• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Melos (Vassilis Tsabropoulos & Anja Lechner)

Cello and piano based album... mixing jazz, minimalism and warm lyrical folk styles. Quietly beautiful and captivating.

Nice to come across my second fantastic non-film instrumental album in as many days.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Eidelon (Nervous Doll Dancing)

Quite a striking cello-led instrumental album. Quiet impressionist pieces. I want more film music to feel like this these days -- there just isn't enough of it. Would fit well into the ECM recording label ethos (and this may in fact be an ECM release) but it's a bit more emotionally warm than a lot of those.

Listening to another album today from the same artist, this one shares the artist's name, Nervous Doll Dancing. Quite nice. Someone should get her to do an interesting film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    NP : SYMPHONY # 9 - Philip Glass

One of my better buys this year, very powerful stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. How does it compare to his other work? (Or even his other symphonies? I quite liked 8.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
    if you like 8 then you'll like 9 wink

Seriously, I enjoyed it much more than his 8th, it's purely orchestral but no surprises, I don't really have the musical vocabulary to make it anymore detailed than that ( possibly because I'm drunk right now dizzy )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012
    NP: TENDERLAND SUITE--- AARON COPLAND. The CD also offers his Piano Concerto.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THOMAS AND THE KING (John Williams)

Some songs are ok-ish, but most of it meanders both in the lyrics and music department. Not one of Johnny's shining moments, that's for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    never heard it before
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    never heard it before

You're not missing much.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012
    I heard it once and that was more than enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Apparently I won't ask Thor for a download. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Apparently I won't ask Thor for a download. smile

TRUE biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012
    What a glorious day! biggrin

Off out into my garden to do some weight training with music for company punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Symphony No. 1 "The Gothic" - Havergal Brian

Oh my oh my! This is freaking huge!
    Large extended orchestra (BBC included) and multiple choirs totalling around 800 people all up!
    All performing for nearly two hours under the batten of Martyn Brabbins.
    This monster symphony is fairly new to me. But wow, I'm glad I've found it! Great, powerful, massive stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Symphony No. 1 "The Gothic" - Havergal Brian

Oh my oh my! This is freaking huge!
    Large extended orchestra (BBC included) and multiple choirs totalling around 800 people all up!
    All performing for nearly two hours under the batten of Martyn Brabbins.
    This monster symphony is fairly new to me. But wow, I'm glad I've found it! Great, powerful, massive stuff!

I believe it employs the largest orchestral forces of any work and is in the Guinness Book of Records as the "largest" symphony. ( I'll have to look this up to get my facts right )

I think it's a fabulous work, glad you're enjoying it beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    What a glorious day! biggrin

Off out into my garden to do some weight training with music for company punk

Did my training and spent the next few hours listening to...

MELODY A.M. - Royksopp

FORWARDS - The Egg

SIMPLE THINGS - Zero 7

On a hot breezy sunny day listening don't get better love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    NP : FIRST CIRCLE - Pat Metheny Group

An old favourite, just wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012
    NP: VIOLA CONCERTO (John Williams)

A very lean and restrained work, but explores the whole range of the instrument.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012 edited
    NP : SWEET DREAMS - Roy Buchanan

From blues to jazz/funk, a master guitarist.

Thor, check out this track, very Gilmour/Floyd-esque, you may even recognise part of it if you ever owned the soundtrack to Carl Sagan's COSMOS.

FLY NIGHT BIRD
  4. NP: 'Aurora' (Hans Zimmer)

Hmmmm. All very good to give to charity, but this does feel like a piece that was composed a bit quickly.
  5. Maybe, I think it was done purely at the heat of the moment.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Just finished

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports

I never heard any Eno before, except Heat's Force Marker. A very, very good, laid-back, reflective, but somehow hopeful album, very restrained, the kind of music I love at the moment. Will listen to more of his.

Some of the music reminds me somehow of James Horner's ambient scores like House of Sand and Fog or The Life Before Her Eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012
    Dessine-moi un mouton - Mylène Farmer

The inherent melancholy of Saint-Exupéry has always touched me deeply, and the thoroughly invasive song by Farmer always strikes a VERY strong chord with me..

It may just be the most melancholic song I know.
    If one is familiar with Le Petit Prince, that is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just finished

I never heard any Eno before, except Heat's Force Marker. A very, very good, laid-back, reflective, but somehow hopeful album, very restrained, the kind of music I love at the moment. Will listen to more of his.

Some of the music reminds me somehow of James Horner's ambient scores like House of Sand and Fog or The Life Before Her Eyes.

Eno has always been a fav of mine, but even moreso in recent years, with my newfound love of the calm, hypnotic and ambient. Check out the lovely...uhm, LOVELY BONES as well as his scores for fictional films.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just finished

Eno has always been a fav of mine, but even moreso in recent years, with my newfound love of the calm, hypnotic and ambient. Check out the lovely...uhm, LOVELY BONES as well as his scores for fictional films.

Eno is a genius! I've loved his work for years right from when I first heard of him as a member of Roxy Music.

Pawel, if I could recommend one album to you in particular it would be APPOLLO: ATMOSPHERES AND

Here's a track from it, ASCENT, this piece seers into the depths of my being, just sublimely beautiful and so haunting, it's often used in documentaries and the like and as such may even be familiar to you?

EDIT: Try this one> ASCENT
  7. Today, I plan on listening to Discreet Music.
  8. Vangelis - Heaven & Earth

Interesting album that will take me a longer time to fully get into. Somehow reminds me of early Mike Oldfield works.
  9. Vangelis - Silent Portraits

And this is one of my all-time favourite albums.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Heaven & Earth

Interesting album that will take me a longer time to fully get into. Somehow reminds me of early Mike Oldfield works.

Yes, very much so and that's no bad thing, great album!
  10. And obviously I meant Heaven and HELL not EARTH