• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012
    IRIS -Danny Elfman

Can't get enough of this brilliant work. Such a colourful, creative fusion of his past and modern compositional styles. Nearly every piece has some striking quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Brian Tyler rocks.

No he doesn't!

But when I think about that clip from a while ago, when I see him drumming like he's in a rock band, well he sure seemed to rock then!

He doesn't ? Pfff, yeah right. Let's see you or the majority of other of his same-age colleagues in film music do what he does with the passion and energy he does it. Not to mention musicanship and extreme musical knowledge. There's nothing this man can't do when it comes to a musical instrument and a microphone.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire

Brilliant, brilliant score.

I approve of this post.

I approve of this approval.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Brian Tyler rocks.

No he doesn't!

But when I think about that clip from a while ago, when I see him drumming like he's in a rock band, well he sure seemed to rock then!

He doesn't ? Pfff, yeah right. Let's see you or the majority of other of his same-age colleagues in film music do what he does with the passion and energy he does it. Not to mention musicanship and extreme musical knowledge. There's nothing this man can't do when it comes to a musical instrument and a microphone.

I'm not so convinced he's as "talented" as other composers out there, but what excites me about his stuff is that he's playing the majority of the percussion. And he clearly loves percussion!

Some sounds pretty similar, but Eagle Eye, Fast Five, MW3 and Tokyo Drift are bloody awesome.

Ah fuck it, he has a Ferrari, he's clearly doing fine. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And a damn hot babe.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Cristian wrote
    Bregje wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Why isn't this theme one of Trevor Jones' most loved themes? I never see it mentioned, even though it's sweeping Trevor Jones magic up there with the themes from Merlin and Cleopatra.

Peter love

Thank you for this one Peter. I love Jones very much. Very moving themes and instrumentation. I thought of Aegis a couple of times. Although this one is much sweeter than Aegis.

Indeed it reminds me of Aegis, beautiful theme, Trevor Jones knows how to write great themes.

Thinking of Trevor Jones I took out Live in Madrid and the 7:10 Aegis suite blew me away again.

It's all I have from Aegis. And I heard the score years back on Eriks show, played it over and over again.

Merlin is great too. You know, Jones' sound is as moving to me as Pouledouris'.
    And Trevor Jones is just great with brass counterpoints. Just listen to Merlin and Aegis for instance!

So I'm doing ironing while listening to Trevor Jones Live. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    PREDATOR 2 - ALAN SILVESTRI

Now this FLAT OUT ROCKS !!!!!! punk

Brian Tyler, take note!

Yes, even Jerry's U.S. Marshals and ST IX: Insurrection don't come close to this, I have to admit. smile

The End Titles cue in particular is flat out AWESOME!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Essentially a summary of the major bits in the score, but yes it's awesome.

Something Silvestri doesn't quite do anymore.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Essentially a summary of the major bits in the score, but yes it's awesome.

Isn't that what a normal end credit cue is... tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Southall wrote
    Some good stuff there, Erik! The second one on your list made me change my mind.

for me the third one, def def definitely the third one
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Maciek Dobrowolski - Clockwise

I feel honoured that I had the possibility to work on this beautiful score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Hell yes, at least it used to be...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. SYMPHONIC ODYSSEYS: A TRIBUTE TO NOBUO UEMATSU

It blows my mind. shocked

If you have yet to discover Uematsu-san, this looks like a nice enough introduction. cool

Here's some info about this splendid concert recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Hell yes, at least it used to be...

This reminds me... must do end credit cue series on my radio show.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Evenstar is one of my all-time favourite cues hands down.
  7. Jerry Goldsmith - Tora! Tora! Tora!

Without the bonus tracks at the end. Devilishly intelligent, violent score that to me features the best understanding of Japanese culture in Hollywood film music. Very tense and difficult music, but it's really, really rewarding once you delve into it. And the theme is amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    Bregje wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Bregje wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Why isn't this theme one of Trevor Jones' most loved themes? I never see it mentioned, even though it's sweeping Trevor Jones magic up there with the themes from Merlin and Cleopatra.

Peter love

Thank you for this one Peter. I love Jones very much. Very moving themes and instrumentation. I thought of Aegis a couple of times. Although this one is much sweeter than Aegis.

Indeed it reminds me of Aegis, beautiful theme, Trevor Jones knows how to write great themes.

Thinking of Trevor Jones I took out Live in Madrid and the 7:10 Aegis suite blew me away again.

It's all I have from Aegis. And I heard the score years back on Eriks show, played it over and over again.

Merlin is great too. You know, Jones' sound is as moving to me as Pouledouris'.
    And Trevor Jones is just great with brass counterpoints. Just listen to Merlin and Aegis for instance!

So I'm doing ironing while listening to Trevor Jones Live. smile

I don't know if you know about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkrZMqDQuLg
    Trevor Jones' moving music again.
    What a shame this score wasn't released sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    SYMPHONIC ODYSSEYS: A TRIBUTE TO NOBUO UEMATSU

It blows my mind. shocked

If you have yet to discover Uematsu-san, this looks like a nice enough introduction. cool

Here's some info about this splendid concert recording.

This is fine concert indeed! I've only heard the first disc so far but I plan hear the rest tomorrow.

NP: Ultraman G - Sinsuke Kazato

This is wonderful old school scoring that grows with each listen.

A big thank you to Mr. D. Theater for pointing this score out to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012 edited
    NP: War Horse - John Williams

Far better than the film it accompanies, which didn't engage me emotionally at all. Maybe I'm just a heartless bastard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: War Horse - John Williams

Far better than the film it accompanies, which didn't engage me emotionally at all. Maybe I'm just a heartless bastard.

Yes, FACT! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote

Yes, FACT! wink

The uninvolving bit or the heartless bastard bit (or both)? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Surely the latter old chap wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Well I saw it last night and I got "misty eyed" on more than one occasion during the film.
    Maybe I'm just a sooky la la.
  8. Hans Zimmer - The Last Samurai

One of my favourite albums from Hans, even if in film it's hardly as good. Almost a meditative listen in parts and while the action music is corny and the score is highly derivative of The Thin Red Line (Hans actually reappropriated a rejected Lohengrin-like string elegy that was rejected from the original Journey to the Line piece in film).

A Hard Teacher is great. The final piece is atrocious in the film (I blame Edward Zwick on that), but I simply adore it on the album. Hans wrote quite a few Far Eastern sounding score and while Miya may laugh me off here, I think he comes from a philosophical understanding of Far East.
  9. I'm feeling oddly cathartic, so I played Delerue's theme for Platoon twice and now I'm playing selected pieces from Desplat's score to La Fille du Puisatier. Happy times...
  10. Now I'm playing Delerue's theme again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012
    Princess Mononoke - Joe Hisaishi

This is a THEME

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

I LOVE THIS! I think I want to have its babies.
  11. Conrad Pope - Pavilion of Women

I wish I heard more about this fantastic score on this forum. Great themes, very classically-inclined work. Just plain beautiful and yes, it shows that he orchestrates for John Williams.