• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    It was the second Conan film, where the orchestra oerformed poorly, even playing incorrect notes.
    I don't recall anything about the first score being unsatisfactory.

I know the second one was especially bad, but I've heard that Poledouris was unhappy with the first one as well.

Peter smile
  1. Timmer wrote
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Shelob's Lair features some of the most challenging and exciting music I've heard in film music. Completely atonal, it's realy brilliant.

I can't listen to it. If that was supposed to be the feeling of it, then it's brillian indeed spider

Pah! Here's PROPER SPIDER MUSIC punk

P.S. I TOTALLY PROMISE this is safe for all Spider phobes. biggrin

This is absolutely not safe for anyone not into creepy yet awesome music...

And yeah Shelob's music can be quite challenging to listen to, but it's just what the scene needed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012 edited
    NP: Big Miracle - Cliff Eidelman

First of all, it's great to see Eidelman working again. Ok, got that out of the way. However, I kinda which is got a better project that would allow him to stretch his wings. It feels like Eidelman coasted through this one. It's not bad but it's nothing to write home about. It's a score dominated by acoustic guitar, strings, woodwinds and piano. It's middle of the road and back in the hayday of the 30 minute Varese album this would have been a perfect candidate for that kind of treatment. There are some pleasant highlights (nothing ground breaking) but 51 minute presentation is a bit much. A shorter presentation would have put it nicely along other lighter Eidelman fare like One True Thing, A Simple Twist of Fate and Now and Then. This almost feels like Free Willy 3 Part II... dizzy but doesn't reach those climactic or thematic highs. The last three tracks almost get there but not quite. I doubt I'll be return to this any time soon. Here's hoping that Eidelman can find something soon that truly inspires him.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    Islands in the Stream - Jerry Goldsmith

Islands in the stream, that is what we are - no one in between, how can we be wrong?

The song doesn't really fit in with the score, but what a score it is. Of all the Goldsmith scores I consider to be truly great, this is perhaps the one where I have least support; really though, I do think it's truly great. It is so obviously such deeply personal music for him.
  2. Goldsmith would agree with you. And that's what matters.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Big Miracle - Cliff Eidelman

First of all, it's great to see Eidelman working again. Ok, got that out of the way. However, I kinda which is got a better project that would allow him to stretch his wings. It feels like Eidelman coasted through this one. It's not bad but it's nothing to write home about. It's a score dominated by acoustic guitar, strings, woodwinds and piano. It's middle of the road and back in the hayday of the 30 minute Varese album this would have been a perfect candidate for that kind of treatment. There are some pleasant highlights (nothing ground breaking) but 51 minute presentation is a bit much. A shorter presentation would have put it nicely along other lighter Eidelman fare like One True Thing, A Simple Twist of Fate and Now and Then. This almost feels like Free Willy 3 Part II... dizzy but doesn't reach those climactic or thematic highs. The last three tracks almost get there but not quite. I doubt I'll be return to this any time soon. Here's hoping that Eidelman can find something soon that truly inspires him.

-Erik-

Shame. Seems he scores a movie every three years, and the scores aren't really worth the wait. For someone so gifted and still very young, it's sad that he seems to be retiring already.

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Shelob's Lair features some of the most challenging and exciting music I've heard in film music. Completely atonal, it's realy brilliant.

I can't listen to it. If that was supposed to be the feeling of it, then it's brillian indeed spider

Same here. I can't listen to this. It's the ugly part of film music that I don't like. This should stay only in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then I'm glad you're not in charge of film music albums!
  3. What is ugly for some, can be wonderful for others. Its the likes and dislikes we all share. Not a favourite track of mine, but it has its function on the album and more importantly, in the film it's use is perfect.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Pah! Here's PROPER SPIDER MUSIC punk

P.S. I TOTALLY PROMISE this is safe for all Spider phobes. biggrin

This is absolutely not safe for anyone not into creepy yet awesome music...

And yeah Shelob's music can be quite challenging to listen to, but it's just what the scene needed.

KRULL? :melt:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Islands in the Stream - Jerry Goldsmith

Islands in the stream, that is what we are - no one in between, how can we be wrong?

The song doesn't really fit in with the score, but what a score it is. Of all the Goldsmith scores I consider to be truly great, this is perhaps the one where I have least support; really though, I do think it's truly great. It is so obviously such deeply personal music for him.

I love this score, it would make it into my top 20 JG scores. You're right about the song, it really doesn't fit the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Bliss - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Top 10 score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Conan the destroyer (Re-recording)

I still prefer the original in a few places, but this re-recording is just awesome! While I didn't feel that the barbarian re-recording improved much, this one surely does! And that they re-recorded the theatre play is awesome beyond belief.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah, I agree with you, Peter. There's something not RIGHT about the Barbarian recording. There's missed notes, odd performances, odd new instrumentation and a recording that doesn't sit right with me. However, Destroyer on the other hand is eye opening. The sonics are incredible, the performances are almost flawless and the larger orchestra finally does Basil's music justice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: The Third Man - Anton Karas

This is the first time that I have had a copy of this score in all the years of listening to film music! And I can't understand why I have not picked this up sooner: I like the theme, but maybe I didn't think that there was much else to the score than the theme. The film itself is one that does not appeal to me I I have never heard the music in the film itself.

The version I have is the Silva re-recording and once I have taken away the dialogue and the Big Ben track there's still 47 minutes of zitherness to listen to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP. MULAN (Jerry Goldsmith)

Diggin' it....both songs and score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm currently playing a 1300 track "End Credits/End Titles" playlist on shuffle! What a fantastic way to discover and re-discover your music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah, I agree with you, Peter. There's something not RIGHT about the Barbarian recording. There's missed notes, odd performances, odd new instrumentation and a recording that doesn't sit right with me. However, Destroyer on the other hand is eye opening. The sonics are incredible, the performances are almost flawless and the larger orchestra finally does Basil's music justice.

-Erik-

Exactly! You have a talent for expressing my thoughts much better than I'm capable of.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Essential Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith Prague Philharmonic

Speaking of Prague recordings, I've always had a very soft spot for this. It was this album that introduced me to many other Goldsmith scores, so I have very nostalgic feelings towards the album and the actual recordings. So I'm a little biased. I do love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My own awesome TV and Film Themes playlist.
    Some GREAT stuff on there I had half forgotten!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah, I agree with you, Peter. There's something not RIGHT about the Barbarian recording.

dizzy
    To me it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    ...or at least since the original album came out.
    Of Conan.
    Not sliced bread

<Threepio>Sometimes I just don't understand human behaviour.</Threepio>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would have gone for a far less 'forced' sound than the one Fitzpatrick (or whoever) went for on the Conan rerecording. I do enjoy the recording immensely, but for music this good, it deserves nothing less than a Gerhardt/Tomlinson-like sound.
    Now THAT would have been something truly worth rejoicing!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have it! I'm happy!
  5. Steven wrote

Speaking of Prague recordings, I've always had a very soft spot for this. It was this album that introduced me to many other Goldsmith scores, so I have very nostalgic feelings towards the album and the actual recordings. So I'm a little biased. I do love it.

Seconded... As brilliant and as mesmerizing to listen to as Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith.

Worth it for The Omen and Under Fire suites alone. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I have it! I'm happy!

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Seconded... As brilliant and as mesmerizing to listen to as Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith.

Ummm... no! No where NEAR the perfection that is Suites and Themes (aka Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith)

DreamTheater wrote
    Worth it for The Omen and Under Fire suites alone. smile

The Omen suite is very good!

-Erik-
  6. Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah, I agree with you, Peter. There's something not RIGHT about the Barbarian recording.

dizzy
    Of Conan.
    Not sliced bread

<Artoo>Agreeable response</Artoo>
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Ummm... no! No where NEAR the perfection that is Suites and Themes (aka Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith)

It absolutely is for me! Not a performance on it I don't like. punk

But hey, I even love their 90s Space & Beyond albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

It absolutely is for me! Not a performance on it I don't like. punk

But hey, I even love their 90s Space & Beyond albums.

The Space and Beyond albums are fine (I hold Alien Invasion very close to my heart) and the Goldsmith album is fine but the Suites and Themes album is perfection in every sense of the word. From flawless performance to arrangement to presentation to recording. It's unbeatable. The Prague recording suffers from a constipated over reverberated recording. The orchestra's performance is actually not that bad compared to most of their disastrous recordings done around the same time but it's still not up to the standards of the Philharmonia. Hell, this album doesn't even come close to the quality of Varese's Frontiers.

The Essential Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith
    is enjoyable but I'd rather reach for the two far superior albums I listed above.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

dizzy
    Of Conan.
    Not sliced bread

I think you overestimate slices of bread.

I'd choose a casserole with sweet carrots and pieces of meat that fall apart as soon as you sink your teeth into them any day of the week.

Peter lick