• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Oxygene (1976) - Jean Michel Jarre

This was 38 years ago and it still sounds like the future.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Oxygene (1976) - Jean Michel Jarre

This was 38 years ago and it still sounds like the future.

Hard to believe I bought the 45rpm single of this when it was in the UK pop charts.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    When I bought the Jarre single I also bought another 45rpm that was a chart hit.

Do you remember this captain?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Magic Fly! shocked
    That brings back some memories.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I own the album. More disco than Jarre but great anyway. I searched for that cue for years in the days before internet. Then found it on some obscure disco compilation. Today it's on many such albums.

Here is another one from that time. These guys are from Holland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60HpUaCJO6k
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    More than anything I am now transported back to the time of those extremely cheap "synthesizer greatest" albums (I thnik there may have been five or six?) of the late eighties.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. That was an original recording, though. But yes, "Aurora" featured on one of these albums I believe. I never bought them but used to listen to them in the record stores to find out the names of tunes that I was looking for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    More than anything I am now transported back to the time of those extremely cheap "synthesizer greatest" albums (I thnik there may have been five or six?) of the late eighties.

I had several of those (or variations thereof) from the late 80s and onwards -- both on CD and cassette. Today, I consider them cheap and cheesy, but at the time they were very important to me -- they opened my eyes to various electronic artists (that of course sounded much better in their original format) and was part of my path towards film music down the road.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I just saw a documentary about the history of the European Song Contest. This song they played just blew me away. I understand it's about the political division of Cyprus.

Eurovision 1976 - Mariza Koch - Panayia mu, panayia mu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flOGrT0OMMQ

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014
    NP: HOW DARE YOU! (10CC)

A classic art rock album that is one of the ones I owned on cassette way back when. Didn't like it so much back then (found it too weird and 'dissonant'), but I dig it now, and it's been played a gazillion times since.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014
    Thor wrote
    NP: HOW DARE YOU! (10CC)

A classic art rock album that is one of the ones I owned on cassette way back when. Didn't like it so much back then (found it too weird and 'dissonant'), but I dig it now, and it's been played a gazillion times since.

cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014
    NP : SCHOOL DAYS - Stanley Clarke

Excellent! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014 edited
    NP: YELLOW ALBUM (Orbital)

One of their best studio albums, even though the Manchester beat and circling, high-pitch sounds eventually wear one down a bit.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 6 'PASTORAL' - Ludvig Van Beethoven

love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2014 edited
    NP : TOSCA - Giacomo Puccini

Incredible! I have to be in the right mood for opera and this is one of the greatest works ever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2014
    NP : VIOLIN CONCERTO # 1 - Max Bruch

Amazing work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2014
    I've been very much of a classical mood the last few days.

NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

I never tire of this most magnificent and influential of works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2014 edited
    NP : CONCIERTO DE ARANJEUZ - Joachin Rodrigo

Bliss!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2014
    NP : THE FIREBIRD - Igor Stravinsky

Superlative!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 6 'PASTORAL' - Johannes Brahms

love

I thought Brahms only wrote four symphonies? dizzy

Beethoven?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 6 'PASTORAL' - Johannes Brahms

love

I thought Brahms only wrote four symphonies? dizzy

Beethoven?

Ooops! shame

Well spotted Jim. Either people aren't looking in this thread or they don't know their tits from their arses. cheesy

It was a simple mistake as the album also featured a program of Brahms. I did of course mean Beethoven and I've now fixed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Either people aren't looking in this thread or they don't know their tits from their arses. cheesy

Aimez-vous Bates?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014
    NP : CARMEN SUITE - Georges Bizet

love
  5. edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    edit

Sucked into a black hole and deposited on another thread 6 hours ago is my bet! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014 edited
    ...on a classical playing spree and not going to play Vaughan Williams? Don't be silly!

NP : JOB: A MASQUE FOR DANCING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sir Adrian Boult conducts. Just brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014 edited
    edit
  6. As the person probably knowing Vaughan Williams the best here... Jeff Bond in his liner notes for First Knight says that one of Goldsmith's themes for Malagant (the "fanfare" I think?) is inspired by Vaughan Williams. Do you know which work could that be?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014
    Hmmm? I'm struggling with this one Pawel. Unless I'm missing something obvious I don't hear Vaughan Williams in any of the First Knight score. William Walton? Perhaps!?

Do you have Jeff Bond on FB? Why not ask him Pawel, I want to know the answer too, I'd do it myself but I don't have the liner notes to hand to accurately reference the quote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014
    For some reason I'm thinking Symphony No.4.