• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    The Iron Lady - Thomas Newman

Wonderful music. The Help is good too, but I think this is the strongest album to come from him in quite some time.

Good news! I'm looking forward to it very much. I enjoyed THE HELP quite a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought that Erik had mentioned it already!

I did... but I think that was over at the IFMCA and Facebook!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: La Clé Des Champs - Bruno Coulais

Wonderful!
  3. Southall wrote
    The Iron Lady - Thomas Newman

Wonderful music. The Help is good too, but I think this is the strongest album to come from him in quite some time.

I can't stand waiting. Newman is on fire lately, no?
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought that Erik had mentioned it already!

I did... but I think that was over at the IFMCA and Facebook!

-Erik-

From now on let it be known you will only post on the mother of all forums... cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. CONAN THE BARBARIAN - RE-RECORDING

Impressively awesome, monumentally fantastic, stupendously magnificent !!!!! punk

I doubt I'll ever listen to the inferior sounding Varese album again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    Hugo - Howard Shore

This might just be my favourite score of the year. Outstanding stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP:
    Southall wrote
    Hugo - Howard Shore

This might just be my favourite score of the year. Outstanding stuff.

Hmm....the score didn't do much for me, I'm afraid, even though it had some nice details.

But I haven't seen the film yet. I have no doubt it works wonders there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The album's overlong, for sure - not for the first time I feel Shore just keeps restating themes rather than trying to develop them - but I still find it a very nice one to listen through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (Danny Elfman)

One of my alltime favourites, but I have to portion out the listenings carefully these days, so as not to over-expose it (it was one of the scores I analyzed in my thesis). Perfect for the season.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    I have to portion out the listenings carefully these days, so as not to over-expose it

I do this with my favourite scores too. My favourite favourite scores. Scores that I will only listen to if I know I'll have time to listen to them all the way through with my undivided attention. It makes a world of difference to the way you "experience" music when all you do is sit there and listen. Most other times I'll often have music on in the background and realise I've got to the end of the album without paying much attention!?

But then I get so used to not playing them, I sometimes forget that I should listen to them. My 'lesser' scores probably get far more listens than my favourites. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OBSESSION - Bernard Herrmann

I've just set up my turntable to play this. A magnificent score that has long been a fan "grail", would be a very decent seller if and when it get's a CD release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Willow - James Horner

First listen. Wow. What an amazing gem of a score!
  6. I just saw the film Shame, which was splendid, but the composer of that film, Harry Escott, clearly lifted Hans Zimmer's piece "Journey to the Line" from The Thin Red Line. It works in Shame, but it's still a blatant rip-off.
  7. (Well, 'Journey to the Line' has a heritage too... wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. I know that composers "borrow" from each other very often, some even from themselves (Horner fan here), but gee whiz...
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    (Well, 'Journey to the Line' has a heritage too... wink )

What is the heritage of Journey to the Line? I mean I know how and why it was written the way we know it. (It's a funny little story actually), but I don't know what's the basic model for it.

I do notice quite a few references to Days of Heaven in Zimmer's score, but possibly either completely accidental or completely subconscious.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    (Well, 'Journey to the Line' has a heritage too... wink )

Heritage -- is that what they call it these days? wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    The homecoming track on War Horse is one of the better efforts from John Williams.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  11. 'Journey to the Line' is usually spoken of as derived from Wagner, from memory. What and where in Wagner, I'm not sure, but the piece certainly has that feel before the Ivesian section kicks in. Sort of a pop wagner.

Actually speaking of references, you can hear a hint of Part's 'Cantus in memory of benjamin britten' in one of the EXTREMELY LOUD tracks. Certainly it's a more veiled attempt at the piece than Chris Young's version in CREATION.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  12. The final unused part of Journey to the Line (as presented on album and later "reappropriated" in The Last Samurai) definitely derives from Lohengrin's Prelude, Hans actually admitted to that reference (which is hard to discuss with him).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011 edited
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

christmas_tree love christmas_tree christmas_biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. That's an interesting Christmas choice christmas_biggrin
  14. I wish I was in the company of someone who actually likes film music!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    That's an interesting Christmas choice christmas_biggrin

The film takes place at christmas, some of the music is very christmassy and besides, it's my little tradition to play it every christmas day cool
  15. The kids are playing their new Wii game, LEGO STAR WARS III, so I am hearing a variety of themes from John Williams' universe!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The kids are playing their new Wii game, LEGO STAR WARS III, so I am hearing a variety of themes from John Williams' universe!

Not totally film music less then Alan wink

You and yours have a great day beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

christmas_tree love christmas_tree christmas_biggrin

CHINON - ELEANOR'S ARRIVAL love
  16. Not really a Christmas score, but beautiful enough:

Conrad Pope - Pavilion of Women

Just exquisite.
  17. William wrote
    NP: Willow - James Horner

First listen. Wow. What an amazing gem of a score!

First listen huh? Well better late than never... shocked

Now go listen to its magnificent sister score 'The Land Before Time' if you haven't already.