• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Roosevelt (2016) - Roosevelt

Song based electronica by newcomer from Cologne, Germany. Deeply rooted in 80s New Wave styles. Visage and Depeche Mode, among others come to mind. Thor might be interested.

On Spotify.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016
    Thanks for the tip! I like your description.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: The Beatles 1967-1970 (Blue Album), Disc 2

Pure magic. The benchmark album for pop compilations.

cool Volker
  3. Does anyone know if the FERRY AID version of "Let it Be" has ever been released on CD? The occasion, the Zeebrugge ferry disaster of 1987 was awful. Even so I have fond memories. I owned the vinyl single - in fact i still have it - and played it to death back then. Incredible that of all newspapers the f**** SUN would organize the recording.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    I owned the vinyl single - in fact i still have it - and played it to death back then. Incredible that of all newspapers the f**** SUN would organize the recording.

No surprise there, however, if the ferry was full of immigrants....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP: Blade Runner Disc 3 (2007) - Vangelis

Disc 3 of the anniversary CD set. It contains newly composed music inspired by the film. I find this album has been overlooked. It is a fascinating new take on the material and a great album all around.
    The outstanding re-recording notwithstanding I am a big fan of this CD set. It contains the classic (if belated released) original album. It is one of the few OST albums where I don't mind the dialogue overdub. Disc 2 features a ton of additional music from the film. Sure, it is not the C&C release some fans are clamouring for, but I am well pleased with what we have.
    Since Vangelis has already returned to the project once I am fine with him not returning another time. I'm looking forward to what Jóhann Jóhannsson will contribute to the planned sequel film.

Volker
  5. NP: Welcome to the Pleasuredom (1984) - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

What a debut! One of the defining albums of the 80s!
  6. The Wall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Welcome to the Pleasuredom (1984) - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

What a debut! One of the defining albums of the 80s!

Agree! Excellent work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The Wall

I'm old enough to remember this being a kick in the face to the British establishment when Another Brick In The Wall became # 1 in the UK charts. As for the album I have to be in the right mood to play it which is rarely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's one of my alltime favourite rock albums (Top 5, for sure), and I played it to death on cassette and subsequently CD in my formative years. That's the reason I play it rarely these days; being so extremely familiar with every nook and cranny of the music, I want it to be a special occasion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016 edited
    NP: BEYOND THE INFINITE (Juno Reactor)

God, how I love these guys (or "this guy", if you only count Ben Watkins). Goa doesn't get much better than this, a classic album from '95.

punk
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: The Visitors (1981) - ABBA

As with all truly great bands it is worthwhile to look past the best-of standards and listen to the albums proper. This final ABBA album is probably also their most mature. Sure, there are those musical-like schmalzy ballads that tend to become tiresome but there are also true gems to be found here. A great farewell.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2016
    That's a superb album -- the only ABBA I have, actually. Clearly a precursor to the stuff B&B wrote for CHESS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2016
    something new new new! D'Indy Symphony #2 which is a refreshing change.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2016
    sdtom wrote
    something new new new! D'Indy Symphony #2 which is a refreshing change.

I love his "Symphony on a French Mountain Air", but that's about the only thing of his I'm familiar with.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. There was a major accident on the local autobahn. The freeway itself and all parallel roads were jammed. My regular 30+ minutes trip from school home took me over two hours while the sun kept heating up the car. Dire Straits, Marillion and my Star Wars playlist kept my spirits high anyway. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2016
    NP: 90125 - Yes

They started getting a bit 'poppy' by this album, no doubt aided by the arrival of Trevor Rabin and Trevor Horn's growth into more commercially sounding stuff. Nevertheless, it's immensely listenable.

cool
  9. ABBA songs. Myself. On the piano. Ha! What fun! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016
    NP : PET SOUNDS - The Beach Boys

Quite rightly considered one of the greatest albums ever.
  10. NP: Essential Recollection (2015) - Jean Michel Jarre

Well, this is a collection of popular titles, plain and simple. I found this on the bargain bin today and though, what the heck ... I don't think much thought was invested in forging this product.
    IMAGES of 1991 is a bit dated of course but it has more personality and remains my favourite JMJ compilation.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016
    NP : AND GOD CREATED GREAT WHALES - Alan Hovhaness

Great album, sublime music.
  11. Timmer wrote
    NP : AND GOD CREATED GREAT WHALES - Alan Hovhaness

Great album, sublime music.

This is one of my favorite contemporary classical pieces of all time. I don't know what I love more, the whale calls or the way the rest of the music is so perfectly woven around them... smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016
    NP : SYMPHONY # 50: MOUNT ST. HELENS - Alan Hovhaness

This comes very recommended too Morgan, if you're not familiar I'd give it a listen, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7: ANTARCTICA - Ralph Vaughan Williams

One of my all time favourite works. Sublime!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016
    NP : THE MUSICAL ZODIAC - Debbie Wiseman

This is a lovely work, very film music in nature, melodic and thematic. Individual pieces of approximately 5 minutes to each of the star signs of the zodiac.

I came across this browsing Spotify, well worth a listen and I'll definitely be returning to this.
  12. Never heard of it! Wiseman is always worth a look. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention, I'll check it out. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do! beer

A complete change of pace...

NP : TIMELESS - Goldie

Metal toothed man creates groundbreaking classic. I'm right in the mood for some trancy drum n' bass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/ … ilm-music/

highly recommended to Timmer.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/ … ilm-music/

highly recommended to Timmer.

I already have it Tom, in fact I bought it about 20 years ago when it was released on the MARCO POLO label.

Good to see this fine album get a re-issue on NAXOS though smile