• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    NP: Avatar - James Horner

I thought I would revisit this one, too. It's a lot better then I had remembered but it's still middle of the road Horner as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete the album today. I'll pick up where I left off tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing "Jake's First Flight" again.

-Erik-

PS - 18 months (or whatever it was) of composing and recording just to reinsert the four-note danger motif in this score is truly shameful!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote

I thought I would revisit this one, too. It's a lot better then I had remembered but it's still middle of the road Horner as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete the album today. I'll pick up where I left off tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing "Jake's First Flight" again.

-Erik-

PS - 18 months (or whatever it was) of composing and recording just to reinsert the four-note danger motif in this score is truly shameful!

I always get goosebumps when Horner inserts those little gimmicks of his, including the danger motif....POSITIVE goosebumps! It's like Hitchcock making a cameo in his own movies. Great stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012
    Goosebumps? I get the willies!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Come on! It's his signature, a far established one all these years...one would think that it would rather amuse than disturb people anymore.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's NOT a signature! The crashing piano chords... THAT'S a signature. You don't see Williams breaking out The Imperial March every time there's something menacing going on on screen.

-Erik-
  1. plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    The nonsensical lyrics of 'A Gringo Like Me' is my favourite!!!!!1111one!!11elevetyone!!!

Yippee! Ultra-catchy song and lyrics that defy logic FTW!

Peter punkpunkpunk

OTT but I love THIS Morricone song a lot. love

I worship the theme, but that voice... a bit too screamy for me.

Peter smile

My favourite Morricone song?

must be....

Uccelacci e ucellinni

Come on, how often do you hear the main title sequence actually sung?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's NOT a signature! The crashing piano chords... THAT'S a signature. You don't see Williams breaking out The Imperial March every time there's something menacing going on on screen.

-Erik-

No but if he only used the first four notes of the Imperial March it wouldn't be nearly so ridiculous...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You don't, but I really believe it's become a bit of a joke for him. Michael Kamen put the same little ostinato into every one of his scores (the one that introduces the Robin Hood overture, to name its most famous usage) and that was a joke. I was pleased to hear it a couple of times in Back to Gaya!

The danger motif has only really irritated me in one score, and that's Enemy at the Gates, where its use is so incessant that even I grow tired by it.

As for Avatar and the whole 18-month thing - I don't know whether that's really true or not (as with most things Horner says in interviews I take it with a pinch of salt) but I never really understood why people were surprised that he spent so long on a score and ended up writing one which was very typical for him. He's got one of the strongest musical identities of any living film composer (which is slightly ironic, given his fondness for quoting others) and so spending so long on something, I'm not surprised it ended up sounded like him. What else would it sound like? (This paragraph not directed at you, by the way Erik - just at the general reaction at the time.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No but if he only used the first four notes of the Imperial March it wouldn't be nearly so ridiculous...

Then, it would sound like a slowed-down version of the opening to Beethoven's 5th!
  2. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You don't, but I really believe it's become a bit of a joke for him. Michael Kamen put the same little ostinato into every one of his scores (the one that introduces the Robin Hood overture, to name its most famous usage) and that was a joke. I was pleased to hear it a couple of times in Back to Gaya!

The danger motif has only really irritated me in one score, and that's Enemy at the Gates, where its use is so incessant that even I grow tired by it.

As for Avatar and the whole 18-month thing - I don't know whether that's really true or not (as with most things Horner says in interviews I take it with a pinch of salt) but I never really understood why people were surprised that he spent so long on a score and ended up writing one which was very typical for him. He's got one of the strongest musical identities of any living film composer (which is slightly ironic, given his fondness for quoting others) and so spending so long on something, I'm not surprised it ended up sounded like him. What else would it sound like? (This paragraph not directed at you, by the way Erik - just at the general reaction at the time.)

Seems like, as is the case of many animated projects, the movie was scored along with the filming. So the 18 months working process might be actually true here. Horner scored the scenes he was given right after they were made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The imperial march is a full-blown, classical theme in all its length and structure. The four note motif is a .... motif; a glimpse of musical time. Certainly used as a signature in his music, from a musicological point of view. You may not agree, but strictly speaking it is what this is.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Motifs and themes are associated with characters and places in films. I don't care how many notes are written for one - re-using them in this fashion (the four note danger motif is pretty much "Quaritch" theme/motif) is shameless and for the most part a lazy decision on the part of Horner and/or Cameron.

Having got back into the Avatar score this morning I'm surprised that I didn't like this one more when I first heard it.... I think I had greater expectations. Anyway, I hate to admit it but this is a friggin' solid album with a delightful main theme heard in it's best incarnation during "Jake's First Flight." The album is pretty much one highlight after another and I can now hear why so many people enjoyed this one back in '09. An added bonus is playing this one as loud as possible!

Avatar won't crack my top Horner scores list but I retract my statement where I said this was middle of the road Horner. It obviously isn't... it's just too bad about the danger motif or this could have been ranked much, much higher on my list!

-Erik-

PS - How in the bloody hell did "Quaritch Down" not make the cut on the commercial album?! "Fight To The Death" is pretty bad ass as well.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    ...I retract my statement where I said this was middle of the road Horner. It obviously isn't... it's just too bad about the danger motif or this could have been ranked much, much higher on my list!

Your comment reminds me of retractions found in our tabloid newspapers: usually buried somewhere in the middle of the newspaper!

wink

It is interesting how our opinions can change over time (in either direction). This is why I don't get rid of things I don't like at the moment...chances are I may like them at some point in the future.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    PS - How in the bloody hell did "Quaritch Down" not make the cut on the commercial album?! "Fight To The Death" is pretty bad ass as well.

yeah to the power of punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Partition - Brian Tyler

This is the Brian Tyler that I like.

Great theme!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

yeah to the power of punk

Anybody else notice a throw-back to BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS in the early part of Quaritch Down? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote
    Partition - Brian Tyler

This is the Brian Tyler that I like.

Great theme!

cool

INDEED! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    My favourite Morricone song?

must be....

Uccelacci e ucellinni

Come on, how often do you hear the main title sequence actually sung?!

I wonder if that's the only time that's ever been done... Very catchy and wacky song. Disregarding the inventiveness and cleverness, when choosing my favourite Morricone song, there are many Morricone songs that beat it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Hancock (Complete Version) - John Powell

Highly entertaining, melodic score. Makes me wish that John was working on Berg's next movie, Battleship, instead of Steve Jablonsky.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHOUANS - Georges Delerue

Wonderful!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CHOUANS - Georges Delerue

Wonderful!

Yes.
    It is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    lp wrote

Highly entertaining, melodic score. Makes me wish that John was working on Berg's next movie, Battleship, instead of Steve Jablonsky.

Tracks I like are 2, 9, 10, 13, 17, 19, 20. I could do without the rest. In other words, this score shines at times, but two thirds of the tracks are forgettable.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    plindboe wrote
    lp wrote

Tracks I like are 2, 9, 10, 13, 17, 19, 20. I could do without the rest. In other words, this score shines at times, but two thirds of the tracks are forgettable.

Peter smile

I welcome any non-animation-based action material from John Powell. It's so rare now a day.

And speaking of animation scores

NP: Kung Fu Panda 2 - John Powell

So many excellent moments in this score. JOYGASM!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote

Hmm, I've yet to discover them? And that's not even a facetious condescending comment (I would never do that)... I genuinely want to like this score more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Hmm, I've yet to discover them? And that's not even a facetious condescending comment (I would never do that)... I genuinely want to like this score more!

Have you seen the movie? My first reaction to the score weren't so positive. But after seeing the movie, I've grown to really like/love this score.
  4. Why aren't you crediting Zimmer for this one?

I listened to it twice and I do hear him working on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Why aren't you crediting Zimmer for this one?

I listened to it twice and I do hear him working on it.

LOL, I KNOW! Honest mistake. It's just because I was in a John Powell mindset with the Hancock score.

I would really love to find out which part is from Hans directly. But then the whole thing is so well blended and great sounding that I don't even care who did what.
  5. Voted today (Florida presidential primary). Popped in "The Great Escape" in celebration. Left the paring lot with the main title march playing out the windows.

Coincidently, somebody posted a video, over at another board, of Elmer conducting it live to an audience. He was all smiles and seemed to enjoy very much doing it and was really into conducting it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    lp wrote
    I welcome any non-animation-based action material from John Powell. It's so rare now a day.

Rare doesn't make better though. I'm perfectly fine with Powell doing animated scores for the rest of his life, because he's so bloody fantastic at it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jesus... Hancock is pretty much a live action animated film anyway.

-Erik-