• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Close to Volker's heart is the Paul Hindemith piece "Symphonic Metamorphosis" which is based on melodies of Weber. His neo baroque style takes a bit of getting use to but it is a rewarding listen.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Indeed, Tom. cheesy I recently listened to "Matis der Maler" by Hindemith and the "Variations" are also on that album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014
    NP : CARMINA BURANA - Carl Orff

I haven't played this for many years and now I realise why ( philistine moment approaching ), it's because I don't really like it beyond the famous bit, O Fortuna, that was famously used as the theme for The Omen.

I'll be getting my hit of Orff off compilations in future.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    of Orff off

dizzy dizzy dizzy

The other piece I quite like from Carmina Burana is "In taberna quando sumus" which always reminds me of Alan Silvestri's MouseHunt theme for some reason.
  3. I love all of it. All the way through. I once saw a great live performance with a Jarre like light show and the wheel of fortune projected turning in the background. Wow!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BEST OF... (Electric Light Orchestra)

I have an interesting story about this album, but I'm too lazy to type it in now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE BEST OF... (Electric Light Orchestra)

I have an interesting story about this album, but I'm too lazy to type it in now.

You should get some of their albums Thor, there's some fantastic non-commercial tracks. My highest recommendations would be Face The Music and Out of The Blue.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Deja vu! wink

Yeah, I know.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...and all available on Spotify. smile
  4. Balance of Power was one of the first rock albums I bought when I was about 12 years old. I was a big big fan of CALLING AMERICA back then. I still like the album even though I can see why it is generally regarded as one of their weaker offerings. It's quite streamlined. Nostalgia involved here, of course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014
    NP : DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - Pink Floyd

One of the greatest albums ever! love
  5. yeah cool
  6. NP: Music that features in the original series COSMOS.

I was never able to lay my hand on that 2CD soundtrack but upon checking its content again I discovered that meanwhile I have collected almost everything that was on that soundtrack, so I could create a playlist that would come pretty close.
    I have all the Vangelis, Tomita, Synergy, Bach, Vivaldi, Stravinsky, Pachelbel, Shostakovich stuff.

Two notable things I don't have:

Yamaguchi: DIpicting Cranes in their Nest
    Sagan apparently put this on that golden disc they sent into space. I'm not so keen on it anyway based on what I can hear on YouTube.

Alan Hovhaness: Symphony no. 19
    I don't have anything by Hovhaness at all. sad I always ment to buy that "Mysterious Mountain" piece that everybody seems to love.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014 edited
    Hovhaness is EXCELLENT! You need to explore. I think you're also missing Roy Buchanan's excellent piece too.

FLY NIGHT BIRD
  7. Timmer wrote
    Hovhaness is EXCELLENT! You need to explore. I think you're also missing Roy Buchanan's excellent piece too.

FLY NIGHT BIRD

Hovhaness: I will.
    Buchanan: Cool piece!

O, and Rimski-Korsakov! I have that stuff, too.

If I have some time on my hand I'll do that playlist. Could be fun.

V.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014 edited
    A stunning version of Lili Boulanger's epic piece...

Veille Prierre Bouddhique

love
  8. NP: The Sea Named Solaris - Tomita; J.B. Bach
    From the album COSMOS.

I love how this was (a) a part of the soundtrack of the series by Carl Sagan and is (b) a tribute to Eduard Artemjew.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014
    I almost want to include "Thief of Bagdad" as a classical orchestral suite and not even bother to call it film music. It rivals Rimsky-Korsakov in terms of orchestration, Tchaikovsky in terms of melody. I noticed that no one responded to the new release of Rozsa material on his own thread. No comment necessary
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love all the CHANDOS film score releases too, I'll be getting the Rozsa release.

Did you listen to the Boulanger piece I linked above Tom?
  9. I gave the release it's due praise on the "Now playing" thread. It's brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you want to do the drop box I have a digital file I can send you.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    I gave the release it's due praise on the "Now playing" thread. It's brilliant!

Brilliant is an understatement. This isn't film music it's as good as any tone poem I have in my collection and I have 100's. A little bit of rearranging to make it fluid for the classical listener and it could be performed as part of a symphony concert. It's that good.
    Tom
  10. NP:
    Roy Buchanan: Fligh ... Night Bird

This has a distinct Pink Floyd vibe to it. Very cool!

Alan Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain
    Seattle Symphony, Gerard Schwarz

shocked shocked omg shocked shocked

Fantastic!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014
    Glad you discovered "Mysterious Mountain" at last. The best way to go is to order the CD which includes that piece and Williams' "Five Sacred Trees" (my favourite concert piece of his). Plus some other good ones.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Glad you discovered "Mysterious Mountain" at last. The best way to go is to order the CD which includes that piece and Williams' "Five Sacred Trees" (my favourite concert piece of his). Plus some other good ones.

With all due respect, that is not the best way to go if you want to discover more of Hovhaness music, I would order THIS CD which includes Mysterious Mountain and other works by Hovhaness.

Including this sublimely beautiful piece Alleluia & Fugue, very very Vaughan Williams influenced. Thor, you need to hear this piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

With all due respect, that is not the best way to go if you want to discover more of Hovhaness music, I would order THIS CD which includes Mysterious Mountain and other works by Hovhaness.

True, but if you want Williams' BEST concert piece in addition to a great performance of that particular Hovhanness piece, it's a great buy.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just edited my above post. Thor, go listen to Alleluia & Fugue.
  11. I thought there were traces of Rozsa in "Alleluia & Fuge". Probably we all hear our favourite composers in other people's work.

NP: Symphony No. 19 "Vishnu" by Alan Hovhaness
    Sevan Philharmonic conducted by the composer. A recording from 1971.

Well, this is far more modernist than Mysterious Mountain. Great, great music nontheless.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I just edited my above post. Thor, go listen to Alleluia & Fugue.

Just did. Beautiful!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    .edit