• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    For some reason I'm thinking Symphony No.4.

I hear that in Williams Jaws 2. ( the Helicopter Attack )

I really want to know that First Knight link, if any?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    The RVW motif that Jeff refers to is at 3:40 in Raid on Leonesse (2:55 on the original album) - it's from the opening of Symphony No.6.
  1. Thanks!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cheers
    Jim Ware wrote
    The RVW motif that Jeff refers to is at 3:40 in Raid on Leonesse (2:55 on the original album) - it's from the opening of Symphony No.6.

Cheers Jim.

I'm startled that I never picked up on that before. It's very much like the closing statement of the 1st movement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014
    This has all prompted a bit of an RVW binge today. Symphonies 4, 6, 8 and now...

NP: Ralph Vaughan-Williams - Symphony No.5

This is the LSO/Hickox recording. It's a tragedy that Hickox passed away before being able to complete the cycle, but he did leave a legacy of many previously unrecorded RVW works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed Jim. I believe it was just # 7 'Antartica' that he didn't get to record.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    #9 too. I should really be listening to the Norfolk Rhapsodies since I'm in Norfolk this weekend!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, # 9 too. damn!

Jim, have you heard the Scott of The Antarctic score on Spotify? There are some differences between it and Rumon Gamba's rerecording. It claims to be the original score and the sound quality is very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    I'll check that out! Good thing it's a long weekend - this could be a long RVW session.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You can never be too long in the company of greatness. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014 edited
    Wow! I just looked at Rolling Stone's 2003 Top 500 albums list and was surprised to find that I've heard 462 of those albums.

http://www.archer2000.net/sbs/awardsrs500.html

I'd say there's about 30 of those albums I'm truly familiar with and there's a few hundred I would not be bothered if I never heard again.

There's some terrible omissions and there's some terrible choices ( all IMO of course ) but that's lists for you. wink

EDIT: Erik ( if you ever look in here? ) Meatloaf's BAT OUT OF HELL is at # 343 .......an unbelievably generous placing IMO biggrin wink
  2. A very American list it seems. A British or European list would look different.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014
    Isn't it just Captain. In fact I'd love to see a list made by journalists from Europe or Asia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    EDIT: Erik ( if you ever look in here? ) Meatloaf's BAT OUT OF HELL is at # 343 .......an unbelievably generous placing IMO biggrin wink

angry
    Go listen to some more Rautavaraa, Phillistine!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014 edited
    Rautavaara. Phillistine! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2014
    shame

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2014
    NP: SECOND TOUGHEST IN THE INFANTS (Underworld)

Great, classic album! "Air Towel" is on, and it is in curious synch with a non-stop car alarm outside. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I always loved the title of that album. biggrin ( good album too! )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLATINUM - Mike Oldfield

love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : L.A. WOMAN - The Doors

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VELVET MOUNTAIN - Goldfrapp

One of my all time favourite albums. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
    NP: FANTASIE EN UT MAJEUR (Franz Schubert)

Lovely, stripped-down version for piano and violin. This is the Harmonia Mundi recording with Gabrielle Faust and Alexander Melnikov as soloists.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014
    NP : THE David Whitaker SONGBOOK

A real mish-mash compilation of Whitaker's work from his Pop beginings like The Last Time under the name THE ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA, a now infamous piece due to it's sampling by pop band THE VERVE to later fair like his contributions to French group AIR, it also contains 4 tracks from his beautiful score to Run Wild, Run Free, a boy and his horse movie starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

My favourite track is Pavane, the liner notes give no indication of where this comes from but it's a stunningly beautiful piece that I can only think was written as a homage to French composer Gabriel Faure, it really is that good.

David Whitaker's superb talents are seriously lacking in the world of soundtrack CD releases with Doctor Jeckyll and Sister Hyde being nearly released several times, the above mentioned Run Wild, Run Free which was only ever released on LP and a tiny smattering of his work for HAMMER on various compilation CD's, The Sword and The Sorceror and Harry, He is Here are, I think, the only two soundtrack releases of Whitaker's work released.
  3. Everyone is Everybody Else (1974) - Barclay James Harvest

Back when I was in high school, late at night, in stark darkness, when I was long supposed to be sleeping, I had my earphones on and listened to my LPs of Barclay James Harvest. I guess noone forgets the music he was hearing during those adolescence years.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2014
    NP : TWELVE HOURS OF SUNSET - David Bedford

Gorgeous, Atonal/minimalistic piece for orchestra and choir. Would work very well in the end sequence of 2001 A Space Odyssey.
  4. NP:
    The BEATLES 1962-1966 The red one.
    The BEATLES 1967-1970 The blue one.

Very probably the greatest best-of anthology ever put together. Sublime!

punk Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:
    The BEATLES 1962-1966 The red one.
    The BEATLES 1967-1970 The blue one.

Very probably the greatest best-of anthology ever put together. Sublime!

punk Volker

Agree! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MEDDLE - Pink Floyd

Hot sunshine while Echoes plays....BLISS! love
  5. By ways of unfathomable transdimensional, paranormal and transcentental cosmic interconnection, it was just that album that I transferred to my i-pod some hours ago.

You might call it a mere coincidence but that would be really dull, wouldn't it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin beer