• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Spider-Man - Danny Elfman

Superb!

-Erik-

Not as good as Horner's. tongue

Riiiiiiiight! moon

-Erik-

The current standing on Horner's Spiderman:

HATE : 2

LOVE : EVERYONE ELSE
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Hugo

My God, this is definitely not for me.

n.p. JAMES HORNER - karate kid reboot

Lovely score for a shitty movie.

I thought the film was entertaining ( I know, I'm weird, sometimes I'm easily pleased and at others I can be so unforgiving ), the only real minus was Will Smith's awfully self aware spoilt little brat.

The Karate Kid (2010) is definitely not a shitty movie. It actually has a lot of heart and features some of the most stunning images of China in an american production. I thought they've done a good job of capturing that special Chinese mystic vibe in the film, and part of why I'm so interested in seeing it every now and then. Plus Jackie Chan is always awesome. And Jaden Smith... I loved him in the part.

We two are sooo different my friend. I could bith-slap the little brat all day wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Nah... he'll just do his one leg back flip on you and you'd be in hospital in an instant... tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote

I don't hate it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    We two are sooo different my friend. I could bith-slap the little brat all day wink

He would probably knock you on your ass!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

What I said. The little guy has had extensive martial arts training.
  4. I'm enjoying all the Horner love. I really liked Karate Kid. "Final Contest"... shocked
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I don't hate it.

-Erik-

But you don't love it so I can't put you with everyone else, can I?

Ah you know what, maybe in 5 months time I'll give it another chance and probably join the fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Right now it's average at best. There are some truly great cues in a mix of substandard been there, done that moments.

-Erik-
  6. At this point, I'd say the main theme is beyond reproach. I especially like the first cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tai-Pan - Maurice Jarre

Absolutely breathtaking. Gorgeous lyrical themes, big orchestra, huge orchestral swells, far east influences... what's there not to like? Great score!

-Erik-
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    How about some older horner:

JAMES HORNER - Patriot Games

Oh my God, awful. Make it stop!

I really like this one actually! "The Hit" is excellent as is the deeply emotional "Electonic Battlefield."

-Erik-

"Electronic Battlefield" is a great sequence in the film, nicely scored.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Electronic Battlefield

punk

Horner nails it!

He even nails the London Ambush!

Classic Horner build up to utter chaos!

-Erik-
  8. ... so naturally he basically reused the cue in CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, but no matter that.

I've never heard TAI PAN actually. Is it commercially available?
  9. Oh wait, what's this I see in the Jarre thread? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    ... so naturally he basically reused the cue in CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, but no matter that.

Are you talking about The Motorcade?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    ... so naturally he basically reused the cue in CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, but no matter that.

Surely even James Horner can't be criticised for using music from one film in that film's sequel!

But Clear and Present Danger is a bit of a compilation score - a very enjoyable one!
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Are you talking about The Motorcade?

-Erik-

No, I think 'Electronic Warfare' pops up in the scene where Jack Ryan is studying satellite photos of a drug cartel compound (appropriately enough). I liked the music in both scenes. smile

NP: Gattaca (Nyman)

'The Departure' is one of the most beautiful pieces written for a sci-fi film ever. Nyman isn't always my taste, but he will always find his own way into a film.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26-migpeVJM
  11. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Surely even James Horner can't be criticised for using music from one film in that film's sequel!

Not at all. Others were less forgiving than me, but I never minded it (probably because I saw the latter film first wink ).
  12. NP - THE LOST CHILD - Mark McKenzie

There is something about McKenzie's melodies and orchestrations that just resonate perfectly with me. His music is the epitome of what I love about film scores. This score in particular is so beautiful, and so deliberately paced. The grand slow beauty of "Kinaalda Celebration," for example, is just relentless! Wonderful stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

pffffff
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Right now it's average at best. There are some truly great cues in a mix of substandard been there, done that moments.

-Erik-

Something tells me in the end you're going to love it too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012 edited
    MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN - PATRICK DOYLE

One of my favourites from Doyle. This score holds an elegant mix of the macabre and the beautiful, superb stuff. What a shame he has lost this particular voice. In the end this score remains very interesting, like so much of his early work. I just keep on loving this part in his career, not so much his recent scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Something tells me in the end you're going to love it too smile

See ya in 5 years for the answer.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

pffffff

The Brat would end up on the summit of Mount Olympus after D's boot connected with his brat arse!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... again... I highly doubt that. I wouldn't want to take on anyone... including a kid who has the type of training he got for the movie.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

So far it doesn't suck.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

So far it doesn't suck.

-Erik-

Why would it? smile listening too now
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It doesn't suck but it's not great! It is what it is.

EDIT - Having finished my first listen I'll say this... I'd rather listen to Spider-Man. wink The first three tracks are a nice tease but ultimately the score doesn't really go anywhere or have anything interesting to say.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Game of Thrones Season 2: Ramin Djawadi

So far a lot more interesting to my ears than the first season was. Less ambient soundscapes and more aggressive action and drama.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!