• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to The Dark Knight Rises I couldn't help feel that it was at its best when it reminded me of The Dark Knight.

I agree! Funny, since I never really appreciated The Dark Knight...
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have always liked the two-note motif that Zimmer has used in these films, and it brightens the listening when that appears. And I like Zimmer's sound when he brings in the ostinato patterns. But these were particularly in evidence in The Dark Knight.

One reason why I think I enjoyed the third score more than the second (at least after one listen) is that it did not rely on these devices so much. I think they were used so much in the previous films that I got really tired of them. That they appear less often here made me appreciate them more.

Or maybe it's just that the rest of the score was lackluster enough that hearing those Zimmer Batman sounds gave me something familiar to grab ahold of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    punk punk RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK punk punk

It's that time of the year again... listening to the TRILOGY starting with this little known masterpiece.

The Concord release has really opened my ears to the point I am enjoying this Williams classic more than ever. Filled with so many mind-blowing cues, I thank the heavens this kind of music exists, and that the maestro is still among the living !!! beer

It's the first time I have rated Raiders the full 5 stars it clearly deserves. Shame on me ... shame

You can whip me Erik! And put some effort into it.

You should really be listening to the far superior DCC release.

:whip:

-Erik-

Or you can hear the definitive "Atham Edition" which contains virtually every single note!

There surely must be a line up by now for that whipping you so very much deserve! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After listening to Hans Zimmer's torturous score for The Dark Knight Rises I need something refreshing...

NP : WILLOW - James Horner

Ahhhhhhhhh...much better now thank you biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET (John Williams)

This is an incredibly beautiful (and hypnotic) score that gets FAR too litte recognition. Williams at his most lush and outgoing...and at the same time introspective.

I agree Thor, a lovely score and one that is not neglected by me.

Not by me either. It's time I give it another spin. After Indiana Jones that is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    punk punk RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK punk punk

It's that time of the year again... listening to the TRILOGY starting with this little known masterpiece.

The Concord release has really opened my ears to the point I am enjoying this Williams classic more than ever. Filled with so many mind-blowing cues, I thank the heavens this kind of music exists, and that the maestro is still among the living !!! beer

It's the first time I have rated Raiders the full 5 stars it clearly deserves. Shame on me ... shame

You can whip me Erik! And put some effort into it.

You should really be listening to the far superior DCC release.

:whip:

-Erik-

Or you can hear the definitive "Atham Edition" which contains virtually every single note!

There surely must be a line up by now for that whipping you so very much deserve! wink

In all honesty guys: I must've been on something all these years by not thinking that Raiders was just among the top works by Williams. For that I humbly apologize. But the Concord seems to hold a pretty well rounded presentation that strikes me as perfect. Yes I know 'Desert Chase' is incomplete but when I hear the cue on the Concord CD, it's every bit as awesome as I remember it in the film. I seriously don't need anything else.

And Atham: I don't have to have every single note written for Raiders but if it's a bit like my 'Hook Definitive Edition' then I'm very interested in what you've done with it. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    After listening to Hans Zimmer's torturous score for The Dark Knight Rises I need something refreshing...

NP : WILLOW - James Horner

Ahhhhhhhhh...much better now thank you biggrin cool

Now Willow, for me is a prime example of Horner's awesome as hell and brilliant 80s output. He can write 9 more Spider-man sequels, but they will never be as great or epic as Willow.

Every cue raises a smile, every couple of minutes there's a goosebump waiting to happen. One of my 5 deserted island Horners, for sure.

A remaster + expansion would make me very happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

Very enjoyable. Lots of fun new stuff and reprisals of previous materials and sometime they all congeal into the same track, like in "Imagine the Fire", which is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    In all honesty guys: I must've been on something all these years by not thinking that Raiders was just among the top works by Williams. For that I humbly apologize. But the Concord seems to hold a pretty well rounded presentation that strikes me as perfect. Yes I know 'Desert Chase' is incomplete but when I hear the cue on the Concord CD, it's every bit as awesome as I remember it in the film. I seriously don't need anything else.

The editing of Desert Chase was unnecessary and it's actually quite awful! There is a groove and build up with that piece that is completely destroyed by unnecessary edits. The perfect album is the DCC presentation even if it is missing a few cues. The whole package complete obliterates the Concord release as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    2nd day of streaming, still 1 week before reelase, already too-much talked about. Thank God Jordi's posting on facebook wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    2nd day of streaming, still 1 week before reelase, already too-much talked about. Thank God Jordi's posting on facebook wink

Looking at facebook earlier I say I completely agree with you dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    Thank God Jordi's posting on facebook wink

He is a shadow of his former self. Five - six years ago the message board would have been flooded by Jordi's posts regarding The Dark Knight Rises. He's getting old.....

Aaaahh, good ol' times...
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Facebook is flooding now smile What happened to this guy? he's getting soft? i see him dedicating moon pictures to the future love of his love, that's enough Twilight for him then wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Facebook is flooding now smile What happened to this guy? he's getting soft? i see him dedicating moon pictures to the future love of his love, that's enough Twilight for him then wink

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And all that at 3 am!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He's already apologised.... in advance!!! spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN - James Horner

All the Horner tricks are here and I'm loving it!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

The editing of Desert Chase was unnecessary and it's actually quite awful! There is a groove and build up with that piece that is completely destroyed by unnecessary edits. The perfect album is the DCC presentation even if it is missing a few cues. The whole package complete obliterates the Concord release as well.

-Erik-

If you add IMO I will do so too, and then we'll both be right. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote.

Aaaahh, good ol' times...

Must be some strange connotation to the term "good" I wasn't previously aware of...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHILDREN OF JUNE - Brian Tyler

I haven't heard this in a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not for 10 days, at least!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very laconic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Bored already!

NP : LITTLE BUDDHA - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Much much better love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Awesome!
  5. Demetris wrote
    Awesome!

I agree, the fact Children of Dune is ... boring tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN - James Horner

All the Horner tricks are here and I'm loving it!

It certainly has some of Horner's tricks, but it does feel like quite a different score from him. I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Absolutely love it too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote:
    Timmer wrote

Bored already!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I agree, the fact Children of Dune is ... boring tongue

slant
    I think it's a marvelous and rich score, and one I enjoy returning to very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Lost Child - Mark McKenzie

This is wonderful. The main theme has that kind of profoundly sad but somehow achingly beautiful feel that Georges Delerue did so many times.