• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012

This is the first time I've revisited this in a long time for a variety of reasons (I should start a 'film music with negative emotional attachments' thread).

It's not bad!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote

This is the first time I've revisited this in a long time for a variety of reasons (I should start a 'film music with negative emotional attachments' thread).

It's not bad!

No, that's the understatement of the year. It's now probably my alltime favourite Horner score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jim Ware wrote

It's not bad!

I can't stand it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

It's not bad!

No, that's the understatement of the year. It's now probably my alltime favourite Horner score!

It's possibly mine, too. It's moved into my top ten favourite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    And my axe!
  1. Avatar is pretty great. I haven't listened to it for a while (in fact, I don't have it right now, I borrowed it to my friend, but unlike my primary school music teacher, he does give me my CDs back - my music teacher borrowed The Ninth Gate from me and I've never seen it again!) and yeah, I intend to listen to it, maybe fairly soon, actually!

In fact, I haven't been in a Horner mood for a while! Recently I'm all over Jerry Goldsmith and Vangelis' non-score efforts.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To all those who do appreciate Avatar (and even to those who don't... weirdos), they all need at the very least 'Quaritch Down' edited into their album playlist. No two ways about it. You're listening to an inferior representation of the score without it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I only have the original album. There's some great stuff in the film I'd love to add to it. Which bit's "Quaritch Down" - the Aliens-ish bit?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Avatar is pretty great. I haven't listened to it for a while (in fact, I don't have it right now, I borrowed it to my friend, but unlike my primary school music teacher, he does give me my CDs back - my music teacher borrowed The Ninth Gate from me and I've never seen it again!) and yeah, I intend to listen to it, maybe fairly soon, actually!

In fact, I haven't been in a Horner mood for a while! Recently I'm all over Jerry Goldsmith and Vangelis' non-score efforts.

Depends what non-score film music efforts by Goldsmith you mean? Christus Apollo is appaling.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    To all those who do appreciate Avatar (and even to those who don't... weirdos), they all need at the very least 'Quaritch Down' edited into their album playlist. No two ways about it. You're listening to an inferior representation of the score without it.

Bah! Doesn't help! It's second rate Horner. And no... second rate Horner isn't better then what most are composing today!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Bah! Doesn't help! It's second rate Horner. And no... second rate Horner isn't better then what most are composing today!

-Erik-

I'll listen to Avatar or any other "second-rate" Horner score before I listen to half these other composers (e.g. Giacchino, Bacon, Silvestri, Ross, Reznor...).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I'll listen to Avatar or any other "second-rate" Horner score before I listen to half these other composers (e.g. Giacchino, Bacon, Silvestri, Ross, Reznor...).

Yeah... let's lump Reznor and Ross in that group. rolleyes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Interestingly, I love AVATAR not because of the action tracks, like the one you mention there, but because all the awe and wonder and beauty tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have to agree with Erik! I don't think I've ever listened to it again since the few times I heard it back then. The biolmulensisensenessing track was cool though. The action track with the tree was quite good as well. I didn't enjoy the movie.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Vertical Limit - James Newton Howard

This score has a special place in my heart for the following reasons:

- this score is the reason why I'm now a film music fan. It was for the first time I left the cinema humming the theme.
    - this score is the reason why I'm now a James Newton Howard fan.
    - I like climbing, I like mountains and I think JNH composed a stunning score for the majestic scenery of the Karakorum mountains.
    - I like how the score open and close with the main theme.

You like MOUNTAINS? A man after my own heart beer ( I don't climb but I love hiking whenever I get the chance, I even had serious well prepared plans to go to K2, me and a friend had planned it for 2002 but that was before 9/11 sad ).

VERTICAL LIMIT is one of my very favourite JNH scores and what a fantastic theme! punk

Mountains are a big part of my life. It is one of my big pleasures in life to take my backpack and go hiking (I also am a big fan of hiking). I wish I can do it more often. Sorry that your plans for K2 didn't turn out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

My eyes hurt when I see Silvestri, Ross, Reznor in the same category.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited
    Legends of the Fall

............Perfect Storm................

...........Avatar

Something like this.

Has people forgot how great Legends of the Fall is? The New World is also better than Avatar in my opinion. But that's just me smile
  3. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Avatar is pretty great. I haven't listened to it for a while (in fact, I don't have it right now, I borrowed it to my friend, but unlike my primary school music teacher, he does give me my CDs back - my music teacher borrowed The Ninth Gate from me and I've never seen it again!) and yeah, I intend to listen to it, maybe fairly soon, actually!

Depends what non-score film music efforts by Goldsmith you mean? Christus Apollo is appaling.

I wasn't precise enough. While I actually like atonal, even serial, music, I am not listening to Goldsmith's non-film music stuff.

The scores that have been on multiple repeat are First Blood, Tora! Tora! Tora! and I also added Under Fire to the mix a few days ago. I need to get back to The Edge and Star Trek V (the original half an hour program, I didn't get the Lala expansion) fairly soon.

I also intend to review Russia House for my website some time this week, in fact it's my next planned review.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cristian wrote
    Legends of the Fall

............Perfect Storm................

...........Avatar

Something like this.

Has people forgot how great Legends of the Fall is? The New World is also better than Avatar in my opinion. But that's just me smile

No, I've not forgotten it and it's up there. But I've heard a LOT of Horner over the years (in fact, most of his stuff), and AVATAR has slowly risen to the top of them all. And that says a lot, given the love I have for other Horner classics!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHADOWLANDS (George Fenton/various)

Classy all the way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    I only have the original album. There's some great stuff in the film I'd love to add to it. Which bit's "Quaritch Down" - the Aliens-ish bit?

Yeah, it has that bit. But the highlight of the track is when, in the film, 'mother nature' (whatever it was called) decided to attack the marines (or whatever they were). I think it's the bit in the woods where they're waiting and then suddenly a stampede of various animals come running through the forest.

Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Interestingly, I love AVATAR not because of the action tracks, like the one you mention there, but because all the awe and wonder and beauty tracks.

I love that part too. But not having 'Quaritch Down' in the album is a criminal offense, whether you're weird and don't like the action or not.
  4. Cristian wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Yeah, I was just listing hot and popular composers off the top of my head. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    The nonsensical lyrics of 'A Gringo Like Me' is my favourite!!!!!1111one!!11elevetyone!!!

Yippee! Ultra-catchy song and lyrics that defy logic FTW!

Peter punkpunkpunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Little Women (Thomas Newman)

Lotsa short tracks, but they are all very listenable; and the main theme is just delicious. This album is a great experience.

Rating: ****½

Peter love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    The nonsensical lyrics of 'A Gringo Like Me' is my favourite!!!!!1111one!!11elevetyone!!!

Peter punkpunkpunk

OTT but I love THIS Morricone song a lot. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Yeah, I was just listing hot and popular composers off the top of my head. biggrin

Kidding aside, their GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO score - as it works in the movie, i.e. as a real function of any film score, is incredibly gripping and elevating. Loved the movie and the whole audio-visual experience.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote

Peter punkpunkpunk

OTT but I love THIS Morricone song a lot. love

I worship the theme, but that voice... a bit too screamy for me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Patch of Blue - Jerry Goldsmith

Gorgeous! I can't even remember listening to it before, though I must have done (I've had the CD for well over a decade!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

Well, I had to after the recent discussions. This is the most-played album on my iPod and I still find myself liking it more and more every time. There's so much going on. Horner is probably the best living film composer at having a big picture clearly marked out and making every bar of music contribute something towards that big picture. And it's always so nice to hear "real" music, like this - someone who truly knows their way round an orchestra. Williams gave us a couple of examples in 2011, but they're pretty rare. Horner is unusual in not using click-tracks, but I think you can really tell - the music seems to breathe so naturally - it always stands alone as music, never needing the film to make sense of it.

I'm still not absolutely sure this has overtaken Star Trek II as my favourite Horner album, but it's certainly come very close to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BAD GIRLS (Jerry Goldsmith)

Fun, energetic western score. Pretty straightforward.
    I am extremely serious.