• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012
    The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

punk
  1. Angels in America - Thomas Newman

Following the cue of several others, I gave this a going over. The title track is especially soulful, "Garden of the Soul" is breathtaking, and "Black Angel" is still the scariest track I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Sea of Japan Naval Battle - A Cloud on the Slope - Joe Hisaishi

Orchestral joy!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Angels in America - Thomas Newman

Following the cue of several others, I gave this a going over. The title track is especially soulful, "Garden of the Soul" is breathtaking, and "Black Angel" is still the scariest track I've ever heard.

I really must remember to play this again, problem being I'm just not in a Thomas Newman mood right now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Stavroula wrote
    NP:Castlevania~Lords Of Shadow- Oscar Araujo

As I've said before : W O W ! Grand, heroic, dark! Fantastic!

Yes !

YES !!

YESSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!

The 66 minute version or the complete score (only available as a gamerip)?

I can recommend the complete score, much more WOW !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012 edited
    Unfortunately the 66 minute version. I would so much like to have the complete score!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. Stavroula wrote
    Unfortunately the 66 minute version. I would so much like to have the complete score!

come on bro, help a lady out in distress wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Angels in America - Thomas Newman

I really must remember to play this again, problem being I'm just not in a Thomas Newman mood right now.

What kind of mood is that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A mood that says I want something much more meaty like THE WIND AND THE LION by Jerry Goldsmith which has just finished playing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Paradiso - Ennio Morricone / Hayley Westenra

The arrangements are beautiful, Westenra's voice is beautiful... but my god, the lyrics are diabolical. I wish none of them were in English, so I couldn't understand just how bad they are. ("I knew I loved you before I met you" - really, Alan and Marilyn Bergman?)
  5. Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard - Gladiator

cool
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Southall wrote

The arrangements are beautiful, Westenra's voice is beautiful... but my god, the lyrics are diabolical. I wish none of them were in English, so I couldn't understand just how bad they are. ("I knew I loved you before I met you" - really, Alan and Marilyn Bergman?)

I feared it would be so. Morricone's sign off on English lyrics isn't worth much.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

I must admit I haven't noticed the lyrics. I somehow never absorb words when there is singing, so I never have any idea what they are singing about. Lyrics are infamous for being vomit-inducing in these kinds of classical crossover songs, so I guess I'm lucky.

The one you mention has the lyrics originally written for Celine Dion for the "We all love Morricone" album. <-tidbit

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    The one you mention has the lyrics originally written for Celine Dion for the "We all love Morricone" album. <-tidbit

Peter smile

Indeed. Westenra's version is infinitely superior!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Robin Hood (Streitenfeld)

Finally finished listening to it. I don't care that people criticize it for being simplistic and amateurish; I find it rather enjoyable. Tracks 1, 3, 6, 9, 11, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 make an excellent half hour album. The rest of the tracks I can live without though.

My rating: ****

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

For someone who's not exactly a fan of Celine Dion's voice, I can only agree.

Peter smile
  7. "Maxie"
    By: Deorges Delerue
    Intrada (SOLD OUT)

Excellent little score that I've commented once before on in an old Now Playing thread.
    The presentation is odd. I recall Roger saying he wanted, on this one, to make a special presentation, and move some of the shorter cues to the end as bonus music. But it doesn't work, to me. The rinky-dink piano pieces completely out of mood of the regular under score, interrupt the flow and don't add to the listening experience (which why, generally, I prefer such music to be at the end of the album).
    Instead there are some wonderful, but short score cues in the Bonus section which, if arranged properly and maybe even suited where it works, could have been inserted (out of film order) into the presentation, and made it stronger and better.

Intrada has been kind to Delerue and some of his scores, so I can only hope for more in the future. I have a great pairing: Delerue's complete score to "Steel Magnolias"; film version, and album version, along with Shire's unfinished rejected score, would git on one CD -- that would make a heck of a CD. Assuming Shire did as short an amount of Delerue did.

No score-only sampels uploaded to YouTube, so here is the closing scene and end credits to "Maxie"
    Over four minutes of music encompassing mainly his upbeat material:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYCHeTh5TFs
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. plindboe wrote

Finally finished listening to it. I don't care that people criticize it for being simplistic and amateurish; I find it rather enjoyable. Tracks 1, 3, 6, 9, 11, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 make an excellent half hour album. The rest of the tracks I can live without though.

Peter smile

Actually I quite enjoyed that one. I don't listen to enough of the RC stuff to know whether this was terribly different from the others, but it fit the tale well to my ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I'm going to marry her one day. We haven't officially met, but that's a minor detail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Actually I quite enjoyed that one. I don't listen to enough of the RC stuff to know whether this was terribly different from the others, but it fit the tale well to my ears.

beer

It's curious to read reviews of the score, because it's disliked by every reviewer out there; all seemingly giving it 2 stars. But listening to film score fans most of them seem rather positive.

They're out of touch I tells ya.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I like this one too, and I agree with your playlist. I wouldn't quite go so far as four stars, as I tend to reserve that for really really good scores (though I tend to stay away from ratings anyway). If asked, I'd put this at around 2.5, or 3 at the very most. That's still a decent score for what is a decent score (if a little generic).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I like this one too, and I agree with your playlist. I wouldn't quite go so far as four stars, as I tend to reserve that for really really good scores (though I tend to stay away from ratings anyway). If asked, I'd put this at around 2.5, or 3 at the very most. That's still a decent score for what is a decent score (if a little generic).

I guess we have different ways to think of ratings. Here's mine:

* - crap
    *½ - meh
    ** - crap, with enjoyable moments
    **½ - Not good
    *** - Ok, but nothing great
    ***½ - Rather enjoyable, but could be better
    **** - Good, enjoyable score
    ****½ - Great score
    ***** - Classic

I'm sure the wording could be better. In any case, I think Robin Hood is a good, enjoyable score. That said, it's probably a small ****, so it did get lucky.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    With better brain scanning techniques that we surely will develop in the future, I'm sure we could record our brain while listening to a piece of music thereby turning our qualitative opinions of things into far more rigid quantifiable ones! biggrin

[HAL]"Peter gave this score a rating of 77.987%. He seems to rather enjoy it... Dave."[/HAL]
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    biggrin
  9. biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
    Why isn't this theme one of Trevor Jones' most loved themes? I never see it mentioned, even though it's sweeping Trevor Jones magic up there with the themes from Merlin and Cleopatra.

Peter love
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Squanto: A Warrior's Tale - Joel McNeely

Very classy early score from McNeely with a handful of very decent themes woven around some consistently interesting action music too.
  10. plindboe wrote
    Why isn't this theme one of Trevor Jones' most loved themes? I never see it mentioned, even though it's sweeping Trevor Jones magic up there with the themes from Merlin and Cleopatra.

Peter love

Well, I know for one I'd never heard it before.

Same way I feel more people should know and love this piece by him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0lt6L7F … re=related
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. Anthony wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    24: The Game - Sean Callery (ps2 game rip)

24+real orchestra= Pure Awesomeness.

Best thing is to hear some music from the series played by a real orchestra (like the music when Jack takes off from the airport in the second season).

Isn't the game rip really low quality? I have the soundtrack which is good but it's very short.

No. It's a rip from the game, there's a lot of music, with good quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

Peter love

T'is great. Simple but effective (the best sort to play on the piano... because they're easy!)