• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012
    Black Gold - James Horner

My favourite score of the year by a mile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012 edited
    NP: John Carter - Michael Giacchino

The best score of the year by infiniti!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    And Angels in America!

I don't quite hear that in Whispers. That oboe theme almost immediately conjured up Quilt, though.

The oboe theme is virtually the same melody as one of the main themes in Angels, isn't it?

It does sound a little bit like the Ellis Island cue from Angels, now that you mention it. Newman clearly loves the oboe, it seems.
  2. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Actually it first appeared in Sneakers. Funny how motifs evolve...

Oh, so he's not been steali -- I mean borrowing from other composers, he's just been evolving their ideas!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Black Gold - James Horner

My favourite score of the year by a mile.

Same here, along with JOHN CARTER.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: John Carter - Michael Giacchino

The best score of the year by infiniti!

-Erik-

After BLACK GOLD smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012
    No... I said infiniti! Double stamp it, no erasies! And you can't triple stamp a double stamp! La La La La La!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hummm... I always thought Bobby Fischer was released before Sneakers. I see now that I was wrong. Funny... it that little motif really came to the forefront in Fischer where as it was somewhat in the background in the Sneakers mix. Then again, "Josh And Vinnie" is pretty much the Sneakers main title.

Damn you, HOOOORRRRRRRRRNEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! crazy

-Erik-

And lets not forget his use of that motif (or chord progression) again in "Machine Age" the opening track of Bicentennial Man!
  3. justin boggan wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Actually it first appeared in Sneakers. Funny how motifs evolve...

Oh, so he's not been steali -- I mean borrowing from other composers, he's just been evolving their ideas!

More like paying homage. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hummm... I always thought Bobby Fischer was released before Sneakers. I see now that I was wrong. Funny... it that little motif really came to the forefront in Fischer where as it was somewhat in the background in the Sneakers mix. Then again, "Josh And Vinnie" is pretty much the Sneakers main title.

-Erik-

And lets not forget his use of that motif (or chord progression) again in "Machine Age" the opening track of Bicentennial Man!

Don't remind me!

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's ok for you to like it most in the score where you encountered it first. kiss
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Now that is a score where the lifts truly do go to an egregious place...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    Taste is a funny thing, but one thing Spider-Man could surely not be accused of is a lack of focus. It seems to possess all of Horner's usual high level of considered construction and the scale of the musical architecture is immense. Like it, don't like it, whatever, but it is acutely well-developed and focused, moreso than is commonly found in scores for this type of film.

It's all over the place. The Perfect Storm is a great example of a score being completely focused in both its action and dramatic parts. There's tons more satisfaction to be had from that one.

Like I said - I perfectly understand anyone not sharing my taste about something - but I just think you're plain wrong. There is no more single-minded film composer than James Horner and the level of focus in Spider-Man is incredible. He has a clear path and he sticks to it. Not a note of that score is unfocused. You might think it's boring or old-fashioned or some such, but it is absolutely not unfocused. The way little motivic fragments appear in one place, get twisted round into something else later on, fully developed in another cue; or the way one melody's counterpoint is later used as an A-melody itself - this is stuff that goes so much further than most film composers.

I find parts of it extremely boring, but I've never found it old-fashioned. In fact had he written it like in the old days with clear and fully developed melodies, into tracks that make complete sense and with a clear sense of direction, I would've loved it to bits. Here I think he just did the job, not caring how it all would blend together in the end.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Ultraman Great - SINSUKE KAZATO

This is a wonderful score that really hits the spot.
    Performed by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (my local Orchestra, yay!) Ultraman is filled with great themes and rich "old school"orchestral class. A great listen!
    Special thanks to Gilles for getting me onto this in the first place!
  7. Didn't know the orchestra was from your vicinity, mate !

And it's my pleasure. You made me discover the wonders of Super Atragon. Though I hope to eventually find a copy. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER - JAMES HORNER

Now here's one that's the opposite of Spiderman IMO.

'The Ambush' is the epitome of awesome, and if you think it's not there's something wrong with you. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    'The Ambush' is pure adrenalin pumping scoregasmic awesomeness! I yearn for more music like this but it's sadly extinct in today's musical climate. Great score all round that one! cool
  9. Yeah, especially compared to 'The Amazing .... ' Ah you know what I'm not going to say it any more. I'm done with that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Lol. I'm still trying to make up my mind on that one. Though I do lean toward your views on it at this moment in time. That may or may not change after seeing the film. I dunno.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KINGDOMS OF AMALUR : RECKONING - Grant Kirkhope

Gilles thinks this is decent, I think it's a bit better than that, I was a bit worried it would be full of apocalyptic choral cliches but thankfully it's not with some nice, moody melodic writing the music breathes, I'm really pleased I bought this.

The only downside is that many of the tracks 'fade out'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

Gilles thinks this is decent, I think it's a bit better than that, I was a bit worried it would be full of apocalyptic choral cliches but thankfully it's not with some nice, moody melodic writing the music breathes, I'm really pleased I bought this.

I must play this one again! I really liked it when I first heard it a few months back.
    I found the fade outs annoying so I edited together a version with those tracks having false endings. Quite a chore I can tell you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, especially compared to 'The Amazing .... ' Ah you know what I'm not going to say it any more. I'm done with that one.

Yeah you're getting very tiring.
  10. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, especially compared to 'The Amazing .... ' Ah you know what I'm not going to say it any more. I'm done with that one.

Yeah you're getting very tiring.

beer

You know, I realise this myself. You won't hear anything from me anymore about this score.

And I don't want to watch the film so you guys can all go praise it sky high. I don't care. wink
  11. Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

I must play this one again! I really liked it when I first heard it a few months back.
    I found the fade outs annoying so I edited together a version with those tracks having false endings. Quite a chore I can tell you!

You realize that there is a version on that forum you know of that has all those tracks finished like it should've been.
  12. THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - JOHN T. W.

Holy crap & fuck yeah. Now THIS is glorious film music !!!!! punk cool cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    John Carter - Michael Giacchino

There are some fantastic things in this. I'm not sure it quite hits the peaks of Super 8, but still impressive. I think it would benefit from a considerably tighter album though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    I find parts of it extremely boring, but I've never found it old-fashioned. In fact had he written it like in the old days with clear and fully developed melodies, into tracks that make complete sense and with a clear sense of direction, I would've loved it to bits. Here I think he just did the job, not caring how it all would blend together in the end.

As everyone knows, I don't like to labour points (OK, perhaps I love to labour points) but I do take issue with that. You're accusing him of being unprofessional and I just don't think that's right at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

There are some fantastic things in this. I'm not sure it quite hits the peaks of Super 8, but still impressive. I think it would benefit from a considerably tighter album though.

It's plain awesome, best score of the year, 2nd one after Black Gold wink Shame it accompanies such a shitty movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

It's plain awesome, best score of the year, 2nd one after Black Gold wink Shame it accompanies such a shitty movie.

I really must see the film.

I agree with the esteemed Mr Southall that a tighter album would have benefitted the score, I find it a noisy chore to get all the way through.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I agree with the esteemed Mr Southall that a tighter album would have benefitted the score, I find it a noisy chore to get all the way through.

That's why this is only my third listen to it, and I've had it since January. There's just too much chaff and not enough wheat. But the good bits are so very good, I wish I had time to make the album that should have been made from it.