• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014
    Thor wrote
    That's kinda brutal. There's some really good stuff there, especially the 70's stuff (and some 80s).

yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Oldfield's pretty amazing!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Demetris: shocked Argh!!

Thor: I bought the CD. And it will stay in my PC media library.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014 edited
    Tastes my friend, tastes. It's one of those artists i can't get into, at all. Same goes for Maurice Jarre btw, with the exception of Jesus of Nazreth.

Is there anything you and me agree on? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Er, yes, surely we do, can't seem to remember anything right now ... but of course you like your conpatriot Vangelis?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    I find all Mike Oldfield music boring.

He's definitely not boring. The guy is also a genuine musical genius.

Still, if he's not your thing then that is fair enough. ( Howabout Music of The Spheres? Did you try that one D, it's fully orchestral )

I'm also stunned that someone who professes to love gorgeous string writing has never got into the godliness of Vaughan Williams confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. He also loves Brian Tyler, partly for playing many instruments and somehow forgets that on his first albums Oldfield played like 20 instruments for an album? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He also loves Brian Tyler, partly for playing many instruments and somehow forgets that on his first albums Oldfield played like 20 instruments for an album? wink

Oldfield was 19 years old when he did Tubular Bells ( and formulated it at a younger age ) and played the majority of instruments ( in particular Oldfield has a unique guitar sound that, like all the great guitarists, is identifiable as his and nobody elses ), a truly ground breaking work unlike anything before it. It's amazing that such a work became one of the biggest selling albums of all time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Yeah, it is. Though to be honest, my first full listen to the piece wasn't exactly impressive. I got very tired and didn't finish.

Some years later during one of my London trips... My friend Richard is one of the co-authors of tubular.net and he of course has all the remasters that were released and we listened to it in 5.1. I fell in love.

Also, my first exposure to Oldfield's music was actually Music of the Spheres. While I had issues with Tubular Bells at first, I utterly *loved* Ommadawn from the get-go. Go figure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He also loves Brian Tyler, partly for playing many instruments and somehow forgets that on his first albums Oldfield played like 20 instruments for an album? wink

I like Tyler for his style, not that he plays so many instruments wink Tiersen also plays a lot of instruments, and i like his style too. But not so much Oldfield. As for spheres, i'll have to check that out again 'cause i have a very vague memory of the album.

Tim, what Vaughan Williams works would you recommend as being closer to the romantic style of writing that i so love? For instance, Tchaikovsky orchestral works that i so love.
  6. Tchaikovsky! love

Brilliant Classics has introduced an affordable 55 CD set of the majority of his works for $129.95. I'm currently listening in between soundtracks and doing a review. At a little more than $2 per CD this is a good buy.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Eugene Zador was the chief orchestrator for Miklos Rosza but the Hungarian composed some great music and "5 Contrasts For Orchestra" is a fine example of what he is capable of.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/f … orkszador/
    The link is for a review I did nearly two years ago. Classic Online (Naxos) has it on line for download.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    As for spheres, i'll have to check that out again 'cause i have a very vague memory of the album.

Do give it another try D. It's very film music-like and it's far more melodic and thematic than a lot of current film scoring. And it's orchestrated by Karl Jenkins.

Demetris wrote
    Tim, what Vaughan Williams works would you recommend as being closer to the romantic style of writing that i so love? For instance, Tchaikovsky orchestral works that i so love

Well, he's too different from Tchaikovsky to be compared ( I also love the great Russian ) wink

I'll start with 3 recommendations, The Lark Ascending ( try Nigel Kennedy's rendition ), Fantasia On A Theme by Thomas Tallis and Symphony # 5

Rather than me gushing about them I'll let the works speak for themselves.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Tchaikovsky! love

Brilliant Classics has introduced an affordable 55 CD set of the majority of his works for $129.95. I'm currently listening in between soundtracks and doing a review. At a little more than $2 per CD this is a good buy.
    Tom

That's interesting, Tom. Somehow, though, you managed to destroy my original massage. I asked Demetris whether he also liked Shostakovic, Prokofieff, Rimski-Korssakoff or Rachmaninov. That part has disappeard.

wink Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For me, Shostakovitch long, long ago replaced Tchaikovsky as my # 1 Russian composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Tchaikovsky! love

Tom

That's interesting, Tom. Somehow, though, you managed to destroy my original massage. I asked Demetris whether he also liked Shostakovic, Prokofieff, Rimski-Korssakoff or Rachmaninov. That part has disappeard.

wink Volker

Sorry Volker I screwed up and used the edit function by mistake sad If 'D' wants some help in this area I probably have over 200 CD's of those four composers, yikes.

1. Shostakovich has written some wonderful film scores such as Gadfly and Hamlet, powerful symphonies and even started jazz foundations.
    2. Prokofiev'a music was witty, melodic, and filled with sarcasm. He wrote a film score Alexander Nevsky which has to be ranked near the top.
    3. Rimsky Korsakov was a master in orchestration with such works as Scheherazade and Cappricio Espagnol and I'm sure he's been studied as he wrote a fine book on the subject.
    4. Rachmaninoff was one of the last holdouts of the Romantic era and his piano concertos while a bit showy are some of the best. His other works such as The Rock, Symphonic Dances, and Isle of the Dead are some of my favorites.
    Sorry again for the goof up.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014 edited
    NP : 50 WORDS FOR SNOW - Kate Bush

It took me awhile to warm to this one ( pun intended ), I now think it's brilliant!

The woman is a genius and the greatest living female composer on the planet IMO.
  8. sdtom wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Tchaikovsky! love

Tom

wink Volker

Sorry Volker I screwed up and used the edit function by mistake sad If 'D' wants some help in this area I probably have over 200 CD's of those four composers, yikes.

1. Shostakovich has written some wonderful film scores such as Gadfly and Hamlet, powerful symphonies and even started jazz foundations.
    2. Prokofiev'a music was witty, melodic, and filled with sarcasm. He wrote a film score Alexander Nevsky which has to be ranked near the top.
    3. Rimsky Korsakov was a master in orchestration with such works as Scheherazade and Cappricio Espagnol and I'm sure he's been studied as he wrote a fine book on the subject.
    4. Rachmaninoff was one of the last holdouts of the Romantic era and his piano concertos while a bit showy are some of the best. His other works such as The Rock, Symphonic Dances, and Isle of the Dead are some of my favorites.
    Sorry again for the goof up.
    Tom

No worries, Tom! smile I am glad to report that I am already familiar with most of the works you cite. It seems that I am not that ill versed in the classical field of music anymore.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

It took me awhile to warm to this one ( pun intended ), I now think it's brilliant!

The woman is a genius and the greatest living female composer on the planet IMO.

NP : THE SENSUAL WORLD - Kate Bush

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Tchaikovsky! love

Tom

wink Volker

Yeap, romantic era is the music closest to my heart, but Tchaikovsky tops them all as far as emotional impact is concerned. Tim, thanks a lot, i am seeking out the R.Vaughan Williams works you recommended. Cheers
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're welcome D. All three of those works are very easy to track down and you must let me know what you thought after listening. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.brilliantclassics.com/articl … y-edition/

If you go through Naxos Online the price is only $129.95. A little over $2 per CD
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Finally I'm listening to Vaughan Williams "Wasp"
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Crikey. I can't stand her music! dizzy
  9. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think she did some of the best rock albums ever. Her debut "The Kick Inside" remains my favourite.
    In my imagination there is an adaptation of "Wuthering Hights" scored by David Arnold. The trailer is scored with a version of the song of the same name performed by the LSO, the London Voices and of course Kate Bush. smile Does anyone else here have such day dreams about imagined film projects?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, I remember you saying something akin to that before. She's a consummate musician, an original, truly unique and massively influential, she is truly and gloriously BRILLIANT! You, of course, are welcome to your own opinion.

Funny enough, I don't really know your taste in music outside of film and classical. Lets be having it then?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think she did some of the best rock albums ever. Her debut "The Kick Inside" remains my favourite.
    In my imagination there is an adaptation of "Wuthering Hights" scored by David Arnold. The trailer is scored with a version of the song of the same name performed by the LSO, the London Voices and of course Kate Bush. smile Does anyone else here have such day dreams about imagined film projects?

Volker

Erm???? I'll just stick to Kate's The Kick Inside thank you very much. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, I remember you saying something akin to that before. She's a consummate musician, an original, truly unique and massively influential, she is truly and gloriously BRILLIANT! You, of course, are welcome to your own opinion.

biggrin beer

Funny enough, I don't really know your taste in music outside of film and classical. Lets be having it then?

I generally gravitate towards acoustic, rock and heavy metal. Off the top of my head, I'm a big fan of Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, In Flames, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Muse, Pearl Jam, Tenacious D, Mumford and Sons, The Fray, Poets of the Fall (perhaps my favourite band)... erm, probably plenty of others I can't think of at the moment.

But yes. That 'sort of thing', if you will.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Exactly the kind of taste that's unlikely to be a fan of Kate Bush. wink

I like some of those, particularly Muse and the Chili's.

Mumford and Sons? Oh dear! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I know, I know. I'm a total hipster. shame (I even have hipster glasses unbeknownst to me, as someone recently pointed out. slant )