's more like a metaphore for the mystery of life or the unexplainable spark of life or whatever.

But I agree, using those words make people take it literally. Besides, there are many theist scientists too, who take it quite literally themself I guess.

Anyway, I'm not a theist either for your information, although Steven sometimes thinks otherwise?

wave

No, not at all. I've never read anything that would suggest you are, so I've always assumed you're not. I certainly don't think of you as an "atheist" though.... and to be honest, I'm not really comfortable with that lable myself. It's not as though there's a name for everything else I don't believe (like the Earth is flat, or bread is made from pixie dust). It's just a necessary evil as a way to distinguish myself from 1st century beliefs! (And Pagan beliefs, and Muslim beliefs, and Medieval.... well, you get the idea.)

As an "atheist", I'm free to embrace doubt - but also free to have transcendent experiences, such as love and elation, and yet not make unjustifiable claims about the cosmos as a result of those experiences. I guess doubt is what drives a scientist to find an answer with the best possible resources and ways available to him or her! (Or something like that.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anyway what's wrong with religious people? You all beat it too much.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I don't think we're talking about religious people (and judging them) but about religion itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and judging it! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aye! Judge lest you be judged biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregje wrote
    I think it's more like a metaphore for the mystery of life or the unexplainable spark of life or whatever.

Yes, perhaps you're right. Most atheist scientists probably don't care that much about religious issues, so they simply apply religious labels and metaphores because they are part of our culture.

Bregje wrote
    Besides, there are many theist scientists too, who take it quite literally themself I guess.

I actually think they are a rarity. Most religious scientists adhere to the non-overlapping magisteria (or NOMA) concept. Scientists are trained to be skeptics, to evaluate and criticize evidence, so most end up acknowledging the lack of evidence for religious claims, and NOMA makes sure that cherished religious beliefs are out of reach and not something that can be critically questioned.

I sympatize with this view, and don't feel a need to challenge it, despite not really agreeing with it.

Bregje wrote
    Anyway, I'm not a theist either for your information

Hehe, well, that doesn't make any difference to me. My problem isn't so much with religion or religious people, but rather dogma, bigotry and distorted views of reality. Religion can lead to those things, but in modern societies it often doesn't. When it does I have a serious problem. When it doesn't, i.e. concerning liberal believers, I've no serious concerns, though I might giggle a little and have some philosophical discussions for the entertainment value alone.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    I don't think we're talking about religious people (and judging them) but about religion itself.

Yep, and the original comment was about sensationalism in the media. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    THE OASIS OF THE SEAS

Largest cruise ship ever built, ready for official launch.

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/
    http://images.google.gr/images?rlz=1C1C … CCMQsAQwAw

Stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    They say it's so big that they had to make the chimneys retractable, otherwise it wouldn't be able to get under Storebæltsbroen (which was the world's largest suspension bridge after it had been constructed).

There's just something über-cool about big.

Peter cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    It would easily go under the Norman Foster bridge in Millau, France......it wouldn't fit in the river that flows under it though wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. http://www.symphonyofscience.com
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    My first gel ever: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6271/gelp.jpg (Awwww, look at that cute gel)

My first sequenced gene (a gene from an algae that had never been sequenced before): http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8846/billede1.jpg

My first phylogram (undoubtedly ridiculously wrong): http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/480/phylo.jpg

Sorry for this post, it's just a historic moment for me, so I couldn't help myself. It's a bit like a nurse taking her first blood sample, a taxi driver getting his first customers or a doctor killing his first patient, historic stuff.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited
    Hey Peter, that looks very impressive! (although i actually manage to understand very few of it wink ) congrats!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Congratulations!
    It's a magnificent gel. SO robust and of such wonderful consistency! And the gene is beter sequenced than many a sequenced gene I have enccountered. Truly! It is a gene whose sequence is only surpassed by the magnificence of the gel.
    And the phylogram assuredly is not wrong.
    No.
    It is very, very right.
    In a gel-like, gene-sequenced kind of way.
    Marvelous! Truly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, thanks guys!

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's obvious that you have experience with gels of all sorts, Martijn. I'm impressed that you know technical terms like robustness and consistency (you forgot firmness and squishiness though).

Peter punk
  2. Good job on your gel and stuff!

You're obviously going to go far.

BTW, just in case you were planning your next project, someone's beaten you to it! smile
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    Well, Peter, I have no idea what I'm looking at, but congrats whatever it is! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    spin

Congrats Peter!

What is the long term effect of your acquisition on the music of Morricone?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009
    Thanks guys!

I remember the days doing those experiments and I was shaking alot. It's so easy to make mistakes, which would mean days of works would have to be repeated, and I were dealing with some pretty toxic chemicals as well. All 4 samples turned out great, which I was told was pretty rare for the first attempt. cool

Alan, damn. Must think of something else then. I plan on winning my first Nobel Prize before the age of 40, so I have some serious thinking to do. wink

Bregt, I've no idea what you mean with your question. dizzy

Peter smile
  3. plindboe wrote
    Alan, damn. Must think of something else then. I plan on winning my first Nobel Prize before the age of 40, so I have some serious thinking to do. wink

I have an alternate project for you though.

I'm interested to know if there is a genetic predisposition for venous ulceration. Some people have hinted at the possibility that there is a genetic component that marks people to be more likely to have an ulcer in later life: maybe some component of venous valves in the lower leg (with the breakdown of function leading to varicose veins) being abnormal leading to an increased "at risk" status.

If you're interested contact me in a few years and we can write a grant proposal for funding! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009
    Indeed, that would be very interesting. Been considering going into health stuff, trying to make the world a better place.

And yes, I could always use some funds. wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009
    plindboe wrote
    My first gel ever: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6271/gelp.jpg (Awwww, look at that cute gel)

My first sequenced gene (a gene from an algae that had never been sequenced before): http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8846/billede1.jpg

My first phylogram (undoubtedly ridiculously wrong): http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/480/phylo.jpg

Sorry for this post, it's just a historic moment for me, so I couldn't help myself. It's a bit like a nurse taking her first blood sample, a taxi driver getting his first customers or a doctor killing his first patient, historic stuff.

Peter punk

Lovely gel Peter!

I did that kind of stuff a few times when I was an undergrad. My gels were messy! cheesy I wasn't good at it.
    Now my study is completely on macro-sclae (I'm doing behavioral ecology at master's course) so I don't do genetic analysis any more. But I see lots of my colleagues still fighting with gels... wink

Are you going to study phylogeny? Good luck and have fun with your future work! beer
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. What's a gel?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website