• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's gorgeous.
  2. Very solid score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Very thematic, and as Michael said, very solid. Admirable work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    Is it possible to select in iTunes what track you have played the most in 2011? I know it remembers number of plays but does it also remember the dates? That would be fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It is also nice to just tell from your own experience what score or track you think you have played the most in 2011 smile

Any ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    The "what tracks have I played most" option in iTunes is fun indeed (and quite revealing!). However, it does not keep track WHEN you listened to these tracks. You can circumvent this though: it does have a field with the year of release. So include this field, make a selection of most listened tracks with year of release in 2011, and you know what tracks you listened to most of scores from this year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011 edited
    By the way, my favorites of the year are:

THE ARTIST - Ludovic Bource
    LA PIEL QUE HABITO - Alberto Iglesias
    SUPER 8 - Michael Giacchino
    THE TREE OF LIFE - Alexandre Desplat
    LA FILLE DU PUISATIER - Alexandre Desplat
    EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE - Alexandre Desplat
    UN GIORNO DELLA VITA - Paolo Vivaldi
    THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN - John Williams
    WAR HORSE - John Williams
    KUNG FU PANDA 2 - John Powell, Hans Zimmer
    JANE EYRE - Dario Marianelli
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll have to think a bit about best scores, but my list of Top 20 FILMS of 2011 can be found here:

http://montages.no/2011/12/thor-joachims-topp-20-2011/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Wow, you have a cool name Thor :D

And I loved Hanna too!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. The Iron Lady - Thomas Newman. No other score came close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012 edited
    Super 8
    Tintin
    War Horse
    M:I4 - Ghost Protocol

Have only heard part of Shore's "Hugo", but what I heard, sounded great. smile

Elfman's "Iris" and Two Steps from Hell's "Archangel" are also on my list, although technically not film scores.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    Super 8
    Tin Tin
    Source Code
    Skyrim

Really haven't listened to that much new stuff this year, although I have discovered some old gems for the first time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012
    BobdH wrote
    The "what tracks have I played most" option in iTunes is fun indeed (and quite revealing!). However, it does not keep track WHEN you listened to these tracks. You can circumvent this though: it does have a field with the year of release. So include this field, make a selection of most listened tracks with year of release in 2011, and you know what tracks you listened to most of scores from this year!

Of course! That should be fun for people who buy many new releases.

For me it doesn't work, because I often don't listen to the newest releases... my film music listening has been very slow and I have been (re)discovering older stuff as well...

My laptop was re-installed a while back. I don't remember exactly when unfortunately, I'd guess one to two years back, but I may be wrong (thinking about it, it is only one and a half years old)? So it gives an idea of the most played tracks. I was very surprised by the list:

174 x Baba Yetu Christopher Tin (Calling All Dawns)
    110 x Blood Color (Red Cliff)

Then the next score in line is
    70 x Secret Revealed (The Touch)

And then Inception
    64 x Time (Inception)

I would have guessed that The Dream is Collapsing and the score to Tron would have ended much higher... Also, Woad to Ruin and All of Them (King Arthur) should belong to my most played tracks ever!!

Prince of Persia and Sanctum is going up really fast since this week. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012 edited
    Haha, it's fun, isn't it? I was also shocked by the amount of times I've listened to my most played tracks. Can you imagine you've already listened to the Baba Yetu track 174 times since you fist heard it?!

In any case, it reminded me about opening a topic on this... I think it can be fun to post a top 10 of those most played tracks. Usually this reveals all your secret guilty pleasures (which I listen more often to then the ones I label as genius, in fear of overkilling them). Will open a thread when I return home!
  4. I actually think it's been a fairly solid year for scores. More than a few times I've found myself watching a film and thought - 'interesting choice'.

Jane Eyre (Marianelli) -- dud film really, but the score is great
    Tree of Life (Desplat / classical / Townsend) -- whether it's Desplat album, or the blend of music used in the film, it's a great listen
    The Ides of March / A Better Life (Desplat) -- both impeccable film scores, but as albums they're here mostly for their main themes, both strongly compilation worthy
    La Fille du Puisatier (Desplat) -- he hits it out of the park, strongly, in a short score. The source track is great too, although does the album really need 5 versions of it?
    The best tracks of The War Horse (Williams) -- really it's that main drama theme that does it for me. The celtic stuff I could throw under a bus, pretty though it is.
    Hanna (Chemical Brothers) -- more as a film score than as an album -- 'the devil is in the details', indeed
    Contagion (Martinez) -- I heard but didn't see Drive, and I saw but didn't hear Contagion, and the latter ended up making more of an impressive main theme. A theme that sounds like something just went viral.
    Three from Iglesias. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy will get the most exposure, and has a strong theme; Even the Rain is the most like my favourite of his, Dancer Upstairs; and The Skin I live in has the most heart and will get the most play from me, and includes two of my favourite source music discoveries in a film this year, 'Between the bars' and 'shades of marble'.
    As far as action film scores go, Michael Giacchino felt a lot less loud and anonymous in Mi4 than he did in Mi3. Desplat's Largo Winch 2 not bad either.
    I spent a while with two rachel portman scores early in the year -- Never let me go is the more resounding of the two, although the film was a bit overscored.
    Johnny Greenwood's Norwegian Wood is something I mean to check up on, even if it was a bit sterile in the film.
    No music did I hum more than Tchaikovsky's contributions to Black Swan.
    WE (Abel Korzeniowski) -- I get to the point now where I hear temp tracks everywhere, and they're all over this one, but like Debney's LAIR, it's too enjoyable to care.

By some measure, my favourite was EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE.

I haven't heard a few. Tintin, Iron Lady, Gordon's Crawl, The Artist ...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012
    Haven't yet heard WAR HORSE and GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO, which are likely contenders for top spots, but these are my favourites of the year (sorry about the lack of caps):

chris bacon - source code
    marco beltrami - soul surfer
    chemical brothers - hanna
    alexander desplat et.al. - the tree of life
    danny elfman - iris, real steel, restless
    dario marianelli - jane eyre
    cliff martinez - drive, contagion
    john williams - tintin
    christopher young - priest
    hans zimmer - rango
    thomas newman - the adjustment bureau
    abel korzeniowski - w.e.

Of the reissues, these are favs:

michel colombier - the golden child
    danny elfman - scrooged
    jerry goldsmith - gremlins
    james horner - 48 hours
    gottfried huppertz - metropolis
    ennio morricone - days of heaven
    hans zimmer - thelma and louise
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    I want to add to my list The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim by Jeremy Soule. The choral work in this score is outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited
    Thor does Elfman ever release anything you actually do NOT like? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm more surprised since quite a few of Thor's choices have devil chronological devil tracks... and Thor doesn't like 99% of film ordered albums! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I'm more surprised since quite a few of Thor's choices have devil chronological devil tracks... and Thor doesn't like 99% of film ordered albums! shocked

Well, what choice do I have? At the very least, I can't fault the score or the composer for having a crappy album production ideology driving them. That only goes for the 'old' reissues above, though. Most of the new ones thankfully have some sort of album logic to them.

The list is also a combination of scores-as-I-enjoy-them-on-album and scores-as-I-enjoy-them-in-film. Sometimes I like both, sometimes more one than the other.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor does Elfman ever release anything you actually do NOT like? wink

Oh yes, but he's really on a roll these days (and has been since Serenada Schiozphrana). The three scores mentioned above are all superb for their own different reasons, and way up there even when compared to others.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. If there's a Score Fairy out there, I hope this Score Fairy makes sure the next and all future new Elfman film score CD's are the complete scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    If there's a Score Fairy out there, I hope this Score Fairy makes sure the next and all future new Elfman film score CD's are the complete scores.

Wouldn't really be a problem for me, as I already have excellent A&A soundtracks of them all. As long as it could be balanced with some previously unreleased scores. Stuff like SUMMER SCHOOL, HOT TO TROT etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I mean new films.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    I mean new films.

Oh. Well, then SCREW YOU!! wink
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Too busy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Added The iron Lady by Thomas Newman, a gentle and emotional score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
    Took a year of listening to great music and 11 hours to put this together:

15 full movie / score reviews with composer bios, movie trailers and sound clips from the 15 top 2011 scores. For Scoremagacine.com and Ifmca.

Enjoy and please feel free to comment, also tell me which are your favorites!

http://www.demetrischristodoulides.com/ … t-of-2011/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Good read, Demetris! And let me piggy back on that if you don't mind.

Just in case anyone missed it I presented an almost 2 hour show dedicated to just the very best single CUES of the year!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1770

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great work from you too i wholly enjoyed it the other day! Thanks Erik beer