• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012 edited
    Spider-man was because Sony didn't want to let the rights revert back to Marvel. Their contract said they lose the rights if they don't make a movie within a certain amount of time.

Bourne I think is supposed to be more of an expansion than a reboot...its not a retelling of the same story with different actors, like Spidey...

In any event, I agree with you, I'd rather see more original IPs and stories where there might be some doubt as to what's going to happen...lol
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    Jurassic Park 4 is scheduled for 2014 but its not a reboot...

I'm not sure its a lack of inspiration, there are plenty of great scripts and story ideas that never get made, rather they're obsessed with the idea that previously known franchises are more likely to make money...so they're scared to do anything too new or different.

I think that's pretty much it.

Also coming soon is ROBOCOP rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CARRIE - Pino Donaggio

Superb score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Jurassic Park 4 is scheduled for 2014 but its not a reboot...

I'm not sure its a lack of inspiration, there are plenty of great scripts and story ideas that never get made, rather they're obsessed with the idea that previously known franchises are more likely to make money...so they're scared to do anything too new or different.

I think that's pretty much it.

Also coming soon is ROBOCOP rolleyes

And they also want to redo Starship Troopers.

So that makes Total Recall, Robocop and Starship Troopers, all good Verhoeven films, all having excellent scores which will now turn out to be completely awful reboot scores. The future is looking more grim all the time. That's why I practically never listen to anything new anymore. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can't wait for the reboot of Showgirls!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Ah yes that could turn out to be a good one... if it's in 3D. lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Bourne Legacy - James Newton Howard

It's sort of half a Powell impersonation and half Gregson-Williams/Tony Scott style. But the Powell impersonation isn't as good as real Powell (and isn't even as good as JNH's previous Powell impersonations) and the Gregson-Williams/Tony Scott stuff is as bad as the real thing. There's so little energy in it, it all sounds pretty half-hearted really. Disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012 edited
    (...and, yet another "James Newton Howard" score that doesn't sound anything like James Newton Howard... seriously, you've got all the money you ever need, why not do stuff that really means something to you and write music of real feeling?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You have a strong point there James, personally JNH has just about dropped off my radar concerning wanting to hear his new scores, a shame as I considered him one of the remaining shining lights in film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Maybe his lifelong dream is to become a part of RC Studios and he's trying to prove to Zimmer that he's got what it takes....

cheesy
  3. Timmer wrote
    You have a strong point there James, personally JNH has just about dropped off my radar concerning wanting to hear his new scores, a shame as I considered him one of the remaining shining lights in film music.

Me too I haven't heard anything since 'The Last Airbender'. I just don't care what he comes up with anymore, but I used to before.
  4. I think unless Newton Howard is working with Shyamalan, he just doesn't feel it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Revolver - Ennio Morricone

What a score this is, brimming with style and sophistication. The lovely main theme is great enough, the action music completely gripping. That 13 minute action track is a Morricone masterpiece. Quite spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    Southall wrote

What a score this is, brimming with style and sophistication. The lovely main theme is great enough, the action music completely gripping. That 13 minute action track is a Morricone masterpiece. Quite spectacular.

...and the Vivaldi with a drumkit... and the sheer brilliance of tracks called "In Un Bar" and "In Un Altro Bar"... and the French vocal version of the theme... this man's creativity is simply endless. He truly is film music's one true genius.
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct

I forgot how amazing this is. I must own it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Maybe his lifelong dream is to become a part of RC Studios and he's trying to prove to Zimmer that he's got what it takes....

cheesy

You joke about it but I am worried that this might actually be truth! Worried about his future incomes and pension much ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

...and the Vivaldi with a drumkit... and the sheer brilliance of tracks called "In Un Bar" and "In Un Altro Bar"... and the French vocal version of the theme... this man's creativity is simply endless. He truly is film music's one true genius.

TRUE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Me too I haven't heard anything since 'The Last Airbender'. I just don't care what he comes up with anymore, but I used to before.

I like Snow White. But I haven't heard The Last Airbender.
    I noticed reviews of Snow White refer to the The Last Airbender and gave me the impression I certainly need to hear that one too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I noticed reviews of Snow White refer to the The Last Airbender and gave me the impression I certainly need to hear that one too!

BREGJE, the last airbender contains "flow like water" which is one of the best compositions he ever wrote; boy you're in for a big surprise!

MARK ISHAM - Racing Stripes

Shame he has mostly gone off to the electronic soundscapes' route during the last few years and his recent Dolphin score wasn't up to the Stripes' standards, at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

Nice to start the day off with an all time classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    BREGJE, the last airbender contains "flow like water" which is one of the best compositions he ever wrote; boy you're in for a big surprise!

Yes, Bregje, I second this! Listen to at least Flow Like Water! You'll love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited
    Good to know there's more great stuff to explore! cheesy
    Thanks.

Something totally different: I was just listening to some Armageddon... I've said before how I think that the 'astronauts theme' (not sure if it is called that) is a brilliant theme and a favourite of mine. I'm just imagining what for instance Trevor Jones could do with such a theme...
  6. Demetris wrote
    Bregje wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

MARK ISHAM - Racing Stripes

Shame he has mostly gone off to the electronic soundscapes' route during the last few years and his recent Dolphin score wasn't up to the Stripes' standards, at all.

Racing Stripes is one of Isham's most enjoyable albums, what a colorful riveting orchestral experience.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Dolphin Tale and Once Upon a Time are both incredibly generic and boring (here I am breaking my principles about only saying positive stuff about scores, lol), I got into Isham after hearing Fly Away Home and The Secret Life of Bees, only to find that his more recent stuff is of a shockingly lower grade slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FLY AWAY HOME is a marvelous score.

NP : MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS - John Barry

Beautiful, Oscar nominated score that never outstays it's 28 minute running time, a shame the complete score couldn't be released ( there's some good stuff in the film left out ) but I'm still most thankful for this Intrada release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE COTTON CLUB - John Barry & Various Artists

a great album with some classic old tracks ( all freshly recreated for the period of the film ) such as Ill Wind, Mood Indigo, Minnie The Moocher etc, only two tracks from master Barry, the score is excellent and it would be wonderful if this could one day get a full score album release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Inkheart ~ Javier Navarrete

I need a bit of a fairytale quality so I've started with that and I will go on thus.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote

I need a bit of a fairytale quality so I've started with that and I will go on thus.

Absolutely gorgeous. Next: Pan's Labyrinth!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Absolutely gorgeous. Next: Pan's Labyrinth!

Then: Cracks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, Bob. Indeed, i remember how much i loved the movie and fell in love with that piano-driven gorgeous score after i watched it. He's a very good composer imo.