• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    Southall wrote
    The Iron Lady - Thomas Newman

Wonderful music. The Help is good too, but I think this is the strongest album to come from him in quite some time.

Indeed, One of the best compositions in film this year, from an overall wonderful score http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAL_OFdkl4w THOMAS NEWMAN's "the iron lady"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim - Jeremy Soule

punk

Hands-down best game score for 2011.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote

punk

Demetris, does the 5-track* "sampler" reflect the score as a whole?

*This sampler contains the following tracks:

01. Dragonborn (3:57)
    02. Under An Ancient Sun (3:41)
    03. The Streets of Whiterun (4:06)
    04. Sky Above, Voice Within (3:58)
    05. Dragonsreach (2:20)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, but if you go to ifmca you'll see that there's also the full promo smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Wonderful music. The Help is good too, but I think this is the strongest album to come from him in quite some time.

Indeed, One of the best compositions in film this year, from an overall wonderful score http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAL_OFdkl4w THOMAS NEWMAN's "the iron lady"

What's Thatcher's theme like? Anything like THIS should suffice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Demetris wrote
    No, but if you go to ifmca you'll see that there's also the full promo smile

Is there?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, just today.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Yeap, just today.

Cheers! Listening to it now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

What's Thatcher's theme like? Anything like THIS should suffice.

The theme I posted is much more apt! tongue

I like what I hear of this score though, very good stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    RACHEL PORTMAN - snow flower and the secret fan

Gorgeous, utterly gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Ides of March - Alexandre Desplat

It's been another remarkable year for him, really. I was disappointed in his Potter but otherwise everything's been strong and some has been very strong (this score a bit of a mixture between the two).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Oh, and besides the usual highlights I was ( not for the first time ) struck by Morricone's desert music, just listening to that piece I could feel the intensity of the sun beating down on me, my mouth drying and my lips cracking and a desperate lust for water, no one, and I MEAN no one writes music for blisteringly hot deserts like the maestro, wonderful wonderful scoring!

I have nothing to add to this post. Perfection.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Angels in America (Thomas Newman)

I like the main title theme alot. Besides that there are some tracks that are pretty neat, but most tracks do little for me. I'm puzzled why so many newmanites consider this one their fave.

Peter smile
  4. 'Quartet' is a favourite from that album for me. But three main themes -- the title theme, 'Tropopause' and 'The Great Work Begins' are also stunning melodies, each in their own right. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    'Quartet' is a favourite from that album for me. But three main themes -- the title theme, 'Tropopause' and 'The Great Work Begins' are also stunning melodies, each in their own right. smile

Admittedly, I've only heard two thirds of the album so far, so I've yet to hear "Tropopause" and "The great work begins".

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

An AWESOME score, big, ballsy and full of themes.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote

punk

I think that this is a solid score and may be Soule's best game score to date. But, for me anyway, it's not a clear-cut winner by any means.
  6. plindboe wrote

I like the main title theme alot. Besides that there are some tracks that are pretty neat, but most tracks do little for me. I'm puzzled why so many newmanites consider this one their fave.

Peter smile

"Black Angel" is one of the most horrifying cues I've ever heard.

Personally, I consider Road to Perdition my favorite Newman score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

An AWESOME score, big, ballsy and full of themes.

I merely like it, I don't love it.

I'll pick Saturn 3, Ghostbusters or Slipstream over this most of the time, which speak to me more. Ghostbusters is a childhood favourite so that's obvious.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote

punk

I think that this is a solid score and may be Soule's best game score to date. But, for me anyway, it's not a clear-cut winner by any means.

It definitely is Soule's best effort, half of the tracks on the complete soundtrack are good to great. I recall having to listen to 3-4 hours of Soule's mind-numbing gamerips, featuring practically a few thematic cues and all the rest bland ambient underscore. So Skyrim is pretty much stunning in comparison.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

My favourite from Newman. I think it's a superb work!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE MANS - Michel Legrand

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Flatliners James Newton Howard

Well, just the one track actually; 'Redemption'. I think it was Gilles who brought this to my attention? I can't remember. But I'm glad someone did... it's one of the best things I've heard from JNH.
  8. Yeah either I or Thor mentioned it. It's easily the highlight of the score and I wonder why it's at the beginning of the bootleg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesome track and score, yes!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    LSH wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

My favourite from Newman. I think it's a superb work!

I only found a third of the tracks worth listening to. Tracks 2, 4, 12, 14, 22, 24, 28, 29, 30 make a nice 23 minute album though. The rest doesn't interest me much,

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah either I or Thor mentioned it. It's easily the highlight of the score and I wonder why it's at the beginning of the bootleg.

yeah, it was Thor who pointed it out to me, changed my formerly negative opinion on it. cool
  9. Basil Poledouris - The War at Home

A small orchestral score for Emilio Estevez's post-Vietnam drama. Very personal music for Poledouris, he wrote it right after his father died and he put all those emotions into it. Beautiful themes, without anything particularly lush. A very, very emotional and very short (a tad under 22 minutes) score, that is sadly available only as a promo.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. There is a 70 minute promo of that one, but the essentials of it could fit into 20-30 minutes. The best of it is beautiful.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012 edited
    Reviewing my favorite cues of the 2011 for an up coming radio show I can't stop listening to "The Candidate" from Desplat's The Ides of March! One of if not THE catchiest cues of the year! It's like it was ripped out of the funky David Shire/Lalo Schifrin scores from the 70's. Superb recording as well! When those brass burst attack they sound GREAT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!