• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    n.p. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Dinosaur

Why does the composer of something like this need to write as he did for the new Bournce? It baffles me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Why does the composer of something like this need to write as he did for the new Bournce? It baffles me.

Beats me!? rolleyes

I did like the track that Bregje put on FB from Snow White and The Huntsman, is the rest of the score worthwhile?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Beats me!? rolleyes

I did like the track that Bregje put on FB from Snow White and The Huntsman, is the rest of the score worthwhile?

Not at this level of Dinosaur, but if you liked the track Bregje pointed to, surely you'll love the rest of the score. Use her 2 tracks along with my reply below her post as a guide. I found Snowwhite a pretty good score, unlike the horrible Bourne and Green Lantern.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes I will check it out, thanks D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Hans Zimmer - Tears of the Sun

And so many others. I really like this score, to me it actually saved the movie from being total drivel, there are actually some *emotions* to the music.

Now on the final two tracks, which to me are a masterpiece, I also love Small Piece for Doumbek and Strings. Some of more interesting technical elements from Hans here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Tears of the Sun

And so many others. I really like this score, to me it actually saved the movie from being total drivel, there are actually some *emotions* to the music.

Now on the final two tracks, which to me are a masterpiece, I also love Small Piece for Doumbek and Strings. Some of more interesting technical elements from Hans here.

Yeap, what he did with the KOPANO material is very admirable. Love the score too. the movie is very cheesy. The only reason i sat through that was to listen to the score on-screen!

n.p. HANS ZIMMER - Backdraft

Showcases a completely different scoring approach to what he does today; it's evident in every single note of this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Tears of the Sun

Yeap, what he did with the KOPANO material is very admirable. Love the score too. the movie is very cheesy. The only reason i sat through that was to listen to the score on-screen!

Likewise - thought the film was terrible. Those last two album tracks of the score are really very strong, however.

Sahara - Ennio Morricone

This goes on a bit. Surprisingly conventional, too - one of the most Hollywoodish scores of his career. Not a favourite, but it still has its moments of real quality, especially the lengthy "Battle".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, and it's a source of inspiration for Zimmer apparently.

still playing Backdraft.

Enjoying it, except for the now-horribly-dated synths on cues like "Burn it all".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote

Not quite! This is Sahara, not Secret of the Sahara.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote

still playing Backdraft.

Enjoying it, except for the now-horribly-dated synths on cues like "Burn it all".

I don't really mind those dated synths, I find it a part of it's charm. I bought this score when it came out in 1991, does that mean I had a Zimmer score before ALL the Zimmer fans here? cheesy
  2. Rather. But, found under the cash register in an obscure American shop by my family, Backdraft was the second Hans Zimmer score I owned back in mid-90s and my second score album overall. It was 1997 I think.

My third soundtrack, the first one also happened to feature a selection of a Hans Zimmer score and it was, well

(checks if Steven is lurking)

bunny

The Lion King.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote

Not quite! This is Sahara, not Secret of the Sahara.

OopS?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

still playing Backdraft.

I don't really mind those dated synths, I find it a part of it's charm. I bought this score when it came out in 1991, does that mean I had a Zimmer score before ALL the Zimmer fans here? cheesy

Not generally in the whole score, but just track 6 which constantly changes and it lacks melody; kinda reminded me of Goldsmith's synth farts smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Spider-man was because Sony didn't want to let the rights revert back to Marvel. Their contract said they lose the rights if they don't make a movie within a certain amount of time.

Bourne I think is supposed to be more of an expansion than a reboot...its not a retelling of the same story with different actors, like Spidey...

In any event, I agree with you, I'd rather see more original IPs and stories where there might be some doubt as to what's going to happen...lol

Why does it all seem eerily possible to me? Eugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2aV2fEeMM
  3. I've been listening non-stop to Thomas Newman's theme for the TV show The Newsroom. It's classic Newman. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tears of the Sun - Hans Zimmer

Thanks Pawel for reminding me of this, which I hadn't listened to in a long time. It's stronger than I remembered throughout - I knew I liked the last couple of tracks but actually all of it is good. Very nice album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    Why does it all seem eerily possible to me? Eugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2aV2fEeMM

Please God no...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHER LENNERTZ - Starhawk

If you like to hear an Americana version of Bear McCrearisms, this is for you. Not bad at all.
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct (Prometheus)

Great edition, good to hear this score expanded. Jerry seems to have hated most of the expanded editions, but he took a liking in this one, well, I can see why.

Brilliant score, I need to find it and buy it when money permits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not at this level of Dinosaur, but if you liked the track Bregje pointed to, surely you'll love the rest of the score. Use her 2 tracks along with my reply below her post as a guide. I found Snowwhite a pretty good score, unlike the horrible Bourne and Green Lantern.

I think for these tracks it is absolutely worth checking out:

Snow White and the Huntsman
    1. Snow White
    4. Something For What Ails You
    9. Fenland in Flames
    10. Sanctuary
    11. White Hart
    (minus the last two minutes...)

There is great stuff written for cello and violin, especially in track 4 and you've already heard 10. White Hart is my favourite now, typical JNH-thingy in there (a bit Hand of Fate-like between 1:45-2:15, excellent!)

I think I'm going to give this score some rest now. OD risk.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct (Prometheus)

Great edition, good to hear this score expanded. Jerry seems to have hated most of the expanded editions, but he took a liking in this one, well, I can see why.

Brilliant score, I need to find it and buy it when money permits.

I had the Varese, decided to get the Prometheus, got rid of the Varese, and discovered I found the Prometheus too long and actually preferred the Varese. Oh well I can still program the cues from the Varese whenever I want. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Lord of the rings: return of the King

Safe to say it's the least favorite score of the three for me, by far.
  6. Funny, I listened to it yesterday and I actually liked it more this time around. But yeah the original albums of both part I and II are what I prefer too. I would have loved a big emotional ending in ROTK, much more like the one for TTT but Shore kept it rather low-key and restrained. Which is not a bad thing and exactly what the movie needed. But as a score fan I would have loved it to end on the most satisfying climax ever, because it doesn't.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DARK CITY - TREVOR JONES

Love it ! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    LOTR 1 and 2 are way darker, more massive and generally far more "epic" than the third album that feels too varied and stylistically confused to me.

n.p. THOMAS NEWMAN - Finding Nemo

Makes for a nice score in a great movie and a terribly disjoined listening experience on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    DARK CITY - TREVOR JONES

Love it ! love

Me too smile
  8. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    DARK CITY - TREVOR JONES

Love it ! love

Me too smile

Especially that glorious finale ! My god it's breathtaking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm not quite understanding the comment about ROTK's ending being low-key and restrained...how is expanding the choir to absolutely operatic depth not the most epic climax possible? Maybe I misunderstood...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. Hans Zimmer - Angels and Demons

I forgot how much fun this one is. Science and Religion, 160 BPM and the final pieces are very cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Lord of the rings: return of the King

Safe to say it's the least favorite score of the three for me, by far.

It's the worst of the original albums but the best of the expanded editions. So much outstanding music missing from the rather dull original album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!