• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/t … an-ledrut/

Review of the new release from Kritzerland
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012
    Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows - Hans Zimmer

It's reasonably enjoyable, but not as much as the first one, I don't think.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012
    Thomas Newman - The Help

Certainly nothing new but still great to have him back writing music like this. Virtually every cue is different, and beautifully crafted with melodiousness of some sort. Even without a big, memorable, overarching theme to tie it all up, this is a very easy way to spend an hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND (Christophe Beck)

Really like this score -- minimalistic, but very lovely. A mix of Marianelli, Glass and Tiersen, maybe?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012 edited
    NP : CROSS OF IRON - Ernest Gold

An okay score on album but the theme? Oh man, WHAT A THEME!!!

Up there with the very best ever, they really don't write em like this anymore.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows - Hans Zimmer

It's reasonably enjoyable, but not as much as the first one, I don't think.

Damn i must be listening to different stuff 'cause what i heard put me to sleep, every time i tried to approach this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cocoon - James Horner

Very good indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Having watched the film recently I'd say that Horner's score to Cocoon is... well... perfect!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Having watched the film recently I'd say that Horner's score to Cocoon is... well... perfect!

-Erik-

Damn that film and score....pushes all the buttons! cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry

Great stuff.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012
    Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

Pure bliss. So many rich, memorable themes. Two in particular are better than anything 98% of composers will ever come up with in their career.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry

Great stuff.

Pure Barry bliss, not just a great Bond score but one of The great film scores.
  1. NP: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Leonard Rosenman

I am so used to the old album/CD version of this score it is an eye-opening experience to listen to this expanded release from Intrada. I read the liner notes first (unusual for me) and it helped to explain some of the reasons for the alternate versions appearing on this CD - and it helps explain why this version is so different from the other in the series (film as well as score).

It would be a shame if this release were to be dismissed compared to the treatment of films 2 and 3 in the series: I think that this is just as important a release as the Horner titles.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I've never liked Star Trek IV, apart from the overture. It's a major step down, musically from part 1,2 and 3.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012 edited
    No, it is a step away from the mainstream musical tastes. That is slightly different.

It won an ASCAP award and received an Oscar nomination.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's Star Trek goes urban, it's the right kind of score for this film.
  3. Well yes, I only like the film for its comedy, chemistry between actors, doing something different for a Trek adventure. Not the music, that's for sure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Wonderful!
  4. "Columbo: Ransom For A Dead Man"
    By: Billy Goldenberg

Boot with three episode scores and some miscellaneous stuff. I'd never given it a fair play despite having it for years now.

Down to the last track from this episode score and it's good stuff.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    "Columbo: Ransom For A Dead Man"
    By: Billy Goldenberg

Boot with three episode scores and some miscellaneous stuff. I'd never given it a fair play despite having it for years now.

Down to the last track from this episode score and it's good stuff.

I have that boot, it's a superb score.
  5. I quite like that Justin. Some more music from this era needs to be released.
  6. There is litterally a wealth of television scoring from just the '60's to '70's that could take a hundred CD's and hundreds of dollars just to aquire, and a specialty label set up just for TV scoring.

The lsit just goes on & on, from shows I note to ones other score lovers mention. "Hawaii 5-O" (Sadly Lukas said it wasn't possible right now, hence only the LP contents on CD release a bit back), "Columbo", "Gunsmoke", "Bonanza", "The Virginian", still stuff from "Star Trek", "Batman", etc.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Rum Diary - Christopher Young

Brilliant laid-back jazz music. My favourite score of its type since Rolfe Kent's Sideways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's quite good....has anyone seen the film yet?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. John Barry - Dances with Wolves

I think virtually everybody will agree that it is one of the very best scores ever written. cool
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Dances with Wolves

I think virtually everybody will agree that it is one of the very best scores ever written. cool

Not I. Far from it. But I love the John Dunbar theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote

YES, IT IS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Meh.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

YES, IT IS!

-Erik-

Yes. Indeed! FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Not I. Far from it. But I love the John Dunbar theme.

Same here. But I like the wolf theme more than john dunbar theme.