• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

I LOVE THIS! I think I want to have its babies.

Is it Goldsmith's best album? My most personal Goldsmith score is The Russia House, somehow, but I am always taken by brilliance of this score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Is it Goldsmith's best album? My most personal Goldsmith score is The Russia House, somehow, but I am always taken by brilliance of this score.

Yeah, I'd say it's his best album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    55 Days at Peking - Dimitri Tiomkin

Try as I might, I've been unable to sit through this two-hour album (it's so BIG all the time!) So, I've edited it down to the original 40-minute LP programme - and it's brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, I'd say it's his best album.

I'd say you're probably right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Id say you might be right if Star Trek; The Motion Picture didn't exist. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A very logical choice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

As an album? Yeah! It's certainly up there with the very best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    A very logical choice.

I offer my services as Science Officer.
  2. Alexandre Desplat - The Ides of March

I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012 edited
    Absolutely great, very smart score and you can't say that for many other modern scores lately smile

I thought that Extremely ridiculous titled movie score was more emotional but equally enjoyable too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, both of those were very strong. Add in A Better Life, La Fille du Puisatier and The Tree of Life and I can only say that 2011 was another pretty remarkable year for Desplat, who's just streets ahead of anyone else around right now as far as I'm concerned.
  3. Yes, he is. And I just finished the review I wrote for my film music website (in Polish) and it's great how Desplat deconstructs Americana. It works great in case of negative evolution of the main character (from a pure idealist to a brutal player in the game of the politics). It perfectly agrees with Clooney's cynicism. Smart, intelligent, what I like in film music.

I don't need big themes, epic sound or whatever. I just love the structure and the thought put in by some composers. Sadly, Zimmer has seemingly stopped thinking, which I deeply regret.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Modern Warfare 3 - Brian Tyler

There's nothing new here, but it's undeniably enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't need big themes, epic sound or whatever.

I do.

I just love the structure and the thought put in by some composers.

That too.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, he is. And I just finished the review I wrote for my film music website (in Polish) and it's great how Desplat deconstructs Americana. It works great in case of negative evolution of the main character (from a pure idealist to a brutal player in the game of the politics). It perfectly agrees with Clooney's cynicism. Smart, intelligent, what I like in film music.

I don't need big themes, epic sound or whatever. I just love the structure and the thought put in by some composers. Sadly, Zimmer has seemingly stopped thinking, which I deeply regret.

What do you mean exactly when you say "deconstructs Americana"? I struggle to find a very clear americana element at all... but perhaps that's the deconstructing you refer to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012
    Southall wrote
    Modern Warfare 3 - Brian Tyler

There's nothing new here, but it's undeniably enjoyable.

True. Way better than Zimmer's.
  4. Well, taking into account that Zimmer's Modern Warfare score (really Balfe's) is one of the worst game scores, if not the worst, I've heard in my life, that's not a hard thing to achieve smile
  5. markrayen wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, he is. And I just finished the review I wrote for my film music website (in Polish) and it's great how Desplat deconstructs Americana. It works great in case of negative evolution of the main character (from a pure idealist to a brutal player in the game of the politics). It perfectly agrees with Clooney's cynicism. Smart, intelligent, what I like in film music.

What do you mean exactly when you say "deconstructs Americana"? I struggle to find a very clear americana element at all... but perhaps that's the deconstructing you refer to?

I mean that he gives a twist on the sound and here by Americana I don't only understand Copland's writing (which is quite prominent in Behind the Flag to me), but also the kind of Civil March marches that is epitomized by the "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" song (The Campaign and its arrangement of the main theme with a very prominent snare and flutes, but the solo electric cello gives it a darker twist) and John Phillip Souza's classic marches like The Washington Post (the snare in The Candidate). The Campaign sounds a bit like a parody of music generally played (though not quite recently) during presidential campaigns in America and that referred quite a lot to Americana, but not necessarily to Copland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, taking into account that Zimmer's Modern Warfare score (really Balfe's) is one of the worst game scores, if not the worst, I've heard in my life, that's not a hard thing to achieve smile

That one was a shocker. I think I have an album of it which I've never listened to. Heard it while playing the game and I guess it worked OK in context but - really - Tyler's music is actually a perfect match for this sort of thing.
  6. The RCP score (a theme by Hans Zimmer and a score written by Lorne Balfe and around half of the population of California) was supposed to be a perfect match. The game has a chockful of references to films that happened to have scores that Zimmer had a career on (just to give an example, the shower fight in one mission and the fact that another mission ends with the soldiers pulling out green smoke to show that everything is OK are quite obvious quotes from The Rock). The music works in the context, but is very insipidly written, like in their sleep.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I mean that he gives a twist on the sound and here by Americana I don't only understand Copland's writing (which is quite prominent in Behind the Flag to me), but also the kind of Civil March marches that is epitomized by the "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" song (The Campaign and its arrangement of the main theme with a very prominent snare and flutes, but the solo electric cello gives it a darker twist) and John Phillip Souza's classic marches like The Washington Post (the snare in The Candidate). The Campaign sounds a bit like a parody of music generally played (though not quite recently) during presidential campaigns in America and that referred quite a lot to Americana, but not necessarily to Copland.

I see! Because I've always felt a bit confused with the definition of what "americana" actually is by an objective definition. I think the Copland reference in this case is quite vague, since Desplat's phrases are so short and repetitious. The music is more within in a pop, almost R&B-like idiom with a rhythm section and small orchestral "riffs" and harmonic progressions on top. I checked some online sources and found that the term "americana" is most often associated with music derived from American forms such as country, blues and R&B... which indeed would make "Ides" a kind of fusion between the emotionally charged evocations of Copland, and the strong presence of an R&B rhythm section.

The military aspects are, like you say, parodic! It urges a superficial comparison to Shostakovich's Leningrad symphony in a way - except here the parody comes partly from the "cheapness" and banality of the actual composition. I think the irony is extreme, almost arrogantly done....
  7. We Bought A Zoo - Jonsi

This is 2011's Tron Legacy. What Hanna and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo failed to achieve. Best experimental score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, taking into account that Zimmer's Modern Warfare score (really Balfe's) is one of the worst game scores, if not the worst, I've heard in my life, that's not a hard thing to achieve smile

That one was a shocker. I think I have an album of it which I've never listened to. Heard it while playing the game and I guess it worked OK in context but - really - Tyler's music is actually a perfect match for this sort of thing.

And his need for speed score is quite good too.
  8. markrayen wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I see! Because I've always felt a bit confused with the definition of what "americana" actually is by an objective definition. I think the Copland reference in this case is quite vague, since Desplat's phrases are so short and repetitious. The music is more within in a pop, almost R&B-like idiom with a rhythm section and small orchestral "riffs" and harmonic progressions on top. I checked some online sources and found that the term "americana" is most often associated with music derived from American forms such as country, blues and R&B... which indeed would make "Ides" a kind of fusion between the emotionally charged evocations of Copland, and the strong presence of an R&B rhythm section.

The military aspects are, like you say, parodic! It urges a superficial comparison to Shostakovich's Leningrad symphony in a way - except here the parody comes partly from the "cheapness" and banality of the actual composition. I think the irony is extreme, almost arrogantly done....

Not sure, I would use the term arrogance. It's definitely cynical. But yes, while I didn't use the word in my review, the score is definitely very bitterly ironic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WAR HORSE (John Williams)

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y! The album waited for me when I got back yesterday, and even though I had heard the score in the movie by then, it's still bloody fantastic! THIS is the Williams that made me fall in love with him in the first place - Ralph Vaughan Williams-isms, some Copland, some scherzo-ish stuff for the horse's riding antics and some nice suspense writing. It basically beats TINTIN to a pulp!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I just want to say one thing about The Ides of March. This score shows a lot of Desplat's thinking about film and the role of the music and is one of the reasons why I love his music so much.

Writing the review for my website, which was my first Desplat score on the website, was very refreshing, because I could put some hermeneutics into it. Great composer and great fun to write about him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Yugo Kanno - Best Selection

A selection of my favorite cues I made including Samurai High School, Shaolin Girl, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Innocent Love, Hataraki Man, Hotaru No Hikari, Fumo Chitai, Sapuri

If you have no idea who Yugo Kanno is listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQw17Zn2E2E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-I7Yv-O5ok
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2MmSyPGO0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpiBy8hthCc

He is a japanese composer for anime and tv drama and his style is like many japanese composers: emotional, melodic, thematic music.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote

Have you heard Crysis 2? My God, it can get so much worse.
  10. I actually very much prefer Crysis 2 to Modern Warfare 2, at least there Zimmer had a genuine attempt at a decent theme.

Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

I can't get over this score recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Back to Gaya - Michael Kamen

Boy oh boy, this is wonderful. It's this sort of music that made me first fall in love with film music. What a fantastic album. Brings a tear to the eye, knowing the circumstances behind it.