• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    The clips don't do it justice btw, especially the last 5-6 cues where he departs the 20's style into grand orchestral awesomeness and some very dramatic passages as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    D has never recommended a score that I didn't like. So, I will get this one too.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. D Has Never Recommended Ridley Scott.

Waiting for somebody to recognize and understand that joke, in the mean time, getting my coat...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm.
    Logically:
    D has never recommended a score that I didn't like
    D Has Never Recommended Ridley Scott

Therefore "a score that I didn't like" = "Ridley Scott"

Therefore the only conclusion can be a misspelling, and the proper statement should have been "D has never recommended a SCOTT that I didn't like".

Problem solved.
    You can go about your business.
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    <waves hand in Jedi-like gestures>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Nope.

It's a reference to t-shirts worn on the set of Blade Runner which were based on a statement by Will Rogers, who said he'd never met a person he wouldn't like.

So one day everybody came on the set with a t-shirt "Will Rogers Never Met Ridley Scott."
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    Added Brian Tyler's fast five awesome score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

It's Tyler, so it sounds very similar to every other Tyler score. But I think this one mixes some of his best stuff into one score. The album is a bit long, but the highlights are awesome.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This, my friend, is pure pleasure. My students at the college are going crazy about it and i don't blame them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdFNLH-xQM
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Meh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I liked it! spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I'm just going to say everything Alexandre Desplat wrote this year except Largo Winch 2, and everything Thomas Newman wrote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Everything Newman wrote? The help is quite good but for nostalgic reasons maybe, i am sure there are better scores than this in '11 smile As for Desplat, only "LA FILLE DU PULSATIER" (ALEXANDRE DESPLAT) was in my league personally, although i do respect the rest of his work, especially his latest, Ides of March. Cold and very austere, but worked in respect for the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    This, my friend, is pure pleasure. My students at the college are going crazy about it and i don't blame them!

It's a very cool riff and there's no doubt Tyler knows his way around a drum set, but it falls neatly into the ubiquitous ostinato action music-thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That's video is kind of blowing my mind with Tyler being in two places at once.... :D
  4. Christodoulides wrote

Fast Five has a score? shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Christodoulides wrote

This guy should have been in a rock band instead of writing for film !!!

No seriously.... rolleyes

90% of the stuff he writes goes in the one ear, and out the other. It's so incredibly bland IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011
    But there's grooves and orchestral manipulation and Brazilian stuff and... blaaaaaaaa!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

This guy should have been in a rock band instead of writing for film !!!

No seriously.... rolleyes

90% of the stuff he writes goes in the one ear, and out the other. It's so incredibly bland IMO.

He has energy, passion and soul. Watch the video above. He's got style and he loves what he does, in contrast to simply going to the paycheck dead-bored, dead-boring your audience as well, like many others do today, sadly a-list composers too.

Now, it's of course natural that it's not of everyone's tastes, his music, not everyone can rave about it of course; but you have to give him those qualities.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited
    I think Gilles has a point. Tyler's an exceptionally good drummer but I've known loads of drummers, just as good and occasionally better who have just as much energy, passion and soul, at heart I think Tyler IS a rock & roll drummer.

His film music rarely does anything for me, yes, he has the talent to read, write and play music but it's predominantly generic orchestral noise with no original voice, honestly, if he just disappeared off the radar I wouldn't notice.

I like some of his stuff but it's very few and far between, and there's nothing that, if taken from me that I would really miss.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    He has energy, passion and soul. Watch the video above. He's got style and he loves what he does, in contrast to simply going to the paycheck dead-bored, dead-boring your audience as well, like many others do today, sadly a-list composers too.

So if Jablonsky shares a video of him smiling, conducting, wear some nice clothes, styled hair, playing his synths for his dreadful score to Transformers 3 we should just applauded the work anyway because he's putting a lot of energy, passion and soul into the score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I could quite happily live the rest of my existence without Steve Jablonsky too! I feel ruthless tonight, I might start mentioning more composers I couldn't give two figs for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That James Horner... what a hack.

popcorn

-Erik-
  6. Timmer wrote
    I think Gilles has a point. Tyler's an exceptionally good drummer but I've known loads of drummers, just as good and occasionally better who have just as much energy, passion and soul, at heart I think Tyler IS a rock & roll drummer.

His film music rarely does anything for me, yes, he has the talent to read, write and play music but it's predominantly generic orchestral noise with no original voice, honestly, if he just disappeared off the radar I wouldn't notice.

I like some of his stuff but it's very few and far between, and there's nothing that, if taken from me that I would really miss.

Personally I usually quite enjoy Tyler's output. I would argue that he does have an original voice. Yes, it's in amongst a particular genre of film scoring but what he does is distinctive and you can usually tell when it's a Tyler score. And if that is the case then surely he has an "original voice"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't know that there's a single film composer I can't appreciate when I'm in the right mood to hear them, and I'm thankful for every single one of them.

just saying
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The brilliant James Horner? Not biting! You'll have to fish better than that your Erik'ness. wink
  7. I watched about am inute of that video.

What "passion"? The techniques and rythems are nothing new; there's no flavor, experimentation -- no "passion" behind the music. It's paint by the numbers experienced drummer stuff.

What "soul"? It sounded like a precise connect-the-dots performance and sound to me.

"energy"? Just seemed liek a regular pro session to me. Maybe a little drive in the conducting.

I don't think any of this would cut the mustard in a group like, say, Incantation.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Some people just want to be negative.
  9. Some people just want to be positive.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Most original score?
    Not even close.
    Most enjoyable, energetic and fun score?
    Right up there with the best of 'em!
    Hella fun!

Steven wrote
    The album is a bit long, but the highlights are awesome.

punk

Enjoying the heck out of this score every time I play it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn