• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012
    NP : THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone

Magnificent score to a magnificent movie cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    War Horse still hasn't come in !!! Holiday delays and all that crap... angry

And I really want to listen.

I'm patient! Only a week or so to go. wink

The film or the score?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The score of course! ( even though I weakened and did hear a few tracks wink ) I quite fancy seeing the film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As bregt might have once said, the themes are brain sticky. Plus it has a proper suite at the end, unlike Tintin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...though bear in mind I'm a wee bit obsessive about Williams.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    ...though bear in mind I'm a wee bit obsessive about Williams.

I can't imagine why??? confused

....oh wait, you used to call yourself Ultimate Wwwwwwwwwwwwwuhhhh................ ( dragged off )
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

punkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunk ...and... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUNSHINE (John Murphy)

Dark and foreboding, but also quite hypnotic. Underrated score for a REALLY underrated film.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I agree.
  2. Thor wrote

Dark and foreboding, but also quite hypnotic. Underrated score for a REALLY underrated film.

Are the tracks littered with dialogue and sound effects?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

No, no effects and dialogue.

There are some more 'horror'-ey moments that don't really suit my fancy (stingers and stuff), but the more atmospheric cues are nice.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thanks. I heard some dialogue on a clip from track on iTunes and wondered if this was characteristic of the album as a whole.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks. I heard some dialogue on a clip from track on iTunes and wondered if this was characteristic of the album as a whole.

Maybe there could be several albums? One with dialogue/FX and one without?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks. I heard some dialogue on a clip from track on iTunes and wondered if this was characteristic of the album as a whole.

Maybe there could be several albums? One with dialogue/FX and one without?

Perhaps, but there's only one version available on iTunes at the moment: 19 tracks. I do have a 20-track version but I think that this version is a poor-quality DVD rip and does feature SFX/dialogue bleed-through.
  5. SUNSHINE is an interesting film, but it's descent into EVENT HORIZON 2 territory for the second half was a disappointment to me. It felt like a shlocky subplot grew oversized and swallowed the strangely mythic movie I was enjoying.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

No, no effects and dialogue.

There are some more 'horror'-ey moments that don't really suit my fancy (stingers and stuff), but the more atmospheric cues are nice.

The version from iTunes does have at least 3 tracks that features dialogue. Most of the rest is not particularly interesting to my ears save for the "Adagio In D Minor" tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    SUNSHINE is an interesting film, but it's descent into EVENT HORIZON 2 territory for the second half was a disappointment to me. It felt like a shlocky subplot grew oversized and swallowed the strangely mythic movie I was enjoying.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    SUNSHINE is an interesting film, but it's descent into EVENT HORIZON 2 territory for the second half was a disappointment to me. It felt like a shlocky subplot grew oversized and swallowed the strangely mythic movie I was enjoying.

yeah

yeah double!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

punkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunk ...and... punk

It's not exactly a surprise that you would agree with me but still, let's drink to that, salute! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, and besides the usual highlights I was ( not for the first time ) struck by Morricone's desert music, just listening to that piece I could feel the intensity of the sun beating down on me, my mouth drying and my lips cracking and a desperate lust for water, no one, and I MEAN no one writes music for blisteringly hot deserts like the maestro, wonderful wonderful scoring!
  7. Timmer wrote
    Oh, and besides the usual highlights I was ( not for the first time ) struck by Morricone's desert music, just listening to that piece I could feel the intensity of the sun beating down on me, my mouth drying and my lips cracking and a desperate lust for water, no one, and I MEAN no one writes music for blisteringly hot deserts like the maestro, wonderful wonderful scoring!

Morricone can certainly do the extremes! The hot desert music of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and the cold desolation of The Thing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote

I don't agree. I think it pretty much holds up in that whole sequence, a surprising shift of tone that is somehow very fulfilling. Then again, I'm a BIG fan of EVENT HORIZON, also an extremely underrated film.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I like EVENT HORIZON more -- but that film was always headed that way. It's less of a tonal shift there.
    I guess once I heard that a lot of the second half of SUNSHINE was rewritten in shooting/editing with a bit of changing, it made more sense of why the film set up one set of questions/characters, only to resolve with quite a different set. (I think the Cliff Curtis doctor was meant to serve the function that the character of Pinbacker was introduced to serve.)
    Can we at least agree that SUPERNOVA is shit? wink
  9. I remember coming out of seeing Sunshine and wondering if I had seen two movies. It seemed to me (and Anne) that the latter part had just been bolted on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim - Jeremy Soule

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like EVENT HORIZON more -- but that film was always headed that way. It's less of a tonal shift there.
    I guess once I heard that a lot of the second half of SUNSHINE was rewritten in shooting/editing with a bit of changing, it made more sense of why the film set up one set of questions/characters, only to resolve with quite a different set. (I think the Cliff Curtis doctor was meant to serve the function that the character of Pinbacker was introduced to serve.)
    Can we at least agree that SUPERNOVA is shit? wink

We can, although that is not without a few qualities either.

The spaceship/spacestation/underwater/etc.-film that takes place in isolated environments is a sub-genre very close to my heart, so I'm a bit forgiving. But not altogether, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. As long as there's not too much content in the dialogue, I suppose... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Morricone can certainly do the extremes! The hot desert music of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and the cold desolation of The Thing!

Very true Alan. As for The Thing, Morricone is one of only two composers who perfectly nails the bleakness of the Antarctic wilderness, the other composer using a different and equally effective approach being Vaughan Williams Scott of The Antarctic.