• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011
    Hmm it has a wonderful main theme upon which it invests during the whole score, and quite ably so with musicianship i'd say but if you don't like jazz and sax then i don't see any possible way of you liking this my friend smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Does Rum Diaries have interesting themes or is it just meandering saxophone wailing? I really don't like jazz and saxophones so I'm scared of trying this...

Jazz = sax? shocked

Dude... slant You've had very little exposure to jazz, have you?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hmm it has a wonderful main theme upon which it invests during the whole score, and quite ably so with musicianship i'd say but if you don't like jazz and sax then i don't see any possible way of you liking this my friend smile

What? Wait! Are you saying this score IS meandering sax wailing?!? shocked
    God, I hate that as well. I was hoping for a proper jazz score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, not at all. But there is a lot of sax and a proper jazz band, it's great and very thematic. But if you don't like sax I think there's a lot of this in here. In no way "sax wailing" though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, not at all. But there is a lot of sax and a proper jazz band, it's great and very thematic. But if you don't like sax I think there's a lot of this in here. In no way "sax wailing" though.

Excellent! Thanks, D.!
    I remain steadfastily in the Must Buy camp then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Listen to clips first to be sure smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Backpedalling already? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well we can't all have the same tastes can we ? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zClEZhyjcM

Good mix of styles. Quite a bit of saxophone, indeed, but no meandering. Scribe! Have a listen to this! let us know what you think!

Plenty of piano, brass, guitar and rhythm.

Yeah. I'll be getting this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Does Rum Diaries have interesting themes or is it just meandering saxophone wailing? I really don't like jazz and saxophones so I'm scared of trying this...

Jazz = sax? shocked

Dude... slant You've had very little exposure to jazz, have you?

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zClEZhyjcM

Good mix of styles. Quite a bit of saxophone, indeed. But plenty of piano, brass, guitar and rhythm.
    Yeah. I'll be getting this.

Mmmmmmm! Smoooooooooooth!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Not bad. Some parts are not my thing but others sounds quite nice. I might get it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Not bad. Some parts are not my thing but others sounds quite nice. I might get it.

Beautiful to see that you're keeping an open mind, Scribe. smile
    Clearly you're not as jaded and stuck in your ways as some on the board... (i.e. me shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hey, I'm still trying to figure out Total Recall, approximately 4 years after buying it. And I've even managed to like my most disappointing purchase ever, Horner's Thunderheart!

And no, I haven't heard much jazz music at all. Somehow it got associated in my mind at an early age with creepy urban crime scenes and then I always avoided it since.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    Goodmorning everyone, updated with the following excellent scores:

FEDERICO JUSID's HISPANIA
    WILL, composed by Nigel Clarke and Michael Csányi-Wills
    Abel Korzeniowski' W.E.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've only heard of Korzeniowski, none of the films or soundtracks I have ever heard of before.
    How are these?
    What are they like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Ni no Kuni - Joe Hisaishi
    A Cloud on the Slope 3 - Joe Hisaishi
    Jane Eyre - Dario Marianelli
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski
    Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard
    Go Hime Tachi No Sengoku - Ryo Yoshimata
    Snow Flower And The Secret Fan - Rachel Portman
    The Great Miracle / El Gran Milagro - Mark McKenzie
    Fullmetal Alchemist The Sacred Star of Milos - Taro Iwashiro
    La Source des Femmes - Armand Amar
    Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2 - Alexandre Desplat

The list is not final but is pretty close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011
    Your Highness Steve Jablonsky

Transformers 3 Steve Jablonsky

And I'm not kidding.

What a bad year for film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It certainly is if you're basing it on those scores! (Although the opening title music in Your Highness is quite fun.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What comes to mind for me is Super 8, Tin Tin, Skyrim and Source Code.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it's a fabulous year for film music (however you define it) and look forward to an annual round-up, come New Year's.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I'll post my favorites at some point (maybe after I've heard a few more), but my favorites so far include THE GREAT MIRACLE / EL GRAN MILAGRO and KUNG FU PANDA 2. There's a likely duo, huh? Powell had a good year (haven't heard Happy Feet 2 yet, but all his other output was quite good), and Williams was back this year (twice!), and there were lots of highlights from other scores, too (SANCTUM, JANE EYRE, LA LIGNE DROITE, SOURCE CODE, PRIEST, SOUL SURFER, SUPER 8, PUSS IN BOOTS, DREAM HOUSE (seriously good stuff here), THE HELP, W.E. (thanks to Cristian for posting that link)). I haven't yet heard several scores that sound very promising: Burwell's new Twilight Score (suprise!! Read Broxton's review), HUGO, and a couple others that are yet to come out like BLACK GOLD and THE IRON LADY.

Thor got it right - It's been a really good year for film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not to sure as far as my own taste and preferences are concerned.
    I'm really ambivalent about this year, but then again it's been an incredible stressful and emotional year for me, which colours a lot of my impressions.

Should be interesting to put my list(s) on here and revisit them in a year's time to see whether my preference change in a year's time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011 edited
    Added The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim by JEREMY SOULE. Epic in all its meaning. Also: Lord of the Rings: war of the North by Inon Zur, Assasins Creed: revelations by Lorne Balfe and Jesper Kyd.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011 edited
    I name some of the great cues I have heard from 2011 scores so far instead:

- "Homecoming" from War Horse, by John Williams

- "Rosie" from Water For Elephants by James Newton Howard

- "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" from The Adventures of Tintin, by John Williams

- "First Class" from X-Men: First Class by Henry Jackman

- "The Perfect Crew" from Fast Five, by Brian Tyler

- "We Are The Champions" from Happy Feet Two, arranged by John Powell

- "We Are Going To Fly Now" from Green Lantern, by James Newton Howard

- "The Return of the Eagle" from The Eagle, by Atli Orvarsson

- "Super 8 Suite" by Michael Giacchino

- "Unrecorded Chronicles" from Valkyria Chronicles 3, by Hitoshi Sakimoto

- "Waterdrops" from Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi by Joe Hisaishi

- "Dragon Force" from Fairy Tail: Volume 3, by Yasuharu Takanashi

- "It's Going to be Special" from Astarotte no Omocha!, by TWINPOWER
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011 edited
    I haven't gotten many soundtracks from 2011 - maybe a half-dozen.
    The interesting development (for me anyway) occuring during this latter half of 2011 that I've noticed is a return towards soloistic writing for acoustical instruments with less reliance on electronics.

I'm only referring to a few that have intrigued me enough to buy them, such as "The Presence" by Conrad Pope and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" by Alberto Iglesias, so I don't think this is large enough to be labeled a 'trend' or not.

If you love solo bassoon and harp, then Pope's "The Presence" is an album for you!

Iglesias manages to combine aspects of minimalism (the type of soundtrack minimalism by the likes of Michael Nyman or some of Alexander Desplat's scores) and merge them with the sort of lonely nocturnal jazz
    which I'd never expected to surface in film scores of the 21st century.

Iglesias may very well be my favorite composer for 2011 because I love his dark score for "Le Moine" the most of the new soundtracks from 2011.

Another good 2011 soundtrack (for me) is "Dream House" by John Debney. Debney has never been a favorite of mine. Even though his "Dream House" is in a more typical Hollywood score mode, it's a very fine effort, I say.

Other purchases of mine for 2011 titles include Newton Howard's "The Tourist" and "The Thing" by Beltrami.

[to tell the truth, though, my favorite albums released during 2011 are actually vintage soundtracks (many of them monaural) from around 1951 up through about 1972. cheesy ]
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    A shame, there's a lot of other great titles from 2011 to catch up with (Although what you mention is good enough, but if you like organic film scores, check out Abel Korzeniowski's WE score asap wink ).

Also added the exceptionally colorful HENRY JACKMAN'S and RODRIGO Y GABRIELLA - Puss in Boots
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
    Latest addition: Extremely Loud and incredibly close by Alexandre Desplat
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Latest addition: Extremely Loud and incredibly close by Alexandre Desplat

Is it good D?