• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian

cool

I approve of this post.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

cool

I approve of this post.
  1. Alexandre Desplat - The Ides of March

I approve of this music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - The Ides of March

I approve of this music.

I don't.

...or more accurately I can't, I haven't heard it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PERFUME - Tom Twyker & Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil

Heaven scent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Haywire - David Holmes

This is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Haywire - David Holmes

This is good.

Oh, it is!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PERFUME - Tom Twyker & Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil

Heaven scent.

Absolutely gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE MUMMY - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Wow! I absolutely love it when you return to music you've neglected for ages and it sounds far better than you remember it to be.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Gladiator - Hans Zimmer, Klaus Badelt, Lisa Gerrard

I go with the masses tonight!

A popular score but not the best Zimmer' score.
  2. Well it is for me one of his best, and one of his most emotional powerhouses.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    An emotional powerhouses is THE THIN RED LINE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited
    NP: The Battle of Neretva/The Naked and the Dead - Bernard Herrmann

First listen... and the first track is punk

Again, I will state that I'm no fan of complete Bernard Herrmann scores on CD (with a few exceptions.) Let's see how this one holds up! By the way, the sound quality is really aggressive...up close and personal!

For more info about this release go HERE!

-Erik-

PS - What the hell? Is that Torn Curtain in "Nazi Attack?" I had no idea Herrmann borrowed music from his rejected score and incorporated it into this score! Neat!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: Music From The Twilight Saga - performed by the Redfeld Ensemble

I like to hear the music from the "movies" which a different approach. The soundtracks are played by a small ensemble and soprano. Also the bit from Desplat's concert in Brazil was lovely.
  4. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

cool

I approve of this post.

The motion is thirded. Now hurry up, Intrada.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. THE ABYSS - ALAN SILVESTRI

Now this is a five star album, in fact the last three cues alone are worth that rating. Silvestri at his goosebumping best!!!

It could do with a remastering / expansion personally speaking.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Varese owns that one in perpetuity, so unless they do it, don't count on it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012
    US Marshals - Jerry Goldsmith

One of many disposable thriller scores he did in the 90s. I enjoy most of them occasionally, when I want some brainless fun. This is one such occasion.
  7. The style of scoring he used, was much more refined and interesting when used in "Star Trek: Insurrection". He used that style in his rejected score to "Domestic Disturbance", but I've not delved further to find out which one -- the "U.S." Marshals" style of the Trek IX version.

I would have prefered it over the stuff from some of his last scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    the "U.S." Marshals" style of the Trek IX version.

They are the same boring action style! The only redeeming action cue from of both scores is the fabulous "The Front Gate" from US Marshals.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    the "U.S." Marshals" style of the Trek IX version.

They are the same boring action style! The only redeeming action cue from of both scores is the fabulous "The Front Gate" from US Marshals.

-Erik-

I don't think both U.S. Marshals' action music is boring. Sure it's not his greatest work and I don't listen to it a lot, but when I compare it with today's composers action music in film, it's a friggin' masterpiece. You know the pounding rhythms Jerry wrote for this one, the new guys can only dream of. It has one theme used over and over, but boy is it a cool one!

And Insurrection is a fine score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    plindboe wrote
    Why isn't this theme one of Trevor Jones' most loved themes? I never see it mentioned, even though it's sweeping Trevor Jones magic up there with the themes from Merlin and Cleopatra.

Peter love

Thank you for this one Peter. I love Jones very much. Very moving themes and instrumentation. I thought of Aegis a couple of times. Although this one is much sweeter than Aegis.
  8. THE PROMISE - KLAUS BADELT

It's really something beautiful, more than the crap film deserves.

But the album is sequenced all wrong. It ends not nearly as good as it begins.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Battle of Neretva/The Naked and the Dead - Bernard Herrmann

First listen... and the first track is punk

Again, I will state that I'm no fan of complete Bernard Herrmann scores on CD (with a few exceptions.) Let's see how this one holds up! By the way, the sound quality is really aggressive...up close and personal!

For more info about this release go HERE!

-Erik-

PS - What the hell? Is that Torn Curtain in "Nazi Attack?" I had no idea Herrmann borrowed music from his rejected score and incorporated it into this score! Neat!

I am looking forward to hearing this when I get back home.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    justin boggan wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Why isn't this theme one of Trevor Jones' most loved themes? I never see it mentioned, even though it's sweeping Trevor Jones magic up there with the themes from Merlin and Cleopatra.

Peter love

Well, I know for one I'd never heard it before.

Same way I feel more people should know and love this piece by him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0lt6L7F … re=related

Steven wrote
    T'is great. Simple but effective (the best sort to play on the piano... because they're easy!)

Bregje wrote
    Thank you for this one Peter. I love Jones very much. Very moving themes and instrumentation. I thought of Aegis a couple of times. Although this one is much sweeter than Aegis.

Glad you guys like it!

Justin, yep, The mighty is mighty good. I knew that theme already, but it certainly didn't hurt to listen to it again. smile

Bregje, I love Jones too. He has such a unique sound, and his themes are so sweeping he even challenges John Barry in being the king of sweepingness.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: WAR HORSE - JOHN WILLIAMS

Very impressive.

Not sure about the film though. According to the poster the First World War featured "infrequent moderate battle violence".
  10. plindboe wrote
    Justin, yep, The mighty is mighty good. I knew that theme already, but it certainly didn't hurt to listen to it again. smile

Bregje, I love Jones too. He has such a unique sound, and his themes are so sweeping he even challenges John Barry in being the king of sweepingness.

Peter smile

1998 was a fantastic year for Jones, he sure was on a roll at the time. The Mighty, Merlin and Dark City, all of them holding truly stunning music. Dark City is probably my favourite of those, for the sole reason that it features one of the most brilliant finale pieces I've ever heard in film, such a wonderful ending both visually and musically, my heart always skips a beat during that sequence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

Very impressive.

Not sure about the film though. According to the poster the First World War featured "infrequent moderate battle violence".

I read some very negative things about the film; i.e. that if you don't jizz over the idea of horses, or actual horses themselves, it's not for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't think both U.S. Marshals' action music is boring. Sure it's not his greatest work and I don't listen to it a lot, but when I compare it with today's composers action music in film, it's a friggin' masterpiece.

Nah... it's pretty basic and uninspired even for Goldsmith.

DreamTheater wrote
    You know the pounding rhythms Jerry wrote for this one, the new guys can only dream of. It has one theme used over and over, but boy is it a cool one!

I've heard some pretty bad ass action music since Goldsmith's death that complete obliterates most of the action material Goldsmith wrote in his later years.

DreamTheater wrote
    And Insurrection is a fine score.

Not really. It does have some highlights... mainly the more tender/romantic moments - "New Sight" is the scores highlight - but from an action stand point it's pretty dull and again uninspired. It's just pounds away at you with endless references to that awful US Marshals action motif. Almost as irritating as Horner's four-note danger motif.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    LSH wrote

Very impressive.

I read some very negative things about the film; i.e. that if you don't jizz over the idea of horses, or actual horses themselves, it's not for you.

Actually, the issue some audiences are having is that the entire film is a throw back to the Golden Age. Very old fashioned, heart on its sleeve, classic filming techniques. If this was made in the 50's then John Ford would have made it!

-Erik-