• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016
    Which suite do you like the best?
    listen to more classical music!
  1. NP: Collage: The Last Work - James Horner

Like the warmest blanket and firelight in the coldest darkest night or a postcard from heaven or being hugged by liquid starlight... love
  2. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I understood that reference!
  4. I understood that reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2016
    Your references are out of control.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I understood that reference.

I wanted to point out the referenception myself but that would be cheating so thank you biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What? What? WHAT?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Of the four which one do you like the best?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2016/09/22/ … ral-works/

A fine new release from Chandos.
  6. That sure looks interesting, Tom.

Volker
  7. I agree. I've always wanted to explore more Holst outside of the big one and this looks like a good place to start.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Which suite do you like the best?

I'm not sure Tom because I haven't listened to it in a long time simply because amongst so many great works it isn't one I'll reach for. From memory I remember enjoying Coastal Command and England of Elizabeth, none of his film work engages me as much as his magnificent Scott of The Antarctic, a film score that endures beyond its film.

In short, I need to give these scores a "new" listen, particularly Rumon Gamba's Volumes 2 & 3 from Chandos 'Film Music of' label which are more substantial regarding his film work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

As with the RVW Tom linked, this is another rerelease and definitely worth your time, there was much more to Holst than his brilliant and incredibly influential The Planets.

Hickox died far too young.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great RVW documentary from BBC here Tom ( and anyone else interested ), hope it plays okay in US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUjWo-diK-Y

If Carlsberg wrote music...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016
    NP: COLLAGE - James Horner

First listen...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2016
    NP: THE RED SHOES - Kate Bush

Great album... but I only put it on to hear Moments Of Pleasure, a gorgeous song in which Bush pays tribute to all the deceased individuals who had worked for her over the the years. It's made even more poignant now due to the fact that Michael Kamen, who provides the absolutely heartbreakingly beautiful string arrangement, is also no longer with us.

sad
  8. NP: Rosetta - Vangelis

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect Vangelis in space to sound like, and pleasingly so. Could do with some more long-form melodies but what's there is 90% really nice to listen to.
  9. The CD is going through EAC right now. I will probably listen to it later.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016 edited
    LSH wrote
    NP: THE RED SHOES - Kate Bush

Great album... but I only put it on to hear Moments Of Pleasure, a gorgeous song in which Bush pays tribute to all the deceased individuals who had worked for her over the the years. It's made even more poignant now due to the fact that Michael Kamen, who provides the absolutely heartbreakingly beautiful string arrangement, is also no longer with us.

sad

An excellent and underrated album of hers.

NP : KALEIDOSCOPE WORLD - Swing Out Sister

Just great, well crafted pop. Check out the well known sample at 3,30 in this track

Coney Island Man is probably my favourite track, has a very Burt Bacharach vibe to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016
    NP : NOTHING CHANGES UNDER THE SUN - Blue States

Lush, dreamy and cinematic. Heard this one Lee?
  10. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: Rosetta - Vangelis

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect Vangelis in space to sound like, and pleasingly so. Could do with some more long-form melodies but what's there is 90% really nice to listen to.

Listening to it now. I think it is a tremendous album. As was to be expected the atmospheric mood prevails. Yet I also find a lot melodic material to enjoy. Sure, Vangelis never made the step into the digital world and held on to his analogue equipment. So his sound may seem a bit dated. On the other hand the retro wave should play into his hands.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016
    I don't know; I think OCEANIC is fantastic, but everything after that....well, it feels like something is missing. It's been reduced to lots of big chords that don't really go anywhere. I know that MYTHODEA is popular here, but I can't really make it through the damn thing. The EL GRECO stuff didn't appeal to me (neither film nor album), and only bits and pieces in ALEXANDER. TRASHED was quite bad, and that space short film thing he did prior to ROSETTA was also underwhelming.

But hey -- I'm gonna give ROSETTA a chance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

As with the RVW Tom linked, this is another rerelease and definitely worth your time, there was much more to Holst than his brilliant and incredibly influential The Planets.

Hickox died far too young.

I just got thru Amazon for $21.00 a six 6 CD set of Holst. Will review but I can tell you Boult and the London Philharmonic are superb. This was a 1978 recording. Tim is it Boult?
  11. Thor wrote
    I don't know; I think OCEANIC is fantastic, but everything after that....well, it feels like something is missing. It's been reduced to lots of big chords that don't really go anywhere. I know that MYTHODEA is popular here, but I can't really make it through the damn thing. The EL GRECO stuff didn't appeal to me (neither film nor album), and only bits and pieces in ALEXANDER. TRASHED was quite bad, and that space short film thing he did prior to ROSETTA was also underwhelming.

But hey -- I'm gonna give ROSETTA a chance.

Well, Alexander appeared when I wasn't a big fan of Vangelis. And I still don't like it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NOTHING CHANGES UNDER THE SUN - Blue States

Lush, dreamy and cinematic. Heard this one Lee?

Yes! I'm pretty sure it was you who recommended it to me in the first place! I'll have to give it another listen soon...

beer

EDIT: Just gave it a preview on Spotify and, yes, I remember it. A wonderful precursor to Zero 7, I found.
  12. Captain Future wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: Rosetta - Vangelis

Listening to it now. I think it is a tremendous album. As was to be expected the atmospheric mood prevails. Yet I also find a lot melodic material to enjoy. Sure, Vangelis never made the step into the digital world and held on to his analogue equipment. So his sound may seem a bit dated. On the other hand the retro wave should play into his hands.

Volker

Yes, there is definitely plenty of melodies too. I expect they will open themselves up a bit more for me upon repeated listens...on the first listen or two I was even disappointed at the lack of melodies in The Force Awakens! But a strong score (or album) often has its melodies a bit less immediately obvious than the typical Remote Control "every instrument playing the same note at the same time except for the ostinato base" thing that modern Hollywood tends to condition people to expect as being the definition of a melody...
  13. Bruckner: 10 Symphonies: Chicago Symphony Orchestra

First listen to the first symphony. First reaction to the opening movement: FUCK YES.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016
    Do you mean Symphony 00?
  14. On closer scrutiny, I do apparently. smile
    The streaming site I'm using didn't specify.