• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012
    NP: WAR HORSE (John Williams)

Can't stop listening, but I should really go to bed now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012 edited
    Tamiya Terashima - Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea)

Beautiful theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    CutThroat Island John Debney

First world problems float away when you put something AWESOME like this on. But only if it's LOUD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Tuck everlasting (William Ross)

Intimate little score. None of the themes really grab me. Only thing I notice is that one of them is a rip-off of Thomas Newman's famous Horse whisperer theme.

I normally like Ross though. Perhaps this album will get to me after more listens.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cristian wrote
    Yugo Kanno - Best Selection

A selection of my favorite cues I made including Samurai High School, Shaolin Girl, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Innocent Love, Hataraki Man, Hotaru No Hikari, Fumo Chitai, Sapuri

If you have no idea who Yugo Kanno is listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQw17Zn2E2E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-I7Yv-O5ok
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2MmSyPGO0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpiBy8hthCc

He is a japanese composer for anime and tv drama and his style is like many japanese composers: emotional, melodic, thematic music.

Very nice pieces. Enjoying them now.

His name annoys me a bit though. Considering there's a much more famous composer called Yoko Kanno, his name is a bit like someone being called Bennio Morricone or Danny Gelfman. Will have to get used to it.

Peter smile
  1. Steven wrote
    CutThroat Island John Debney

First world problems float away when you put something AWESOME like this on. But only if it's LOUD.

LOUD is not nearly enough for such a score. punk

BATMAN FOREVER - ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

Nor for this one for that matter. This is balls to the wall gothic scoring Goldenthal style. The complete score may be too much for me, but there's no denying that is some HUGE orchestral writing going on here, coupled with AWESOME themes, and that alone should be enough to make all your worldly troubles go away.

I'd still prefer a Batman & Robin release at some point, but it doesn't have to be complete, a solid hour of highlights is just my thing. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Michael Giacchino

This sounds like it was recorded with the microphone off a mobile phone while it was in someone's pocket.
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: WAR HORSE (John Williams)

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y! The album waited for me when I got back yesterday, and even though I had heard the score in the movie by then, it's still bloody fantastic! THIS is the Williams that made me fall in love with him in the first place - Ralph Vaughan Williams-isms, some Copland, some scherzo-ish stuff for the horse's riding antics and some nice suspense writing. It basically beats TINTIN to a pulp!

I am not too keen on either Williams scores: they remind me more of his nineties output rather than his seventies stuff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    They remind me of his 2000s output!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    They remind me of his career output!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Michael Giacchino

This sounds like it was recorded with the microphone off a mobile phone while it was in someone's pocket.

biggrin

But yes, the recordings of his scores are getting more and more muffled. sad

It's a step up from Super 8 though.
  3. Koji Endo - Juu-san no shikasu

Thirteen Assassins is Takashi Miike's (famous for his horror movies of which I haven't seen any) reportedly first foray into the jidaigeki (literally period drama; a general term for pre-Meiji era samurai epics) genre with an interesting Koji Endo score.

The album is very meditative, featuring strings (section and solo), a lot of percussion (mostly taiko). The only jarring moment is some almost RCP-like electronica in track 3 (literally Three, the track titles are simply Japanese for numbers from one to thirteen. Miya once remarked, asked about the track titles, that they are written in old kanji; an interesting aspect is that the word 4 is spelt as "shi"; in Japanese it's the unlucky number and means "death", too). Nice and interesting score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012 edited
    It's "Juu-san nin no shikaku" wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    Cristian wrote
    I don't know if you know about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkrZMqDQuLg
    Trevor Jones' moving music again.
    What a shame this score wasn't released sad

Didn't know it, thanks! Sounds great and very Jones-y indeed. cheesy

By the way, I bought Aegis on iTunes this weekend so I've had some happy days listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mission Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol Michael Giacchino

Über cool film with an über cool score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012 edited
    CONTACT - ALAN SILVESTRI

One of the man's most inspired / original scores for a true sci-fi classic (IMHO).

'Good to Go' is one hell of an action cue!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Miya wrote
    It's "Juu-san nin no shikaku" wink

Arigato!
  5. [big]Miklos Rozsa - Ben Hur[/big]

I intend to listen to the full score today. I actually never did (I did know the score before though) since I bought it two years ago.

Well, it, along with El Cid, is Rozsa's masterpiece, but to be honest I rarely listen to the man, since I need to be in the mood for this kind of epic, but the mood has appeared recently. I love this score when I'm in that mood. Great orchestral writing, amazing use of themes, what else can be said?

From Golden Age composers I do have a preference to Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman and maybe in fact I'll give The Egyptian a spin in some time (I own the FSM release, so I didn't care for the Varese).

Out of epic scores I own I plan on listening to The Egyptian and the only Lord of the Rings score I haven't listened to recently - Return of the King (listening to the original Reprise Records releases). And I'll see what else I have. I did listen to Conan the Barbarian already, as you know, what I didn't say was that I listened to the re-recording that I got, as you know, thanks to Martijn smile
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Miklos Rozsa - Ben Hur

I intend to listen to the full score today. I actually never did (I did know the score before though) since I bought it two years ago.

Well, it, along with El Cid, is Rozsa's masterpiece, but to be honest I rarely listen to the man, since I need to be in the mood for this kind of epic, but the mood has appeared recently. I love this score when I'm in that mood. Great orchestral writing, amazing use of themes, what else can be said?

From Golden Age composers I do have a preference to Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman and maybe in fact I'll give The Egyptian a spin in some time (I own the FSM release, so I didn't care for the Varese).

Out of epic scores I own I plan on listening to The Egyptian and the only Lord of the Rings score I haven't listened to recently - Return of the King (listening to the original Reprise Records releases). And I'll see what else I have. I did listen to Conan the Barbarian already, as you know, what I didn't say was that I listened to the re-recording that I got, as you know, thanks to Martijn smile
  7. That was supposed to be an edit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Still, it's funny the 'big' coding is visible, as Rozsa's score is definitely big in the literal sense of the word.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yeah, one of the hugest ever written. But the quality of the writing is just plain amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Mission Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol Michael Giacchino

Über cool film with an über cool score.

You better be right about the movie or else i'll be sitting through a two-hour Tom Cruise bukkake because of you. About the score i already established for myself that i don't like it but i was thinking of watching the movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You may change your mind about the score once you see the film. Also, the album works best at 40 minutes. It's definitely more 'stylised' than the previous score, and that really comes through in the film.

Brad Bird is an excellent director of action.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Miklos Rozsa - Ben Hur

Talking about the full score, I can't get over the fact that the sound quality totally hampers my enjoyment of it. I also seem to prefer El Cid's majesty over Ben-Hur, I find it a lot more interesting, both in the thematic department and general underscore.

The Vocalion release of Ben-Hur (thanks Martijn smile ) is the only one I need, clocking in at 46 minutes. Superb re-recording too.
  10. Howard Shore - The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Great as the whole trilogy is. Tracks like Steward of the Gondor or Twilight and Shadows are just brilliant with the latter belonging to the trilogy highlights for me. Minas Morgul has one of my favourite arrangements of the Sauron ostinato.

Shelob's Lair features some of the most challenging and exciting music I've heard in film music. Completely atonal, it's realy brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Conan the Barbarian (Re-recording)

Some tracks are fantastic, but others pale in comparison to the OST. The leaving/The search from the OST has always been in my top3 of favourite cues of all time. The re-recording just makes a mess of it. Wifeing and Theology/Civilization aren't too fantastic either, compared to the originals

I find it weird how Poledouris was unsatisfied with the orchestra, considering how close the OST is to perfection to my ears.

Peter smile
  11. It was the second Conan film, where the orchestra oerformed poorly, even playing incorrect notes.
    I don't recall anything about the first score being unsatisfactory.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Shelob's Lair features some of the most challenging and exciting music I've heard in film music. Completely atonal, it's realy brilliant.

I can't listen to it. If that was supposed to be the feeling of it, then it's brillian indeed spider
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I can't listen to it. If that was supposed to be the feeling of it, then it's brillian indeed spider

Pah! Here's PROPER SPIDER MUSIC punk

P.S. I TOTALLY PROMISE this is safe for all Spider phobes. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt