• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012
    Yoshitsune - Taro Iwashiro
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited
    Le Professionel - Ennio Morricone

Yeah, it's pretty much a one-theme score.
    But what a theme.
    WHAT a theme.

This is as close to the best Morricone has ever written as anything!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

But what a theme.
    WHAT a theme.

Disagreement. smile

Yes, Chi mai kicks buttock, but I wouldn't call Chi mai a theme; it's more of a standalone piece. Rather, there are two prominent themes, neither of them is Chi mai. The first is the extraordinary Le vent, le cri, the second is the theme based on the BACH motif.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Martijn wrote

Disagreement. smile

FIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHT!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    I wouldn't call Chi mai a theme; it's more of a standalone piece.

You mean in the sense that he re-used it? (I know it's from Maddalena originally, but it's WAY better known from Le Professionel)

You're quite right that both other pieces feature prominently, but to be honest, I like neither much.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    FIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHT!!!!

biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote

You mean in the sense that he re-used it? (I know it's from Maddalena originally, but it's WAY better known from Le Professionel)

A theme as far as I understand it is a melody or motif that is used as the structural basis for the greater composition, kinda like a brick is a theme in a house. Chi mai was just a single piece that was used in the movie.

Martijn wrote
    You're quite right that both other pieces feature prominently, but to be honest, I like neither much.

Holy crap! Le vent, le cri has always been one of my all-time favourite morricones from the very beginning, up there alongside Chi mai in greatness. The BACH motif isn't quite there, but I do get some enjoyment out of it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FINISH HIM
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    biggrin

Steven, I sense that you need to start a religious debate right about now.

Go here, and tell people they suck. You'll get plenty of action, I guarentee

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But who am I to tell them their beliefs are probably wrong?

Steven. That's who.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote

A theme as far as I understand it is a melody or motif that is used as the structural basis for the greater composition, kinda like a brick is a theme in a house. Chi mai was just a single piece that was used in the movie.

You're quite right. smile
    It stands out so overwhelmingly to me though that for me it carries the soundtrack.
    But in the classic sense it certainly isn't a theme.

Martijn wrote

Holy crap! Le vent, le cri has always been one of my all-time favourite morricones from the very beginning, up there alongside Chi mai in greatness.

Well, I think it's overrated.

(Sorry. I had to. biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    biggrin

Steven, I sense that you need to start a religious debate right about now.

Go here, and tell people they suck. You'll get plenty of action, I guarentee

Peter smile

Talking about sucking: the point has been raised more than once that any group of people who congregate to receive blood from an undead entity to be ensured life everlasting certainly certainly makes for odd comparisons...
  1. plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    FIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHT!!!!

biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphxyjrH4SE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    Martijn wrote

But what a theme.
    WHAT a theme.

I have never heard this. (Well, I have Chi Mai, obviously, but not this album.) It seems pretty much impossible to buy, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012 edited
    NP: THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES, VOL. 1 (Joel McNeely/Laurence Rosenthal)

I love these CD's (I have all four of them!). So varied, each segment with its own musical story to tell. I think overall I prefer McNeely's bits more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES, VOL. 1 (Joel McNeely/Laurence Rosenthal)

I love these CD's (I have all four of them!). So varied, each segment with its own musical story to tell. I think overall I prefer McNeely's bits more.

I go along with that.
    I think his work on the Verdun 1916 segment is a massive highlight.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Essential Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith Prague Philharmonic

Speaking of Prague recordings, I've always had a very soft spot for this. It was this album that introduced me to many other Goldsmith scores, so I have very nostalgic feelings towards the album and the actual recordings. So I'm a little biased. I do love it.

Seconded... As brilliant and as mesmerizing to listen to as Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith.

Ummm... no! No where NEAR the perfection that is Suites and Themes (aka Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith)

DreamTheater wrote
    Worth it for The Omen and Under Fire suites alone. smile

The Omen suite is very good!

-Erik-

Have you heard Stanley Black's 10 minute OMEN suite?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It kicks ass....SERIOUSLY!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... what album is it on?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's on one of the Silva compilations ( not a Prague recording ), I'll get back to you on this tomorrow Eric, it's late and I'm off to bed wave sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok! Nite!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Well, I think it's overrated.

(Sorry. I had to. biggrin )

explode
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

But what a theme.
    WHAT a theme.

I have never heard this. (Well, I have Chi Mai, obviously, but not this album.) It seems pretty much impossible to buy, too.

The album I have is the one called Morricone-Belmondo, which has the three scores The professional, The outsider and The burglars. I think this will be the easiest album to find, instead of albums where the scores appear individually.

Keep in mind though that even though the first two of these scores have some excellent themes, they are extremely repetitive. The burglars has a greater variety and is thus a much more enjoyable listening experience.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Leonard Rosenman

This score is an odd beast for me as it's one of the only scores I know that I both love and dislike at the same time! I totally understand why it divides score collectors. It divides me!
    I remember seeing the film at the cinema for the first time back in 1986 and suffering musical culture shock after loving the past Goldsmith and Horner outputs for the Trek film series. It made me almost dislike the film.
    Yet, being a collector I still bought the album. And yes, it grew on me. So I have a bit of a soft spot for it.
    It's all about the composer really. Lenny Rosenman is a composer with his own distinct musical voice.
    More often than not dissonant and atonal. Sure he writes themes, some not half bad!
    But I think it's his constant use of shrill, piercing brass that dominates his music that often becomes an annoying distraction. Yet I really dig his string work! Great with ostinato and textured string layering.
    I'm thinking primarily of his score to the animated Lord Of The Rings. Great moments to be found there.
    As has been said in another review recently Rosenman's score is the weak link in the chain of Trek scores.
    But to some it's the best of the lot. And I'm not one to judge minority groups. wink
    For me you can't beat the first three entries.
    But anyway, the new Intrada release is very welcome and I play it often. I like it!
    I like the opening theme. I like The Whaler. I like the alternate cues also.
    I still cannot take to the Hospital Chase track being accepted and used in the film.
    Did Leonard Nimoy say to Rosenman "This is going to be a funny scene. I want the audience to know that by putting humorous, slapsticky, Keystone Cop type chase music to it to enhance the gag!" Surely not. But maybe.
    Hey, like I said, I have a soft spot for this score so I should praise the fact that (when in the right frame) I can enjoy this now and in its entirety. With improved sound to boot!
    Oh and I've grown quite fond the film too (quaint as it is).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm divided too, but because of opposite reasons as you. I like the main title theme and the hospital chase, as well as the Yellowjackets tracks (which I was recently told was Rosenman's compositions too!). But I can't stand his more dissonant, tone pyramid stuff. Goes on my nerves.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. ROAR !!!!!!!!!!! - MICHAEL GIACCHINO

It's the closing track on one of my compilations and it's an absolute beast! Next to his videogame work this is my favourite Giacchino composition.

It makes me wish the film had gotten a proper score, this music is too good to be only 12 minutes long.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    It's on one of the Silva compilations ( not a Prague recording ), I'll get back to you on this tomorrow Eric, it's late and I'm off to bed wave sleep

Hi Erik wave Re: Stanley Black's The Omen Suite

I have it on both LP and CD but bugger if I can find the CD crazy It was featured on an early Silva Screen horror compilation, Black's arrangement has appeared on various releases since but under the baton of Nic Raine and the Prague orchestra.

If you can get to hear Black's version it's astounding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just Finished: Preist - Christopher Young

This convinces me that Christopher Young would have done a bang up job on the new Batman films. Modern sound with orchestral color and long lined themes that wouldn't have been out of place in the world of The Dark Knight. Extraordinary score!

Moving onto...

NP: Journey 2: The Mysterious Island - Andrew Lockington

I wasn't a fan of the generic sounding first score and felt that the main theme was mind-boggling bad. Here's hoping for something a bit better this time around.

-Erik-
  3. Young's score is one of the best of the year for me and I really like Lockington's score a lot.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I had to stop Lockington's score about 5 tracks in. A lot of noise and no substance (minus the epic and enjoyable moments in "Island Revealed.") I'm just not in the mood for a second rate David Arnold knockoff right now.

I've moved on to the stunning Charles Gerhardt conducted album The Film Music of Lee Holdridge performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Beastmaster is currently playing! THIS is how you score epic fantasy/adventure music!

-Erik-