• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I just edited my above post. Thor, go listen to Alleluia & Fugue.

Just did. Beautiful!

beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Symphony No. 19 "Vishnu" by Alan Hovhaness
    Sevan Philharmonic conducted by the composer. A recording from 1971.

Well, this is far more modernist than Mysterious Mountain. Great, great music nontheless.

Volker

A great work. Not as assessable as Mysterious Mountain but I love it. ( as you know, a small section of it is used on the Cosmos soundtrack )

Captain Future wrote
    I thought there were traces of Rozsa in "Alleluia & Fuge". Probably we all hear our favourite composers in other people's work.

Well, Hovhaness himself alludes that this is Vaughan Williams inspired. Without knowing this I would, of course, still called it Vaughan Williams inspired. I can see where you're coming from though Captain. ( I think I hear more Rozsa in the Lili Boulanger piece I posted a link to a few posts above this )

Captain, have you heard Hovhaness Symphony # 50 Mt. St. Helens? If not please do so, you're in for a treat.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014
    Hovhaness hasn't done much in the way of film or TV work ( no film in fact ) and much of it is existing music as in the use of his work in Cosmos. He did score a documentary called Winds of Everest ( sounds perfectly suited ) but it's not available in any form as far as I can see.

I cannot for one moment believe a composer of his stature didn't get offered film work.
  1. Not every composer is necessarily interested in doing film music, or program music in general. I imagine the circumstances, the time pressure, the music being subdued in the final product ... , will not appeal to every composer.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014 edited
    Very true Captain and quite likely within the reasons you gave. Stravinsky ( infamously ) wanted a whole year to score a film. Hence there are no film scores by Igor Stravinsky. wink

Ralph Vaughan Williams, on the other hand, thought that every "serious" composer worth their salt should give film composing a try, describing it as a great discipline. Refreshingly un-snobby was Mr Vaughan Williams.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One more thing, Vaughan Williams was a big fan of Westerns and really wanted to do a Western score, something he never got the chance to do. Perhaps if he'd left the UK and moved to Hollywood would have helped? They don't and never have filmed Westerns in Gloucestershire. wink
  2. Timmer wrote
    One more thing, Vaughan Williams was a big fan of Westerns and really wanted to do a Western score, something he never got the chance to do. Perhaps if he'd left the UK and moved to Hollywood would have helped? They don't and never have filmed Westerns in Gloucestershire. wink

Why not? It's out west...compared to London, at least. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
  3. Timmer wrote

Ralph Vaughan Williams, on the other hand, thought that every "serious" composer worth their salt should give film composing a try, describing it as a great discipline. Refreshingly un-snobby was Mr Vaughan Williams.

It's a personal decision for an artist not to make any compromises when it comes to his art. I wouldn't call it "snobby". There is great risk in taking the road less travelled by. If the artist is ready to earn his living if necessary by taxi driving, I raise my hat to him. (Would I wear hats, that is.)
  4. NP: Hamburger Symphonien (1979) - Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
    The Academy of ancient Music conducted by Christopher Hogwood (Decca)

C.P.E. bridges the late Baroque period and that of the Vienna Classics. They celebrate his 300th birthday this year and listening to his music on the radio got me hooked. All of Bach's sons are overshadowed by the father, yet they all deserve recognition of their own. Carl Philipp Emanuel most of all.
  5. NP: Mysterious Mountain (Alan Hovhaness)
    John Williams conducting the LSO on Sony

Man, this recording (Shawn Murphy) is head and shoulders above the Seattle Symphony one on Delos. The Delos album on the other hand contains further great pieces by Hovhaness. I have not listened to The Five Sacred Trees by Williams yet.
    Thanks, Thor, for pointing out the Sony Album! (I got a low priced used copy in mint condition.)

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014
    It is a superior recording and a great interpretation by maestro Williams.

Still, IMO the Delos CD far outweighs the Sony simply because of the fabulous works that are included.

As for Williams, I would love to hear his take on Vaughan Williams symphonies ( as long as it didn't get in the way of him scoring wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, and not only Vaughan Williams. I'd love to see Williams do more classical recordings. Of course, he did quite a few with the Boston Pops, but they were mostly 'evergreen' compilations.

A rare exception, and the ONLY time Williams performed as pianist on a non-vocal classical album is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQ … amp;sr=8-2

The recording is from 1974.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I learn something new everyday. smile ......and to think Steven once had the moniker 'Ultimate-Williams-Fan' cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I learn something new everyday. smile ......and to think Steven once had the moniker 'Ultimate-Williams-Fan' cheesy

confused
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

confused

Steven at this here board ( who won't thank me ) used the name Ultimate-Williams-Fan when we were all at the old ScoreReviews board. I'm sort of saying that you are more deserving of that title. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah...I see. Well, thanks, I guess. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TAKEN: THE SEARCH FOR SOPHIE PARKER (Frederik Wiedmann)

The film sounds like a cheap TV rip-off of the TAKEN films with Liam Neeson, but there's some good things in the score. But the Bourne riffs are a bit tiring.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: TAKEN: THE SEARCH FOR SOPHIE PARKER (Frederik Wiedmann)

The film sounds like a cheap TV rip-off of the TAKEN films with Liam Neeson, but there's some good things in the score. But the Bourne riffs are a bit tiring.

That's nice Thor. Got the right thread have we? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Blast!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Man on the Rocks (2014) - Mike Oldfield
    Instrumental version.

Actually I like the instrumental version way better than the vocal one. dizzy

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2014
    I'm afraid I don't really like it Captain. I shall give it one more try though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014
    NP : SYMPHONY # 40 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

A lovely and soothing work.
  7. If the term "evergreen" can be applied to classical music, this one's it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote

I have a habit of listening to #40 and #41 in a row. Such magnificent pieces.
  8. Josh B wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have a habit of listening to #40 and #41 in a row. Such magnificent pieces.

yeah
  9. Nikolai Rimski-Korssakoff
    (or Korsakov)

My own playlist. Incredible fellow that!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Nikolai Rimski-Korssakoff
    (or Korsakov)

My own playlist. Incredible fellow that!

Volker

Indeed!

Tis possible that only Alan will remember this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PEER GYNT - Edvard Grieg

One of my childhood favourites and one that has stood the test of time. Just gorgeous and still a favourite.
  10. Timmer wrote
    NP : PEER GYNT - Edvard Grieg

One of my childhood favourites and one that has stood the test of time. Just gorgeous and still a favourite.

Do you know the original theatrical version of the music? In contrast to the concert suite the music has voices and even a choir! When I listened to that version for the first time it caught me by sheer surprise and I nearly fell from my chair. smile

http://www.amazon.de/Grieg-Peer-Gynt-Si … J%C3%A4rvi