• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012 edited
    NP: Deep Impact - James Horner

I have a real soft spot for both film and score. I thought this was the better of the two deadly asteroid pictures released in 1998 and it was the best score (even though Rabin did write some terrific material for Armageddon) Even though Deep Impact is saccharine as all hell the human story still managed to grab a hold of me and drew me in. A lot of that had to do with Horner's solid score highlighted by the lovely "The Wedding" cue. The end titles is also another highlight - the orchestral crescendo to choral theme is outstanding!

EDIT - It has been ages since I've listened to this score so I forgot how bloody brilliant "Our Best Hope..." was. Almost 14 minutes of classic Horner writing! It then picks up right where it left off with some fantastic orchestral tension in "The Comet's Sunrise." Wow! A minute later a lone trumpet calls out backed by subdued strings and all of a sudden your heart sinks. Really outstanding stuff here!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... again... I highly doubt that. I wouldn't want to take on anyone... including a kid who has the type of training he got for the movie.

-Erik-

My rule (and I strictly adhere to it) is that I won't take on anyone older than a quarter of my age or less than three times it. I suspect I soon need to change the parameter at the bottom end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

I have a real soft spot for both film and score. I thought this was the better of the two deadly asteroid pictures released in 1998 and it was the best score (even though Rabin did write some terrific material for Armageddon) Even though Deep Impact is saccharine as all hell the human story still managed to grab a hold of me and drew me in. A lot of that had to do with Horner's solid score highlighted by the lovely "The Wedding" cue. The end titles is also another highlight - the orchestral crescendo to choral theme is outstanding!

EDIT - It has been ages since I've listened to this score so I forgot how bloody brilliant "Our Best Hope..." was. Almost 14 minutes of classic Horner writing! It then picks up right where it left off with some fantastic orchestral tension in "The Comet's Sunrise." Wow! A minute later a lone trumpet calls out backed by subdued strings and all of a sudden your heart sinks. Really outstanding stuff here!

-Erik-

Now... that one I really do remember finding boring. Perhaps I should give it another listen. (I thought the film and score were both better than Armageddon, but that's faint praise.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the album plays really well. There's a lot of really good stuff going on in the score. Maybe it's nostalgia.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Deep Impact is a pretty strong score, I think. I agree with Eric's assessment above.

NP - THE DARK KNIGHT RISES - Hans Zimmer

Most of this is what I expected. Lots of driving rhythm, the chanting from the preview, the batman "theme"... There are a couple of surprises. The solo piano in a couple of tracks was unexpected, as was the solo voice in "Rise," which is the highlight of the new score for me. I really like how Zimmer takes those minor thirds we've all come to associate with this franchise and changes them. The ascending idea is very hopeful sounding, and quite good, I think. I also liked how the chanting (is that Bane's theme?) is used as counterpoint for the batman theme in one of the tracks. I miss JNH's input. I haven't been too impressed by anything Zimmer has written for a Nolan film, and this doesn't change my mind, but there are a couple highlights that made this, at first impression, a little better than the Dark Knight for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I absolutely adore 'Our Best Hope'. It builds and builds and has some very interesting ideas going on, synth-wise. In fact the three longest cues of this album are just dynamite Horner and I love the score just for those three.

The music makes the movie so much better, much more heartfelt, also because of the restrained and realistic depiction of the events, compared to Armageddon.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

Zimmer's claim that he had invented a whole new kind of music that had never been heard before is not much in evidence in this incredibly boring, cliche-ridden album whose main purpose seems to be to very carefully ensure there is no emotional response from the listener whatsoever. What a load of rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

Zimmer's claim that he had invented a whole new kind of music that had never been heard before is not much in evidence in this incredibly boring, cliche-ridden album whose main purpose seems to be to very carefully ensure there is no emotional response from the listener whatsoever. What a load of rubbish.

And me thinking the third one would be the good one......
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I should say that I'm not a big fan of either of the first two, but this seems a significant backward step from even them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    You just made it even worse.....not a big fan of the first two.

Although I wonder who is more responsible, Nolan or Zimmer.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Am I the only one not even remotely interested in hearing The Dark Knight Rises? I absolutely hated the previous two scores, I don't like the movies either, and I have zero interest in seeing this new instalment.

And man, give me 90s Zimmer any day of the week...

In fact give me 90s anybody if you get what I'm saying.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    Southall wrote
    I should say that I'm not a big fan of either of the first two, but this seems a significant backward step from even them.

True. With the exception of the 2 gorgeous trailer pieces...which are NOT on the album!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote

Well, actually, the fact that you don't belief it elicits an emotional response is good evidence for it indeed being a whole new kind of music...because a whole new kind of music naturally wouldn't elicit emotional responses, since it will lack the factors that normal kinds of music use to do said eliciting. :P
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Am I the only one not even remotely interested in hearing The Dark Knight Rises? I absolutely hated the previous two scores, I don't like the movies either, and I have zero interest in seeing this new instalment.

Wake up, it's 2012 smile
  3. Perhaps James Horner should've scored the Batman films...
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Am I the only one not even remotely interested in hearing The Dark Knight Rises? I absolutely hated the previous two scores, I don't like the movies either, and I have zero interest in seeing this new instalment.

Nope, you share company with me on this, too.

Hold my hand and I'll slug you.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Speaking of Horner, I especially love the "Rumble in the Subway" track on Spider Man. Funky...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Perhaps James Horner should've scored the Batman films...

I still love what he did with the franchise.
  6. Who, Zimmer? Nolan?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Both. Third score is weaker but i don't think it cancels the other 2, far superior ones.
  7. Demetris wrote
    Both. Third score is weaker but i don't think it cancels the other 2, far superior ones.

Listening to The Dark Knight Rises I couldn't help feel that it was at its best when it reminded me of The Dark Knight.

I have always liked the two-note motif that Zimmer has used in these films, and it brightens the listening when that appears. And I like Zimmer's sound when he brings in the ostinato patterns. But these were particularly in evidence in The Dark Knight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote

Listening to The Dark Knight Rises I couldn't help feel that it was at its best when it reminded me of The Dark Knight.

I have always liked the two-note motif that Zimmer has used in these films, and it brightens the listening when that appears. And I like Zimmer's sound when he brings in the ostinato patterns. But these were particularly in evidence in The Dark Knight.

I guess I'm the only one so far who seem to be enjoying the score much more so. The new Reckoning material is excellent and compliment the previous thematic pieces very nicely. The Dark Knight score had many highlights for sure, but I didn't realize most of them until after seeing the movie. Already, the new score has more moments for me to grab onto and that's a plus, and thus makes me want to see the movie even more. Not to mention a couple of thematic materials that are also new to the franchise.
  8. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Wake up, it's 2012 smile

Ha, right now it's 1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark is on.

AWESOME FILM MUSIC !!!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    punk punk RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK punk punk

It's that time of the year again... listening to the TRILOGY starting with this little known masterpiece.

The Concord release has really opened my ears to the point I am enjoying this Williams classic more than ever. Filled with so many mind-blowing cues, I thank the heavens this kind of music exists, and that the maestro is still among the living !!! beer

It's the first time I have rated Raiders the full 5 stars it clearly deserves. Shame on me ... shame

You can whip me Erik! And put some effort into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET (John Williams)

This is an incredibly beautiful (and hypnotic) score that gets FAR too litte recognition. Williams at his most lush and outgoing...and at the same time introspective.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote

This is an incredibly beautiful (and hypnotic) score that gets FAR too litte recognition. Williams at his most lush and outgoing...and at the same time introspective.

Beautiful score, indeed. My second favorite score by John Williams after Memoirs of a Gheisha. I'm a huge fan of this kind of scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    punk punk RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK punk punk

It's that time of the year again... listening to the TRILOGY starting with this little known masterpiece.

The Concord release has really opened my ears to the point I am enjoying this Williams classic more than ever. Filled with so many mind-blowing cues, I thank the heavens this kind of music exists, and that the maestro is still among the living !!! beer

It's the first time I have rated Raiders the full 5 stars it clearly deserves. Shame on me ... shame

You can whip me Erik! And put some effort into it.

You should really be listening to the far superior DCC release.

:whip:

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've matched the editing of the Concord release with that of the DCC one, I just wish the full Desert Chase cue was on there.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Re: Batman

Erik Woods wrote
    The first three tracks are a nice tease but ultimately the score doesn't really go anywhere or have anything interesting to say.

-Erik-

Aside from those early tracks, the middle section was rather dull, then there was a fairly good action cue, then some sad stuff, then it was over.

There must be a lot more music in the movie though. The opening of track 4 sounds like it's ripped from Elfman's The Wolfman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I agree Thor, a lovely score and one that is not neglected by me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt