• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    The opening cue is spectacular! I hate the use of songs in the movie though.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Southall wrote
    Fat Man and Little Boy - Morricone

I must admit I'm struggling to see why everyone went gaga over this one (and people who would usually not mention Morricone, too). Is it because it's an American film and the CD's come out on an American label? I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's nothing that special either.

I didn't like this at all when I heard it. Right disappointed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FILM MUSIC - Akira Ifukube

This is a compilation on CDR that Lou Goldberg at MovieMusic.com did for me about 10 years ago, besides suites and themes from Godzilla films there's plenty more here from films I've never heard of but in the case of all selections this is superb music of the highest quality.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I had DRM issues with a whole load of old Jeremy Soule game soundtracks (including Morrowind, Prey and Eye of the North). Bought as wma files several years back off directsong.com, the ability to play these had gone with changes to computers and separation of permissions.

Contacted the sellers and just downloaded replacement DRM-free mp3 files. I can now hear them again for the first time in ages!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'ANTARTICA' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

AWESOME! This version is, IMO, the best, the Halle orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli, the only reason I don't play this version more is that the recording is from 1954 and yet despite that it still sounds remarkably good, it's such a stunning version that I insist you give it a listen ( if like me you're a fan of this work ), such a shame that none of the modern recordings come close to this magnificence.

EDIT : This was taken from my post at NP Off Topic...

1. Because the symphony was developed from his film score to SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC so can happily sit here at this thread too.

and...

2. Because I wanted to ask Alan if he'd listened to the symphony version of the film score as yet?

bump
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I do have the symphony version - a Haitink/LPO version - but it has been years since I have listened to it so can't comment on symphony vs. film score comparison. But I would listen to the film music version over the symphony most times - my listening preferences are film scores rather than " classical".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Contacted the sellers and just downloaded replacement DRM-free mp3 files. I can now hear them again for the first time in ages!

Glad it got sorted out, Alan! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Thanks Martijn for the offer of help. I dread to think how long it would have taken to upload the zip files to you.

700 kbps download speed from their site was much better!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I do have the symphony version - a Haitink/LPO version - but it has been years since I have listened to it so can't comment on symphony vs. film score comparison. But I would listen to the film music version over the symphony most times - my listening preferences are film scores rather than " classical".

Yes, I know that Alan. For some reason I was under the impression that you'd never heard the symphony version. Considering that none of the movements are that long the symphony plays just like a film score and, dare I say, comes across more like a John Williams re-record a-la his 70's-80's albums to make it a more cohesive listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Time for another favourite composer called Williams...

NP : THE FURY - John Williams

One of a few times I was glad I didn't pick up the original CD release and then got spoilt with both original and re-recording, I'm right now playing the latter. love
  5. JP: James Newton Howard - Defiance

Very good score. Unlike usually I actually played the promo/complete score that was once available on the studio's website. You could actually download the whole thing as "Mediakit"! I really like it and though I usually listen to the original release (which I own), it was nice to hear it.

And now going with the mood:

James Newton Howard - The Village

Pure beauty.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I do have the symphony version - a Haitink/LPO version - but it has been years since I have listened to it so can't comment on symphony vs. film score comparison. But I would listen to the film music version over the symphony most times - my listening preferences are film scores rather than " classical".

Yes, I know that Alan. For some reason I was under the impression that you'd never heard the symphony version. Considering that none of the movements are that long the symphony plays just like a film score and, dare I say, comes across more like a John Williams re-record a-la his 70's-80's albums to make it a more cohesive listen.

I would definitely have bought it based on discussions here. But I have not listened to it often.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    The opening cue is spectacular! I hate the use of songs in the movie though.

-Erik-

It's awesome. I like the use of electronics in the score, thought there's a sound like a guy burping.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    PawelStroinski wrote
    JP: James Newton Howard - Defiance

Very good score. Unlike usually I actually played the promo/complete score that was once available on the studio's website. You could actually download the whole thing as "Mediakit"! I really like it and though I usually listen to the original release (which I own), it was nice to hear it.

And now going with the mood:

James Newton Howard - The Village

Pure beauty.

Both outstanding scores by JNH!

I love violin!

Let's keep the mood with another winner:

NP: Snow Falling On Cedars
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The best thing that came out of JNH's SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS was my "discovery" of the wonderful music of Arvo Part.

NP : NIXON - John Williams

One of my very favourite Williams scores, I'm probably in a minority of people who think it's one of his very best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

One of my very favourite Williams scores, I'm probably in a minority of people who think it's one of his very best.

I think it's underrated as well!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And I.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. And my AXE.
    punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Your ex?!

Yes, I got the Lord of the Rings reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Perhaps not one of his very best (ET, Close Encounters, Star Wars, Schindler's List etc.), but one of his best for sure. A precursor to some of his music for Revenge Of The Sith in places. I never used to listen to it that much until recently.

Saving Private Ryan John Williams

The hymn... well, the hymn. I don't think it's an overstatement to say it's one of the finest pieces of film music ever.

The rest is excellent, but I do have to be in the mood for it (like now).
  10. Yes. The Hymn is one of the very best themes in John Williams' career. And that IS saying something.
  11. The Iron Lady - Thomas Newman

Absolutely amazing. A stunning return to form for Newman. His father would be proud. "Discord and Harmony" and "Statecraft" are particular highlights. Best score of the year, no doubt.
  12. Others would be "Denis" and "Exclusion Zone." But honestly, every track is stunning.
  13. Have been listening a number of Jeremy Soule-penned scores. I had forgotten how hit-and-miss these scores actually are: some good thematic stuff but far too much atmospheric/soundscape music in there.

And, although the strings samples are good, his brass samples sound very artificial to me - even in Guild Wars: Eye of the North. I know that people rave about how good this one sounds, but I just can't hear that. It sounds quite sampled to me.
  14. FalkirkBairn wrote

And, although the strings samples are good, his brass samples sound very artificial to me - even in Guild Wars: Eye of the North. I know that people rave about how good this one sounds, but I just can't hear that. It sounds quite sampled to me.

I can definitely agree with this. But this is the Jeremy Soule sound. For better or worse, he has created his own sound and its instantly recognisable. I don't like everything he's done either. But from a technical standpoint, Skyrim comes incredibly close to actually resembling a real live performance. The human vocals do add something that synthesized vocal samples in his other music simply cannot reproduce.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  15. TINTIN - MR. WILLIAMS

Because I still haven't heard War Horse (still waiting for the cd to arrive), I wonder if it'll be as great as Tintin. The key word here is bright orchestral fun. I keep skipping the Bianca Castafiore cue, but that's because I hate opera and it ends on a sour note, literally! smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fat Man and Little Boy - Morricone

I must admit I'm struggling to see why everyone went gaga over this one (and people who would usually not mention Morricone, too). Is it because it's an American film and the CD's come out on an American label? I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's nothing that special either.

I didn't like this at all when I heard it. Right disappointed.

I'm sorry to hear this. sad I don't have it yet.

Don't you guys like the love theme though, heard best in the end credits? It's probably my all-time favourite piece.

Anyway, to answer James, I think people went gaga over it because it was one of last unreleased Morricone scores for a big movie; because of the gorgeous love theme; because it's an FSM release; because the release was supposed to have lots of material never heard before.

I did know that it would have some harsh militaristic music, but I was hoping that this new release would have more than just the militaristic music and the love theme. Are these two elements really all the album has to offer?

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    TINTIN - MR. WILLIAMS

Because I still haven't heard War Horse (still waiting for the cd to arrive), I wonder if it'll be as great as Tintin. The key word here is bright orchestral fun. I keep skipping the Bianca Castafiore cue, but that's because I hate opera and it ends on a sour note, literally! smile

Now that I've seen the film I can enjoy the score even more! The music complements the film perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think it's underrated as well!

-Erik-

Not sure how underrated it is. Everytime someone brings it up I always see people shower it with love... though perhaps it's underrated in the sense that it's not mentioned very frequently.

I love it too, btw. One of my favourite Williamses.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Undermentioned......is that a word? wink