• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011
    Some people just want to be negative.

Some people just want to be positive.

I wonder what Harry Hill would say?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    He has energy, passion and soul. Watch the video above. He's got style and he loves what he does, in contrast to simply going to the paycheck dead-bored, dead-boring your audience as well, like many others do today, sadly a-list composers too.

So if Jablonsky shares a video of him smiling, conducting, wear some nice clothes, styled hair, playing his synths for his dreadful score to Transformers 3 we should just applauded the work anyway because he's putting a lot of energy, passion and soul into the score.

-Erik-

Give me a break you don't seriously compare Jablo (who hasn't got his own voice, no nothing) with Brian.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I think Gilles has a point. Tyler's an exceptionally good drummer but I've known loads of drummers, just as good and occasionally better who have just as much energy, passion and soul, at heart I think Tyler IS a rock & roll drummer.

His film music rarely does anything for me, yes, he has the talent to read, write and play music but it's predominantly generic orchestral noise with no original voice, honestly, if he just disappeared off the radar I wouldn't notice.

I like some of his stuff but it's very few and far between, and there's nothing that, if taken from me that I would really miss.

Personally I usually quite enjoy Tyler's output. I would argue that he does have an original voice. Yes, it's in amongst a particular genre of film scoring but what he does is distinctive and you can usually tell when it's a Tyler score. And if that is the case then surely he has an "original voice"?

He has a very distinctive voice, it's a mixture of other styles yes, but what he created is his; instantly when you listen to one of his scores, you know it's him, very unlike the majority of the composers' his age. And what are we comparing here, apples and oranges? James Horner in a Brian Tyler talk?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    I watched about am inute of that video.

What "passion"? The techniques and rythems are nothing new; there's no flavor, experimentation -- no "passion" behind the music. It's paint by the numbers experienced drummer stuff.

What "soul"? It sounded like a precise connect-the-dots performance and sound to me.

"energy"? Just seemed liek a regular pro session to me. Maybe a little drive in the conducting.

I don't think any of this would cut the mustard in a group like, say, Incantation.

Yeah, mmkay. To each his own.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Some people just want to be negative.

Some people just want to be positive.

I wonder what Harry Hill would say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ajHs8tCWew
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    He has energy, passion and soul. Watch the video above. He's got style and he loves what he does, in contrast to simply going to the paycheck dead-bored, dead-boring your audience as well, like many others do today, sadly a-list composers too.

So if Jablonsky shares a video of him smiling, conducting, wear some nice clothes, styled hair, playing his synths for his dreadful score to Transformers 3 we should just applauded the work anyway because he's putting a lot of energy, passion and soul into the score.

-Erik-

Give me a break you don't seriously compare Jablo (who hasn't got his own voice, no nothing) with Brian.

That's not the point. According to your assessment a composer who has energy, passion and soul with style and loves what he does makes him a good composer. If Jablonsky shares the same qualities then you he should receive equal praise.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i was talking about Brian Tyler in specific. I wasn't making general assumptions, you were. I love Tyler's style in scores like fast five, that's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, i was talking about Brian Tyler in specific. I wasn't making general assumptions, you were. I love Tyler's style in scores like fast five, that's it.

No I'm not. You are the one that brought up passion, energy, style, soul, etc and that we have to admire that in a composer. Do you admire that in Jablonsky... minus style? biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    there is no passion in jablo. If zimmer ever built a very powerful computer with a software that could automatically compose scores this is exactly how it would sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    there is no passion in jablo.

Really? And you know this how?

Maybe Jablonsky needs to create a video of him playing one of his themes from Steamboy (great score) on the piano while smiling on the camera wearing some stylish threads. I'm sure you'd appreciate him then.

-Erik-
  3. Or better, perhaps Jablonsky can shed a tear as he performs one of his themes sensitively on a piano. Such a gesture might even earn him the label 'heartbreaking, passionate and truly rare' wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Or better, perhaps Jablonsky can shed a tear as he performs one of his themes sensitively on a piano. Such a gesture might even earn him the label 'heartbreaking, passionate and truly rare' wink

Or incredible conceeded.

Christodoulides, just admit Joblo' has no style, and problem solved -- then it's just your personal opinion to rally against.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    Opinions shmopinions.

-Erik-
  5. justin boggan wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Or better, perhaps Jablonsky can shed a tear as he performs one of his themes sensitively on a piano. Such a gesture might even earn him the label 'heartbreaking, passionate and truly rare' wink

Or incredible conceeded.

Conceded? I know not of what you speak.
  6. Joblo's warped your precious littl' mind.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Gentlemen.
    Take a step back and look at the issue you are arguing.

Jablonsky versus Tyler.

I will let this sink in for a minute.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ...that's actually not what they're arguing about.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited
    This isn't about Tyler vs. Jablosnky.

-Erik-
  7. Scribe wrote
    ...that's actually not what they're arguing about.

Right, but Martijn has so generous offered to draw the fire. How kind. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah, one cannot but try.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Conceited, perhaps? confused
  9. [Yoda]"Do or do not, there is no 'try'."[/Yoda]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    [Yoda]"Do or do not, there is no 'try'."[/Yoda]

applause

Come try, try that Mai-Tai that I like so well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmm, i am baffled. I can never set any opinions shmopinions against "Facts.!" anyway. I'll go listen to some passionate symphoniette's to help me make my mind up.
  10. Jablonsky's music for Steamboy contains some very memorable themes. I find it an excellent. If the film had been more "mainstream" I am sure more people would have raved about it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'll go listen to some passionate symphoniette's to help me make my mind up.

That was below the belt, D.
    Funny, but below the belt. wink

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jablonsky's music for Steamboy contains some very memorable themes. I find it an excellent. If the film had been more "mainstream" I am sure more people would have raved about it.

That's a very good point, actually. Steamboy was a very clever score with a lot to it.
    It actually really make me sit up and take notice of Jablonsky. Actually, there is quite a lot of good in Transformers too, I think.

Like with Tyler, I do see a lot of promise, but whether or not that eventually comes out in (more) memorable scores is of course -like with Tyler- VERY dependent upon the kind of jobs he gets offered and the kind of mandate he receives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011
    Updated with the best jazz score in ages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2011
    Does Rum Diaries have interesting themes or is it just meandering saxophone wailing? I really don't like jazz and saxophones so I'm scared of trying this...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!