• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011
    NP: The Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

Watching the trailer for The Hobbit this morning really took me back to the the glory of Shore's LOTR work. I am loving every moment of this score and feel like I will listen to the entire LOTR colection today!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Enter Laughing/Quincy Jones. This is the second part of the Synanon release.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. There is no definitive list, especially if you consider rare announced labels like Counterpoint or what ever the name is of that French one that sometimes releases Delerue re-recordings.

The La La Land Records wikipedia page is comprehensive. There's a sticky post at JWFan.com with plenty of titles and their release dates.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA 25TH ANNIVERSARY SYMPHONY - KOJI KONDO

I knew this would be good, but I'm stunned it turned out to be GODDAMNED BRILLIANT !!!! Only 40 minutes in length this compilation features exemplary arrangements of great and famous (in the video game world) melodies which originate from a purely synthesized template. The oringal melodies are very simple, but lovely and memorable. But hearing the various tunes come alive by the sheer might of orchestra and choir, it clearly shows that any kind of music can be performed by orchestra and sound great if it's handled the right way. The music is very thematic, rousing and will no doubt leave a lasting impression on every lover of symphonic works, even if you're not familiar at all with the games and their musical loveliness.

CHECK IT OUT! YOU'LL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Where can I find a list of all 2011's releases?

bump
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    NP : SWORD AND SORCERY : THE ADVENTURES OF CONAN - Basil Poledouris

punk

punk punk

My, what a fine set this turns out to be, and it was completely unexpected and off my radar until I heard that main title performed by the Prague Philharmonic. A real nice surprise Conan the Destroyer is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SWORD AND SORCERY : THE ADVENTURES OF CONAN - Basil Poledouris

punk

punk punk

My, what a fine set this turns out to be, and it was completely unexpected and off my radar until I heard that main title performed by the Prague Philharmonic. A real nice surprise Conan the Destroyer is.

punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: L'Odyssée De L'Espèce - Yvan Cassar

Strongly influenced by World Music, this is a beautiful album, with wonderful, soothing and quite moving themes.
    It's a slightly melancholic listen, which I like, but all the more enjoyable for it.
    This is just a lovely, lovely album, which really makes me want to go seek out and see the documentary too (apparently it's on the birth and development of the very first humans on the planet).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE COLOR PURPLE (Quincy Jones)

Love the score proper, but some of the folksy, bluesy stuff tends to grate a bit after a while.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: New Moon (Complete Score) - Desplat

It has a better flow that the commerical CD, the themes have a better presence. It's funny that Desplat took seriously the "relationship" of Bella and Edward, giving a beautiful main theme. Same with the theme for Jacob, and the Volturi theme.

Some of the action cues has the same synth chorus from the DH1 demos. And the synth pulse is from the Sonivox Sampla.
  5. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: New Moon (Complete Score) - Desplat

It has a better flow that the commerical CD, the themes have a better presence. It's funny that Desplat took seriously the "relationship" of Bella and Edward, giving a beautiful main theme. Same with the theme for Jacob, and the Volturi theme.

Some of the action cues has the same synth chorus from the DH1 demos. And the synth pulse is from the Sonivox Sampla.

Where can I find this "complete" score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tintin John Williams

I'm still riding the high of this score. I'm starting to believe it's more than just novelty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011 edited
    yonythemoony wrote

It's funny that Desplat took seriously the "relationship" of Bella and Edward, giving a beautiful main theme. Same with the theme for Jacob, and the Volturi theme.

Having been given the odd student-made film to score (all of which I've given up on in exasperation*), I can assure you it's not hard to take even the most shallow written characters seriously. A composer's job is to make the film look good, no matter how bad it is!

*Due to my own limitations, not that of the film/s
  6. Steven wrote
    Tintin John Williams

I'm still riding the high of this score. I'm starting to believe it's more than just novelty.

It's been two weeks since my last listen. The novelty's starting to wear off for me... sad

Hell no! I just haven't found the time to listen again. smile
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Where can I find this "complete" score?

On the web.
  8. Steven wrote
    Tintin John Williams

I'm honoured to be the source of the quote there. shame
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fateless - Ennio Morricone

In a word - extremely good. Very moving, powerful stuff and the best use of Lisa Gerrard's voice in a film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011
    Canone Inverso - Ennio Morricone

I've run out of superlatives when it comes to Morricone. This ranks up there with any music written for film in the 21st century, but hardly anyone's even heard of it.
  9. I proudly declare my membership in the ranks of 'hardly anyone' in this case.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Canone Inverso - Ennio Morricone

I've run out of superlatives when it comes to Morricone. This ranks up there with any music written for film in the 21st century, but hardly anyone's even heard of it.

I'm there with you and Michael, superb score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Fateless - Ennio Morricone

In a word - extremely good. Very moving, powerful stuff and the best use of Lisa Gerrard's voice in a film score.

The man is an almost impossible act to follow when it comes to using vocalists.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Tintin John Williams

I'm fed up with it now, but I listened to it for probably a month non stop in my car to and from work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN CHILD - John Barry

One of the years best ( and most surprising ) releases.
  10. I like Barry's take on it much better than Colombier's. But I have to admit such a score would never have worked with the visuals / story / acting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    I like Barry's take on it much better than Colombier's. But I have to admit such a score would never have worked with the visuals / story / acting.

With the film I've seen, yes, I agree with you but the film we've seen is apparantly not the cut that Barry scored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    2011 silva compilation
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (John Williams)

Through the wonderful, original LP presentation, and then I have to see how long I last in the C&C version which follows immediately after.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a Command & Conquer version!? That sounds awesome! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (John Williams)

Through the wonderful, original LP presentation, and then I have to see how long I last in the C&C version which follows immediately after.

You can do it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SCORE - Howard Shore

excellent jazzy score!