• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That is a great track. Without it the album probably wouldn't have nearly as much replay as it does for me right now. There's another track on that I really like too. A short, almost wistful minute of slow jazzy piano that makes me hanker for a 5 minute version of the same thing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Reviewing my favorite cues of the 2011 for an up coming radio show I can't stop listening to "The Candidate" from Desplat's The Ides of March! One of if not THE catchiest cues of the year! It's like it was ripped out of the funky David Shire/Lalo Schifrin scores from the 70's. Superb recording as well! When those brass burst attack they sound GREAT!

-Erik-

Great score, works amazingly well In the movie too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Cocoon - James Horner

A classic. My favourite Horner score, surely due for an expanded re-release at some point...
  2. WE'RE BACK: A DINOSAUR'S STORY - JAMES HORNER

Seriously underrated! Fun and tremendously enjoyable, the wacky circus cues are among my favourites and the ever beautiful 'Flying Forward in Time' theme is wonderful. Not among his great works of course but I think it deserves more credit.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jim Ware wrote
    Cocoon - James Horner

A classic. My favourite Horner score, surely due for an expanded re-release at some point...

You know what... I watched the film a couple of days ago and I think there's only one or two cues missing! The original presentation (minus that shitty 80's tune) is a superb representation of the score. And expanded treatment, IMO, is unnecessary... but that cue with the dolphins swimming along side the boat is a great unreleased cue.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TWILIGHT ZONE : THE MOVIE - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of my favourite scores/musical-works/things ever. The 'Kick the Can' theme (which I consider the main theme) is the epitome of movie magic!

As much as I love the original album, I always tend to listen to the complete FSM version. I like having the overture at the end.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    One of my favourite scores/musical-works/things ever. The 'Kick the Can' theme (which I consider the main theme) is the epitome of movie magic!

As much as I love the original album, I always tend to listen to the complete FSM version. I like having the overture at the end.

I prefer 'Kick The Can' from the original album format, it's a wondrous piece, JG captures an aching nostalgic feel perfectly and I love the "why you sitting around hoping" bit sung by Scatman Crowthers, I'm in total agreement with you, it IS the epitome of movie magic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Alexandre Desplat - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Beautiful, just beautiful. Desplat's on a roll this year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Am I the only person who found a lot of Phillip Glass influence in this score? Knowing the history of the director, who once worked with Glass and the second time he settled for his assistant (the young Nico Muhly) and actually had Muhly replaced on this score, that would make a lot of sense.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BACKDRAFT - Hans Zimmer

The first Zimmer score that got my attention, very good stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Basil Poledouris - The War at Home

A small orchestral score for Emilio Estevez's post-Vietnam drama. Very personal music for Poledouris, he wrote it right after his father died and he put all those emotions into it. Beautiful themes, without anything particularly lush. A very, very emotional and very short (a tad under 22 minutes) score, that is sadly available only as a promo.

Jeremy's theme always strikes me as being 100% Barry. Such wonderful stuff.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Am I the only person who found a lot of Phillip Glass influence in this score?

Am I the only one who cannot for the life me fathom why people are raving about this score? I've listened to it twice and I fail to see what's so special about it? It's all rather pleasant and pretty, certainly nothing wrong with it, and I'm sure it works quite well in the film (if I ever see the film, it might even change my appreciation of it significantly)… but, at the moment, there's nothing that has me reaching for the volume dial to be turned up. It just sort of meanders in the background...

Though I've never been a fan of minimalism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BACKDRAFT - Hans Zimmer

The first Zimmer score that got my attention, very good stuff!

Good choice. Inspired my listen of...

NP: BEYOND RANGOON - HANS ZIMMER

One of the very few Zimmer scores I listen to. Lovely stuff.

cool
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Am I the only person who found a lot of Phillip Glass influence in this score? Knowing the history of the director, who once worked with Glass and the second time he settled for his assistant (the young Nico Muhly) and actually had Muhly replaced on this score, that would make a lot of sense.

There's a couple of HOURS-like passages, particularly when the piano goes solo. Wouldn't be the first time Desplat bowed to his hero. (Not only that, I hear a little bit of Nico Muhly's READER score here too, but perhaps that's a longer bow.)
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Am I the only person who found a lot of Phillip Glass influence in this score?

Yes. I think that the score sounds Desplat-esque like always. Though Oskar Monologue is a rehash from one of the themes from La Fille Du Puisatier, and Renter Leaves sounds like JNH.
  7. Steven wrote

Though I've never been a fan of minimalism.

Not the right genre/style to reference. This thing's about as minimalist as John Williams Munich or Hans Zimmer's Spanglish. (Not that that makes a difference if you don't like it, but I can't say your tastes are wrong, so I've got to have a go at something. wink )

Can't say I've seen the film either. I almost don't want to. I'd rather not ruin good music with a sentimental 9/11 fable that should have stayed in the book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, whatever genre or style it is, it's not something I usually go for. I don't know much about minimalism, so I suppose I'm using it as a synonym for 'not particularly exciting'.
  8. Steven wrote
    I don't know much about minimalism, so I suppose I'm using it as a synonym for 'not particularly exciting'.

Wit fails me!
    (But, I must remember, 'message board incredulity... ')
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I will say this about Desplat: his scores are great to fall asleep to! And although that sounds like an obviously back-handed comment, it's not -- I actually mean it in the best possible way. Benjamin Button rarely fails to relax me. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Absolutely; so is Thomas Newman imo, i am very glad with their outputs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN POWELL - X-men: the last stand

Pretty awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012 edited
    NP: BRAVE STORY (Ben Watkins)

Superb, fullblooded orchestral score for a 2006 animé film by the Juno Reactor head man. This took me completely by surprise when I discovered it recently. I had no idea Watkins could write for orchestra like that, even though some of JR's compositions have orchestral elements. Colourful, vibrant, thematic "Erik Woods" music! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I loved The Help and The Iron Lady, but I haven't heard the Debt or Adjustment Bureau.
  10. Just to add, while I think this year was seriously lackluster from many major working film composers (namely Zimmer having his worst year in ages and seemingly JNH, whose Green Lantern I didn't even really listen to), the most exciting event for me was the return of Thomas Newman after a long sabbatical and, obviously, John Williams.

War Horse just might be my favorite score of the year, really, followed very closely by Super 8. That said, I haven't heard The Artist yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Trial from Jean Ledrut.
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012 edited
    There is a lot of jazz from the Martial Solal Trio. Very free feeling.

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  11. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Have you listened to The Iron Lady?
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I loved The Help and The Iron Lady, but I haven't heard the Debt or Adjustment Bureau.

The Debt is really cool. It might be a precursor to what he will write when/if he scores Skyfall.
  13. The Adjustment Bureau - Thomas Newman

I think I may have written this off too quickly. I like it a little more after a second listen.