• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: A Troll in Central Park (Robert Folk)

Though I'm a Folk fan, I find it difficult to get some kind of appreciation for this score. There are really wonderful parts, but also some crazy pieces. Guess I'm not in the mood for this today, I will try again some other day.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Prometheus Streitenfeld

Again. Really loving this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012
    I just played Prometheus to a film composer friend tonight and he was quite impressed with what he heard.
    I'm really quite won over with this score. Bring on the film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Wars: Kinetic - Gordy Haab & Kyle Newmaster

Quite liking this video game score - and very much in the style of John Williams. Take a listen here:

http://soundcloud.com/zachcw3pr/sets/ki … oundtrack/

I'm listening to this again. It's fun but there's no substance. Come on, this is Star Wars. Where are the themes? Just frenetic, break-neck speed action music without much direction!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Wars: Kinetic - Gordy Haab & Kyle Newmaster

Quite liking this video game score - and very much in the style of John Williams. Take a listen here:

I'm listening to this again. It's fun but there's no substance. Come on, this is Star Wars. Where are the themes? Just frenetic, break-neck speed action music without much direction!

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. THE AVENGERS - SILVESTRI

Oh my! Silvestri has forgotten how to compose awesome action scores. This sounds aimless, dull, uninspired. And the constant starting and stopping (as Thomas puts it in his review) gets on my nerves, the way he starts an idea, than ends it with that trademark Silvestri bang, only seconds later. A couple of hints of a theme early on, but even when the theme erupts full force at the end it fails to impress because I've dozed off much earlier.

I think Captain America is slightly better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PRINCESS MONONOKE - Joe Hisaishi

Very good score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Wars: Kinect - Gordy Haab & Kyle Newmaster

-Erik-

I can't imagine that there's much need for themes in the Kinect game - too much to distract actually playing the game! "Frenetic, break-neck speed action music" is definitely prequel Star Wars film scoring!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012 edited
    I'm not talking about concert suites or anything like that... I'm talking about some sort of motif to grab a hold of... or at least utilize the already established themes in the score somewhere.

I will say this though... there's is some impressive writing going on in the score. I can't imagine how many notes were written! And the LSO performed the shit out of the score! It just so damn busy all the time and pretty much the same sort of action music all the time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm not talking about concert suites or anything like that... I'm talking about some sort of motif to grab a hold of... or at least utilize the already established themes in the score somewhere.

-Erik-

I thought that's what you meant. I am not sure where I was being vague. Anyway, it's not that important.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I was just expanding on my thought just to be clear to everyone where I was coming from. Oh well... shame

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE INCREDIBLES - Michael Giacchino

Great stuff! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Piranha 3DD - Elia Cmiral

Not the greatest score I've ever heard.
  6. James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars

Lovely, lovely score. I always liked this one and my original CD was in the mail today in pristine quality.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Southall wrote
    Piranha 3DD - Elia Cmiral

Not the greatest score I've ever heard.

Ah, fuck. I had such high hopes for Piranha 3DD.

tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    De Rouille et d'Os - Alexandre Desplat

It's very slow, very minimal in its orchestration - I'm sure most people wouldn't like it. I think it's seriously good. Almost trance-like. Brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Paycheck - John Powell

This is the best thing John Powell has ever written. Why can't he do more like this? That is all.
  8. Southall wrote
    De Rouille et d'Os - Alexandre Desplat

It's very slow, very minimal in its orchestration - I'm sure most people wouldn't like it. I think it's seriously good. Almost trance-like. Brilliant.

What? Where? Who? When?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    Anthony wrote
    Paycheck - John Powell

This is the best thing John Powell has ever written. Why can't he do more like this? That is all.

I like it but it's nowhere near as good as BOURNE SUPREMACY.

IMO of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Paycheck - John Powell

IMO of course.

Tough choice. Even tougher if you add BOURNE ULTIMATUM.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  9. LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE OF LIFE - ALAN SILVESTRI

Now this I prefer over his latest offerings. At least this isn't as boring, which is a major plus. Even though the cues involving electronics can be a bit stale, the rest is good old Silvestri action scoring with a nice enough theme.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Paycheck - John Powell

IMO of course.

Tough choice. Even tougher if you add BOURNE ULTIMATUM.

To me?

Hog Chase Part II < To the Roof < Tangiers.
  11. Today I have a lot of work to do, but it doesn't impair my music listening and after a listen to my newly acquired Snow Falling on Cedars, of which I will give my deeper analysis later in this thread, my plan is to have a Jerry Goldsmith day and go through the whole Rambo trilogy in sequence. So:

Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

The Intrada release.

Brilliant angry action score, which is a perfect musical realisation of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder which Rambo clearly suffers from. Heavily psychologised score, being right in the mind of the character (a characteristics which is also the quality of the best Hans Zimmer scores, one of the reasons why I stay loyal to him after 16 years of listening). So many great setpieces, with Hanging On being the best one for me. The Truck is also brilliant, but in general this is a hell of an angry action score with a lot to enjoy. The Intrada release is the complete and chronological program (Hi, Thor wave !) which to me plays better to the heavily edited Goldsmith's original program of the score. It's just so structurally fascinating. And when it comes to the whole score in full, the Varese/Intrada original albums lack maybe about 2-3 minutes of the material (mostly single bar cuts, as the liner notes say). The chronological program though IMO makes the best use of the score as it is.

I didn't review the Intrada release for my website, because I wrote review of the original Varese release long before Intrada did this one.
  12. Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood Part II

The "fun" score of the lot. Goldsmith takes the structure of First Blood (including a recurring alernate 5/8-7/8 figure - the Intrada liner notes falsely call the "Rambo motif" as a 5/8 motif, because it's really an alternating 5/8-7/8 pattern, which in Part II gets changed into a 3 x 5/8 to 7/8 one) and the main theme to develop it into a fully blown patriotic action score. No anger this time, just pure fun.

From all popular big action projects from Jerry this one is probably the least intellectual. In fact the construction of it is quite simplistic, especially if you look at how Goldsmith uses cliches (the Russian theme and some of the ethnic material, it's pure cliche). But somehow the genius of the composer makes it an action score masterpiece. I usually have a strong preference to more intellectual works - Tora! Tora! Tora! is one of my all-time favourites from that score and hearing some of those ideas to crop up in Chinatown basically sold that score to me - but this one is a plain masterpiece. Of course I do prefer the psychological aspect of First Blood, just because I have that intellectual preference, especially since a few years and my discovery of the work of Alexandre Desplat, but this one is just plain fun.

The new theme Goldsmith wrote for the project is the classic Goldsmith concept of an action movie theme - a simple idea which is so rhythmic and instantly recognizable that you can basically put it anywhere just to add to the rhythmic qualities of the cue. Brilliant simple idea and always very effective.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THIS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote

A lovely show and the man had, as you would expect, great taste.

Anyways...

Ron Goodwin makes his eight choices on Desert Island Discs. Interestingly, both Rozsa and Goodwin choose Ravel's DAPHNIS ET CHLOE as one of their castaway pieces but only Goodwin chooses a piece of film music, Rozsa's Love Theme from BEN-HUR cool
  13. Finishing off my series. After the, as I dub them, Angry score and the Fun score, comes time for the Romantic score of the series, that is:

Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo III

This score is defined by the Afghanistan theme and a new theme for John J. The new theme boasts a more Americana approach to the loneliness-laden It's a Long Road (which in Part II becomes a love theme). All new material is based on the same four starting notes, which is also a great example of Goldsmith making versatile motifs that carry the scores and work well as a rhythmic device (the four notes often are used as a standalone motif in the action music).

This score is a more well-rounded dramatic score, with the great action music coming up as the obvious highlight. Myself though, I love all the instances of the new Afghanistan theme, a very romantic melody with hints of tragedy (surely regarding the nation). Another thing connecting the three scores is an Americana motif which is used and varied (variated?) throughout the whole series, used very sparsely (interestingly moreso in First Blood than both sequel scores altogether). That makes Rambo III the most varied of the scores. Also it's the longest one. The unused end credits piece (I'll Stay) is an obvious highlight of the series. It's a great wrap to an amazing trilogy.

Because, aside from The Matrix, I think this is the best scored film trilogy ever. Goldsmith made three scores that are similar and coherent while retaining stylisticall difference between the three of them. Using the same thematic material for different emotional purposes is something only the best composers can do. I mentioned the Matrix, but I also should mention another brilliantly scored and conceived film score trilogy, which is John Powell's Bourne works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NOPE! Best scored trilogy = STAR WARS episodes IV, V & VI cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Prometheus (Streiten & Gregson)

Tracks 1, 4, 5 and 24 are all I need. I don't care about the rest, but these 4 tracks are most excellent.

Peter smile
  14. First, I don't really count Star Wars as an action trilogy. Second, I forgot to mention that I don't count here trilogies that make for a full narrative, like this and Lord of the Rings. It's one huge story when it comes to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, Rambo and Bourne movies are self-contained.