• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Neilbucket wrote
    NP: King Solomon's Mines - Jerry 'the almighty' Goldsmith

This is my first listen and it's a playful, theme-rich score which reminds me a great deal of The Mummy, Air Force One and some of his Star Trek TNG scores (realizing that those scores echo what I am hearing here).

One of the big action-packed and all-round fun scores of Goldsmith! Better than what the film deserved, actually, but I still remember the film with fondness, though that may be solely due to the Indiana Jones ripoff and score. A bloody marvelous score with the one constant element that is present from the opening moments until the end: balls to the walls and blood pumping rhythm. punk

This gets my vote for most rhythmic film score ever composed! smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012 edited
    SUPER ATRAGON - MASAMICHI AMANO

I love this for the fanfare-filled material and militaristic action cues. The rest has yet to impress me. But luckily this has all the power and staying power of a good old-fashioned symphonic film score.

Thank you Atham for bringing it to my attention.

By the way are you familiar with ULTRAMAN:GREAT by Sinsuke Kazato? Go and check it out, I'm thinking it will be right up your alley too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012
    NP: Little Women - Thomas Newman

Quintessential Thomas Newman right here! Marvelous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Angels in Amercia - Thomas Newman

It has been YEEEEEEEEEEEEARS since I last spun this. Boy, is that main title superb or what?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. On a Newman binge, no? Join the club.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    T'is indeed. It was Peter's post that spurred me to listen to it again. Fantastic stuff.

The Patriot John Williams

Naff recording, but a rather good score with a really good theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Boy, is that main title superb or what?

Yes. Yes it is.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

It has been YEEEEEEEEEEEEARS since I last spun this. Boy, is that main title superb or what?

-Erik-

The whole album is great!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The question is straightforward enough - to what soundtrack album am I listening at the moment?

The answer is equally simple - Tora! Tora! Tora!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I find myself drifting during the middle portions of the album! It doesn't really hold together nicely as a 60 minute listen.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I find myself drifting during the middle portions of the album! It doesn't really hold together nicely as a 60 minute listen.

-Erik-

Agreed. In fact if I only play the tracks I've given 3 or more stars in itunes, there's a mere 23 minutes. These 23 minutes are good listening though.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Yeah, you're right actually, a little trimming wouldn't harm it, some excellent tracks though. To be honest I need to give this another listen soon, it's been a few years since I last heard it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The last few cues on the album are OUTSTANDING! Newman did some of his best work in this score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012 edited
    Gladiator Hans Zimmah

I don't care what anyone says, I think 'The Battle' is a fantastic piece of film music, Gustav or no Gustav.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Robinson welcome back my friend !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmah

I don't care what anyone says, I think 'The Battle' is a fantastic piece of film music, Gustav or no Gustav.

Who doubts that? It is his best score to date and perhaps the most influential of the past decade. Pure awesomeness. In fact I think if he did write as such more often fewer would complain wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    SUPER ATRAGON - MASAMICHI AMANO

I love this for the fanfare-filled material and militaristic action cues. The rest has yet to impress me. But luckily this has all the power and staying power of a good old-fashioned symphonic film score.

Thank you Atham for bringing it to my attention.

By the way are you familiar with ULTRAMAN:GREAT by Sinsuke Kazato? Go and check it out, I'm thinking it will be right up your alley too.

ULTRAMAN:GREAT huh? I must check it out. I'm curious now! Cheers.
  3. Back to Little Women. This really is the most traditional score Newman ever wrote. It is also his most saccharine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmah

Who doubts that? It is his best score to date and perhaps the most influential of the past decade. Pure awesomeness. In fact I think if he did write as such more often fewer would complain wink

Very influential unfortunately, mostly due to it's popularity rather than Hans being original. I do like some of it, including the Holst "homage", not a bad listen on album but very disjointed in the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Back to Little Women. This really is the most traditional score Newman ever wrote. It is also his most saccharine.

Even more so than Meet Joe Black? Totally overwhelming scoring at the end of that film, cringeworthy IMO.
  4. I actually thought Meet Joe Black was some of the best work he's ever done. It features two of the best romance themes he's ever written, and he's written many great ones.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Danny Elfman's Cirque Du Soleil score IRIS. This is seriously mindblowingly great!
  5. David OC wrote
    Danny Elfman's Cirque Du Soleil score IRIS. This is seriously mindblowingly great!

Very interesting. Must check that out. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Last Run - Jerry Goldsmith

Fabulous. Great, Barry-esque main theme (and song), dynamic south-of-the-border action music. This is first-rate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: PAYCHECK - JOHN POWELL

Just the Hog Chase cues on repeat for the time being. Incredible stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolfen - James Horner

First listen. Good stuff here. Sure I've heard it in one or two places before.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

Has there ever been a BETTER superhero score than this? If your answer is 'yes' then it is a FACT that you are either a feeble minded cretin or a liar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

Has there ever been a BETTER superhero score than this? If your answer is 'yes' then it is a FACT that you are either a feeble minded cretin or a liar.

Can't one be both?

Peter dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Can't one be both?

Peter dizzy

Why not!? wink We'll lump 'moron' in for good measure.