• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Pearl Harbor

A very pretty score, if meaningless. It works very bad in the film, but I don't blame Hans, who had a lot of issues with the movie and problems he couldn't solve. For something made so hastily and against his own instinct, he ended up with a very pretty work.

One that deserves a better cd treatment.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Not sure, it has some really badly orchestrated action music (courtesy of Klaus Badelt and Geoff Zanelli mostly, Jablonsky did some work on the score too).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pearl Harbor was the worst thing to happen to America since Pearl Harbor.

The score is quite pretty though, at least Zimmer's music.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited
    Star Wars Anthology

I finally picked up this set, and it's an absolute stunner. Empire sounds so much better than on the complete score. Haven't got to Jedi yet but hope it's the same case here as the complete sounds so muffled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    IDES OF MARCH | alexandre desplat

I don't know what the title means now that I think of it.

Interesting score though, the main theme (that patriotic marching music and flutes) is kind of catchy and quirky. It takes the lead through most of the score, and at the end there is a cool variation with trumpets and much more percussion, almost like a rock song. Most of the score is rather low key with a brooding atmosphere. Desplat's trademark low electronic drones/tones (?) in combination with timpani returns! Has anyone seen the film?

W.E. | abel korzeniowski

I don't know what the title means now that I think of it.

Lovely music, but not as 'rewarding' and emotional as A Single Man. Some hints to that score too; the last track starts very similar and somewhere in the middle a version of Clocks. Overall it feels a bit lighter then ASM, but I love it, very pleasant to listen to. The build-ups with the orchestra, of which some of us heard a live performance in Ghent, certainly are the highlights of the score. Accordion and electric guitars join the mostly string and piano based score.

Does anyone dare to see the film? I read the music was not very well spotted.
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt, Ides of March (either 9th or 13th day of the month) was the day on which Julius Caesar was murdered.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    More communally known is the expression 'beware the Ides of March', which is a paraphrasing from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, where a soothsayer tries to warn Caesar of bad omens, and urges him to take specific care on that day: "beware, Caesar, the Ides of March". Caesar does obviously not heed the warning.

The expression since has become somewhat of a general ominous warning of a specifically dangerous and dark time ahead.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    cheesy

Cheers guys.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Anthony wrote
    Star Wars Anthology

I finally picked up this set, and it's an absolute stunner. Empire sounds so much better than on the complete score. Haven't got to Jedi yet but hope it's the same case here as the complete sounds so muffled.

Hot damn, Jedi sounds amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not sure, it has some really badly orchestrated action music (courtesy of Klaus Badelt and Geoff Zanelli mostly, Jablonsky did some work on the score too).

Who didn't work on the score anyway? tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. yonythemoony wrote
    Deep Impact - James Horner.

My favorite Horner score. I wish that volume we're better, in the film was much more louder than in the CD.

I wish it had more action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I Magi Randagi - Morricone

Christmas cheer from Ennio (including one really magical theme and some slightly quirky choral music).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Star Wars Anthology

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Anthony wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Star Wars Anthology

I gifted this to my bro, but he still hasn't listened to both Empire and Jedi. And that was two (or maybe it was three) years ago.

To he (yeah you dude) who ignores some of the most incredible film score presentations of all time for so long: you better start listening fast or give it back, as I will make better use of this, guaranteed! crazy

But I do very much enjoy listening to the complete scores too. Once a year I pop em in, and I'm in FILM MUSIC HEAVEN!!! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Deep Impact - James Horner.

My favorite Horner score. I wish that volume we're better, in the film was much more louder than in the CD.

I wish it had more action music.

Weird that Horner scored every single bit from the film, except the tidal wave scene.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Star Wars Anthology

punk

-Erik-

I don't know the Star Wars music inside out. Are the 3 disc presentations here the best, or is it worth combining the stuff on the fourth disc in with them, or even with stuff from the complete scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Star Wars Anthology

punk

-Erik-

I don't know the Star Wars music inside out. Are the 3 disc presentations here the best, or is it worth combining the stuff on the fourth disc in with them, or even with stuff from the complete scores?

Thor will say otherwise... :C3POvoice: how typical :C3POvoice:... but yes, combine the elements of the fourth disc with the other three discs... especially all the great Empire cues that are on the fourth disc. The only cue from the special editions I would bring over to the Arista box is "Jedi Master Revealed/Mynock Cave" which was actually on the original double LP release of the Empire score back in 1980. Why it wasn't included on the Arista box is baffling!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I agree with Erik wholeheartedly.
    It's exactly what I did, and of all the presentations I own (and sadly that's quite a few slant), that one -the three Fox Box CDs with the fourth CD cues mixed in chronologically- is the finest one I have ever heard.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Man, Prince of Persia is good! Just had Raid on Alamut on repeat. The theme in the end is great!

Yoohoo! tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

Thor will say otherwise... :C3POvoice: how typical :C3POvoice:... but yes, combine the elements of the fourth disc with the other three discs... especially all the great Empire cues that are on the fourth disc. The only cue from the special editions I would bring over to the Arista box is "Jedi Master Revealed/Mynock Cave" which was actually on the original double LP release of the Empire score back in 1980. Why it wasn't included on the Arista box is baffling!

-Erik-

Is there a chronological list somewhere? Or should I be able to work it out based on the liner notes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fat Man and Little Boy - Morricone

I must admit I'm struggling to see why everyone went gaga over this one (and people who would usually not mention Morricone, too). Is it because it's an American film and the CD's come out on an American label? I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's nothing that special either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Is there a chronological list somewhere? Or should I be able to work it out based on the liner notes?

Here's the order

EMPIRE

JEDI

Star Wars is much more difficult to organize because the Star Wars album on Disc 1 is the original LP presentation (which is magnificent) with numerous tracks featuring unrelated cues edited together. So leave the Star Wars extras on Disc 4 or add them to the end of the Star Wars album as extras.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'ANTARTICA' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

AWESOME! This version is, IMO, the best, the Halle orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli, the only reason I don't play this version more is that the recording is from 1954 and yet despite that it still sounds remarkably good, it's such a stunning version that I insist you give it a listen ( if like me you're a fan of this work ), such a shame that none of the modern recordings come close to this magnificence.

EDIT : This was taken from my post at NP Off Topic...

1. Because the symphony was developed from his film score to SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC so can happily sit here at this thread too.

and...

2. Because I wanted to ask Alan if he'd listened to the symphony version of the film score as yet?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. How long is Empire in that playlist Erik? For Jedi it's shown at the bottom (1 hr 40 mins) which comes pretty close to the 2-disc I have.

Thanks for posting these, I want to give that a listen and see if it will top the experience of the complete score presentations. If the sound is really that better it should. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I have the Chandos recording and the Vernon Handley recording of the symphony, both excellent to my ears... but then I've not heard any other recordings, especially not a 1954 one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have the Chandos recording and the Vernon Handley recording of the symphony, both excellent to my ears... but then I've not heard any other recordings, especially not a 1954 one!

That'll be the Bryden Thomson version on Chandos, that and Handley's version are very good. I'm a bit more reluctant to recommend a 1954 recording to you in particular Steven though I have to say, to my ears at least, it sounds better than any film score recordings I've heard from around a similar time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    How long is Empire in that playlist Erik? For Jedi it's shown at the bottom (1 hr 40 mins) which comes pretty close to the 2-disc I have.

Empire is 1:46:06

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

I have the Rumon Gamba performance of the film score with the BBC Philharmonic which I think is spectacular. I also have the Adrian Boult / London Philharmonic Orchestra version of the symphony.

While I do like the music very much it's not something that I know by heart like Star Wars or Indiana Jones. What are the major differences between the film score and the symphony and why is that the 1954 version the best to your ears?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have the Rumon Gamba performance of the film score with the BBC Philharmonic which I think is spectacular. I also have the Adrian Boult / London Philharmonic Orchestra version of the symphony.

While I do like the music very much it's not something that I know by heart like Star Wars or Indiana Jones. What are the major differences between the film score and the symphony and why is that the 1954 version the best to your ears?

-Erik-

Gamba's performance is superb and is the only version of the complete score, there are a lot of differences between score and symphony, the score has an up-beat ending, probably so the audience doesn't feel depressed by such a bleak ending, something the symphony doesn't veer from.

In the score, none of the tracks such as Doom, Sculptute Scene, Ship's Departure, Ice Floes, Aurora, The Return appear anywhere in the symphony, the main departure in the symphony is in the 3rd movement 'Landscape' with the awesome passage for orchestra and Organ. There are other moments but they escape me right now.

As for the 1954 recording it's the pace I like so much, that and a clarity in the instrumentation that seems even clearer than I've heard on some modern recordings, Barbirolli brings out the huge scope of the bleak and vast landscapes and the ultimate tragedy of Scott's endeavor with his timing and pace. I can't explain it much better than that and obviously it's a personal thing.
  7. NP: Titan A.E. - Graeme Revell

I never cared for Revell's scores (Except the choral cues of Red Planet), but this one is great.