• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2011
    Over three hours of twisted shit right here! wink

devil

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Liberty Heights - Andrea Morricone

Spectacularly beautiful music full of whimsy.

Indeed, gorgeous score with some excellent themes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Here's the link (UK only)

I can hear it in Denmark. Might try it out tomorrow.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: "The Devil In Music" - BBC Radio 3 broadcast

I missed this earlier today and have just started to listen to it. Composer Christopher Young doing a show for BBC Radio 3?!?!

Here's the information for the programme:

"Film composer Christopher Young, who has scored Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Hellraiser, and Drag Me to Hell, discovers how his musical scare tactics are inspired by the past.

Throughout the programme, Christopher Young examines how a composer makes an audience jump in terror. He discovers how his own devilish compositions are inspired by the works of Wagner, Berlioz and Liszt. Surprising connections are drawn between classic horror scenes and demonically inspired operas and symphonies.

The programme starts with an investigation of the relationship between the devil and the violin, embodied in the life and legend of Niccolo Paganini. With musicologist Maiko Kawabata and violinist Philippe Quint, Christopher considers the devil's role in musical complexity.

The tritone is a musical interval nicknamed Diabolus in Musica. It was generally avoided by medieval composers due to the chaos it created within harmony. Goldsmith's Lecturer in Music Anthony Pryer dissects the unsettling nature of the Devil in Music. Along the way, Christopher discovers what many musicologists consider to be the first horror scene: The Wolf's Glen scene from Der Freischutz, an 1822 opera by Carl Maria Von Weber. With University of Leeds Professor of Critical Musicology Derek Scott, Christopher examines Mozart's Don Giovanni and Franz Liszt's Faust Symphony. King Edward Professor of Music at King's John Deathridge helps Christopher to discover the demonic techniques developed by Richard Wagner. Horror music expert Stan Link examines Hector Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, while identifying the sensorial similarities between horror films and classic Romantic works."

Maybe this may be better placed in the "Now Playing ( NON film / game / tv scores )" topic?

Here's the link (UK only)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … _in_music/

I knew nothing about this. Thanks for this Alan, I'm going to give it a listen later today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP : Anonymous - Kloser and Wander

Absolutly gorgeous! Fully orchestral, with some beautiful choral moments (nice to hear a choir with a good mix, not buried under the orchestra). Edward's theme is very simple, but very melancholic with the cello/violin renditions.
  2. Is it better than their last two Emmerich scores? I thought those were rather lacking, with only brief highlights.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Programmes on iPlayer tend to have a "UK only" restriction. I have seen several people mention that it is available. So take the chance and have a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I don't own an iAnything, nor do I want to.

Found multiple tracks on YouTube -- I didn't even know a CD was out!
    Very different effort from Kloser & Wanker this time, and sounds very nice (after tracks 1 and 3, so far).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    iPlayer is like YouTube. It's a website, not a device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That Young program is interesting (available in Norway too). I actually talked a little bit about the same thing on the radio in relation to a Halloween program just a couple of weeks ago.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Is it better than their last two Emmerich scores? I thought those were rather lacking, with only brief highlights.

It is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLe7W47FR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_CJpBXppg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2011 edited
    I just had to play this...

NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

If you've never heard any of this score please give 2.42 of your time to give this achingly beautiful piece a listen to.

FILBY'S THEME

Russell Garcia ( 12th April 1916 - 19th November 2011 ) sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that theme is fantastic. Very Delerue-ish.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Random iTunes

Great thing to do when you want to listen to something but can't decide what to listen to. Great way to discover things you never knew you had/liked.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

A truly fine piece of work considering Hans Zimmer's standards. Beautiful, dramatic, and aggressive when it needs to be. A very well-compiled album too. I like how it is not "overmixed" with sampled instruments like Gladiator. And the gapless approach of the album helps a lot to develop the mood and atmosphere of the music. It is also a rare album where I thought the choice of solo cello performances has actually added more emotional depth to the music, especially during the last minute of "A Small Measure of Peace". (Mind you, I usually find it annoying how each and every Hans Zimmer score has a solo cello in its mix).

Perhaps the only disappointing aspect of this album is those loud sampled-brass overlays (if that is the term I should use). I can see how that might help the music survive those loud sound effects in the film but on the album, we really didn't need that boost.
  6. Have you heard The Thin Red Line, Blu?

Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor (2010)

Yes, I really like this score. I think it's underrated and it is Ramin Djawadi's best work to date.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Following Pawel's choice of composer
    NP: Game of Thrones ~ Ramin Djawadi
    Just fantastic!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of my very favourite scores. I always lamented the fact Barry never got the oportunity to write more choral scores but then, Barry never put choir in just for the sake of it, this is an intelligent score to an intelligent and beautifully shot film.....plus it has Jenny Aguter swimming nekid ( hey, I never claimed to be intelligent wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jane Eyre (Suite) John Williams

This is a fan made suite, but it's actually very good. There's some wonderful performances and renditions of pieces from the original score in this suite, so I'm wondering just how many re-recordings of Williams' Jane Eyre there are out there? (The two that I know of are Gehardt's and Prague's.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    Random iTunes

Great thing to do when you want to listen to something but can't decide what to listen to. Great way to discover things you never knew you had/liked.

QFT

Especially in the olden CD days some albums were played once or twice and then forgotten about. Playing one's entire collection on random in itunes is like going treasure hunting.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    Random iTunes

QFT

True! Quantum field theory also deals with randomness ololololI'msosorryolololol!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Jane Eyre (Suite) John Williams

This is a fan made suite, but it's actually very good. There's some wonderful performances and renditions of pieces from the original score in this suite, so I'm wondering just how many re-recordings of Williams' Jane Eyre there are out there? (The two that I know of are Gehardt's and Prague's.)

Williams conducted the concert suite (At Lowood/To Thornfield/The Return) with the Boston Pops on the album Pops Britannia.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. NP: Chillerama: Zom-B-Movie - Bear McCreary

One final listen before I put this album away - forever!

Review coming soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    True! Quantum field theory also deals with randomness ololololI'msosorryolololol!

Don't being silly, I was of course referring to quantitative feedback theory. Duh!

Peter face-palm-mt
  8. Harry Gregson-Williams - Arthur Christmas

First listen.

A very nice animation score. Some John Barry/David Arnold and John Williams references too!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Stavroula wrote
    Just fantastic!

Not to continue a sniping war on everyone who brings this score up here, but please elaborate on its treasures, for I have yet to understand them myself. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. NP: Onegin (Magnus Fiennes)

The mixture of score and classical is a moody favourite of mine. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Just fantastic!

Not to continue a sniping war on everyone who brings this score up here, but please elaborate on its treasures, for I have yet to understand them myself. wink

Well it's kinda like good in the show and some of the tracks on the album are good n that, not to be too technical. I've heard the Cd a couple of times and it has its moments.
    Does that clear things up?

Man, I'm tired and silly (late night!).
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of my very favourite scores. I always lamented the fact Barry never got the oportunity to write more choral scores but then, Barry never put choir in just for the sake of it, this is an intelligent score to an intelligent and beautifully shot film.....plus it has Jenny Aguter swimming nekid ( hey, I never claimed to be intelligent wink )

I have a really strong desire to see this film. Haha, not quite based on your comment. Huge fan of the score as well, and desire to see it matched with picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    War Horse - John Williams

I've gotten my hands on this score and have been unable to stop listening to it. I will be ordering an actual physical copy tomorrow. Sorry. I could not wait to get my hands on this one. Yes, I cheated and feel awful.

Spectacular score in every way.

The frequent nods to Ralph Vaughan Williams (One of my favorite composers) added to the mastery and brilliance is unequivocal in its greatness. I will now be able to stop listening to this and Vaughan Williams for at least two weeks solid.